PDA

View Full Version : flashing symbols?

dieselal
15-05-2007, 07:16 AM
I've just had the abs,esp (yellow),brake fluid (red)and then the glow plug symbol flashing on and off (yellow)on the dash of my 2002 a6 1.9 tdi.
The fluid is between the min and max, where it is supposed to be.
HELP!:confused:

Lex Luthor
15-05-2007, 08:02 AM
My money is on brake switch failure.
The glowplug symbol means that a fault code has been logged.
Find someone who can read it. The dealer will change you 1/2 hours work.

dieselal
15-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Lex,
How embarrasing, went outside and found the fluid level to be down, the rear pads are worn a bit.When I checked the level this morning it looked fine, but it was just getting light outside.I didn't know that the glow plug symbol flashed yellow when a fault stored?
Getting it scanned and cleared later today, just incase.:o

dieselal
20-05-2007, 04:11 AM
Help!
Warning symbols have flashed up again, indicating that the brake fluid is low, checked and it is low?
Also my mpg is dreadful, despite changing EGR valve and Maff sensor, I have noticed a lot of bluish coloured smoke on acceleration , especialy when pulling away from lights after idling for a couple of minutes.
What can it be??:confused: :( :1zhelp:

dieselal
20-05-2007, 04:29 AM
Forgot to mention that no visible fluid leaks, I'm guessing that the brake fluid may be leaking past the master cylinder seals and into the servo then the inlet manifold and burning it off, hence the smoke, would this have any affect on mpg???:confused:

Lex Luthor
20-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Forgot to mention that no visible fluid leaks

Have you checked each caliper ?
Mine leaked from the banjo on a rear caliper.

dieselal
20-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi,
Taking the car for my father to have a look, will check for all visible leaks, but cannot help wondering if this is related to smoke on acceleration and poor mpg, as I have changed everything in connection with poor mpg like, MAFF, EGR, filters??:confused:

Lex Luthor
20-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi,
Taking the car for my father to have a look, will check for all visible leaks, but cannot help wondering if this is related to smoke on acceleration and poor mpg, as I have changed everything in connection with poor mpg like, MAFF, EGR, filters??:confused:

What colour is the smoke ?
Black means you have an under-air condition probably caused by a boost leak.

The next step would be to use VAGCOM to log the engine breathing parameters, while driving to, determine where the problem lies.

There is no route from the brake servo to the inlet side of the engine on a diesel.

dieselal
20-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi,
The colour of smoke is light greyish when looking in the rear view mirror, yet when I revved the car whilst idling a few minutes ago, the colour was black, the engine was still cold though.Cannot find any visible leak of brake fluid anywhere but still took 5 small medicine syringe fulls to top up (I use the syringe because it is tidier) mpg is dreadful, not sure if this fluid loss is related??

dieselal
20-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I have just finnished reading an article in http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html related to the A4 with the same symptoms I have and it was the abs controller/pump. I hope this is not the case because it is very expensive.:( I dont think it is this though because I still have fluid loss, my hunch ( I hope) is that the master cylinder is leaking into the servo or some other cheaper option.

Lex Luthor
20-05-2007, 03:58 PM
You need to hook up to a VAGCOM to debug further.
See if there is a forum member near you, or invest less than 1 hour's labour cost at a main dealer to buy a copy.

dieselal
20-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks Lex,
I rang a work mate who used to work for VW as a panel beater/sprayer, he is trying to get in contact with VW technician, looks like scan is the next step, I'll let You know how it goes.:beerchug:

dieselal
21-05-2007, 08:11 PM
OK, car is now fixed, thanks to a mate of mine who works at VW.The fluid loss was break pad wear and the symbol was that the front pad sensor wire had broken.The other symbols were related to faulty brake switch, now fixed.He also scanned the car whilst driving and said all the parameters were perfect but for very slight overboost on the wastegate of the turbo (have to keep my eye on that because it will mean new turbo) but couldn't understand where the poor fuel consumption problem was as everything showed up ok.
What a worry that was!:Blush: :beerchug: