PDA

View Full Version : 1.9TDI cutting out/stalling on start up?

daviemac11
29-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi,
I've recently been having an intermittant problem with my 2002 A4 Avant 1.9TDI.
Occasionally when I go to start the car the revs instantly drop and the car stalls. It will do this 2 or 3 times consecutively when I attempt to start the car and then it will start perfectly. Once started, the car runs perfect with no problems what so ever???
Anyone got any ideas before I try and get it plugged into a vagcom?
Cheers,
Davie.

benjie
29-01-2010, 04:15 PM
VCDS may tell you differently, but the EGR (Exhaust gas recirc) valve may be clogged - that sometimes causes poor running too, which you don't have , so I may be wrong.

Mugzy
29-01-2010, 04:21 PM
It maybe that you have some water in the ECU enclosure and this may be affecting the fuel pump relay. I had this problem and the garage replaced two relays and made sure the housing was correctly sealed. Hope this is of some help.

crazy88
29-01-2010, 08:56 PM
It's not the imobiliser is it? I recently got a new (2nd hand fob) as my car only came with one. Anyway, when i got the new blade cut i tried it out, to check it fit the ignition barrel. THe car would start, but immediately the revs drop, and it stalls itself as the immobiliser transponder was the wrong one (which i knew, but it was just a test). So, just wasn't sure if maybe the transponder was playing up, and not de-immobilising your car, causing it to stall?

Sorry for the lengthy paragraph, ha.

daviemac11
29-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions guys. They've given me a few things to check out.

Now that i think of it, I think the last time I ran a diagnostics check on my car there was a fault that came up that related to the immobiliser.:confused:
Will maybe start by having a look at this.
Thanks again,
Davie.:beerchug:

Sailorf80
21-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Realise this may be late in the day for this thread, but I've just had the same snag with my A6.

Having only had the car a few days and as there was only one key when I bought it I enquired about a new key with Audi. Basically I'm looking at £190 for a new one; however in the meantime the one key I do have is very worn so I picked up a new one (minus transponder) from ebay.

To tart mine up I basically took the two keys apart put the transponder section (lower) and attached it to the new upper section with the original key blade. Simples.....you'd think so but not really.

Went out to the car and initially remote CL wouldn't work; so I opened the car with the key manually, put the key into the ignition, two clicks clockwise. left it for a few seconds, took it out and tried again. Fine.. the remote CL operated fine, so as far as I know problem solved......however..

Went out to the car this morning, opened up as normal (remote CL), put the key into the ignition, fired up and it instantly stalled. Must have done this ten times to no avail.

Bearing in mind the only thing I've touched is the key, am guessing that's it so back in the house put all parts back to how they were, out to the car and bang car runs fine, and thus far no further problems.

I don't understand it, as it's the same transponder and key blade, but the car will only run with original key body......wierd!!