PDA

View Full Version : Should we buy a Touran???

madwelshman
28-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie on here so please bare with me.
My partner and I are thinking about buying a Touran Tdi. She has Arthritis and we need a vehicle thats not to big, but is a little easier for her to get in and out of. We have a 2000 model Fiat Brava at the moment and because the roofline is a little low, she struggles to get in and out on times, especially if parked buy a kerb.

Anyway, we've test driven a Touran 105Tdi match and both loved it.
When we got home I had a look online to see what problems there were with the range and which diesel they reconed was the best to go for. The 105hp engine seemed about right, and the one we tried wasn't even run in.
Anyway, the reports Ive read, range from excellent vehicle with no/very few faults, to wouldn't entertain another VW car ever again because we've had so many problems.
Abs ECU problems, Turbo failure, CANBUS wiring problems, etc.

I read that one person was told that VW had addressed these problems at the time of the facelift in 06, but have also read other owners reports stating the same problems on newer cars(06 on).

We're a little concerned now, which is a huge shame as we both really like the Touran and had pretty much set our hearts on one.

So what do you folks think? :1zhelp:

Will

zollaf
28-01-2010, 11:59 PM
welcome to the forum.
remember that people usually tell everyone about problems that they have got with their car via the internet, but wont often tell everyone their car is great and fault free. if you read through this forum, its mainly people trying to resolve faults or having a moan about something. this only represents a very small minority of owners though. i dont own a touran though, so cant tell you much about them, other than if you do like it and it suits your needs, then seriously consider it. there are a lot of them out there and if you buy it from a dealer, you will get a warranty. obviously if its brand new you get 3 years worth.
good luck deciding.

madwelshman
29-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks Zollaf for the Welcome.
I agree with what your saying and yes, most people use the internet to vent their anger and frustration and a much fewer number to praise the vehicles that they own(Some of the specific make/model forums to a lesser degree).
We're definitely not ruling a Touran out, We just want to get a better idea as to what we're letting ourselves in for first I suppose.

Will

repoker23
29-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Hi Will,

I bought a 2004 manual TDi S 105 in 2005 with 9k on the clock as the main family car....no faults to report.

I also bought a 2006 DSG TDI SE Auto plate in May 2009 with 64k on the clock (direct from a lease company), keeping the one above so have two now..... Auto for the wife and I kept the manual.

If I had to change it, it would be for another Touran.

So as said no matter what you buy, when you do you reseach on the web you will mainly find people who only post problems.

Hope this helps in quest.

Good luck

touran05
29-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I brought my Ran 1.9 tdi new 2005 now at 88000

Faults so far since new

broken crusie control fixed under warranty
boot latch cover fixed under warranty
2 clutch master cylinders
1 Abs Pump at £1600 no help from VW

I am now told i need a new Dmf at 73000

Everything was going well till the dreaded esp light came on last April i was generally happy with the car ,would probaly have gone for another but gready VW have now upped thier prices .

GBJ
29-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Hello.
By coincidence my wife also suffers from arthritis, and pretty much for the same reasons she runs a Touran, in fact we are on our second 1.9 tdi(105) SE! We bought both new from the local VW dealer, we replaced the last one just before the warranty expired and the only things that have gone wrong are minor such as rattles, bulbs etc.
My wife covers about 12k per annum, this includes us using the car for family holidays.
She gets excellent economy (averages 42 mpg on the island).
Our main complaint about the car is the lack of a spare wheel, as we have suffered a blowout on the current one, and as the tyre was beyond using the goo and pump supplied ,we had to be recovered which took much longer than if i could have put a spare on. The other little niggle for her is that the side of the drivers seat is a little hard and she says that at first getting in and out was uncomfortable, but with time she seems to have either got used to it or altered her approach.
Like all machines there will be both good and bad examples, and like you we read a lot of negative things about Tourans but we decided to take the risk and get one anyway, we have not been disappointed so far and will probably buy a new one in the next 18 months.

madwelshman
31-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks very much guys and girls,
Your replies and info is very much appreciated. I agree with you all in the fact that owners do tend to make public faults and problems that they have incured. Unfortunately praise is published far less frequently.
We have both still pretty much got our hearts set on a Touran, but I was still wondering whether VW we're being honest with the statement that the commonly reported faults had been addressed in any way on the later models. It does seem though as you've said, It's luck of the draw!!!
I read recently there's a new Touran out this year, I think we may wait until closer to the launch date before buying(if this is true) that way, we may be able to barter a better deal on a new(current shape) or ex demo model.

Thanks again
Will