PDA

View Full Version : Question CD Track Listing

amandaa
28-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I normally use a SD Card for my music with no problem. Today I bought a new CD and decided to listen to it on the way home, but the tracks are just listed 1,2,3 etc., with no other information. The car is a 2010 143 TDi SE Executive with a standard 6 CD unit player. When I loaded further CDs to test it, I got the same result. What is the point of having a 6 CD player if you cannot see what is actually on each of the CDs. Is this the same on all the various models of A4 B8? :zx11:

Issac Hunt
28-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Not all CD's support CD text, thats not the cars fault!

rd1
28-01-2010, 08:24 PM
amandaa,
like you I was disappointed with this basic approach even with MMI high and AMI fitted. The dealer told me that they recognised the problem

'but Audi does give you the facility to label your disc's manually if you wish to!'

Minor niggle for me but still not good enough on this price car :mad:

pitch3110
28-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I have also experienced this with SOME cd's

Gary_W
28-01-2010, 09:29 PM
In the early days of CD, no CD that you bought had any text component to it. A text component was then added (in theory!!!) in the header info at the start of a CD. Not many CD's use it!

For this reason I have to agree with Issac.... when you buy a CD, it will typically not have any labelling information at all. You can prove this to yourself by putting a CD into your computer at home. If it wants to know what the tracks are as opposed to just calling them 1,2,3,4 etc then it has to go online and search for the patern of the CD to know what it is. It will then name the tracks. Some CD's will have the text track, however....

If you want to discover for yourself whether or not a particular CD has it then download Exact Audi Copy (EAC). It's a free program that allows you to rip CD's you own at top quality and it also will show if the CD has text or not. If the ones you are using do not have text then no CD player on the planet that does not feature an Internet connection will help you :)

When you rip a CD onto the computer, you can rip in many different formats, the most common of which is MP3. MP3 has 'tags' built in, and these tags can be used for things such as song title, artist, album title, genre etc. We're all so used to this kind of thing these days that plain old CD's seem positively Spartan. The advantage they give is that they will be at the best sound quality level whereas an MP3 will be compressed. How badly this affects your listening pleasure is determined by the bitrate, the equipment it's heard on and the ear of the listener. I've been re-ripping my collection at 320k and my old ears can't tell the difference vs a CD.

For this reason, I saw no point in the Symphony head unit vs the Concert if you have the AMI.... it's basically the same head unit but it's 1 CD vs 6 CDs. My Concert is unlikely to ever see a CD so the Symphony made no sense.

Gary

amandaa
28-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Thank you for all the replies. At least I now know that it is not the car's CD player at fault. I will be copying my new CD to my SD card anyway and do not normally use the CD player for my music. But at least I have learnt something from the answers given

Thank you

spellsinger
28-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Just for the record (no pun intended) - I was gob-smacked to find a 1983 purchased CD with text:

Jethro Tull - Broadsword And The Beast.

The only reason I can think is that Chrysalis were/are a smaller company and put that bit of extra effort - incidentally the 2005 remaster/re-release which has extra tracks, also has CD text.

But CDs with text are certainly few and far between.

Mike

MFGF
04-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Jethro Tull - Broadsword And The Beast.

Classic album! My only copy is on vinyl, somewhere up in the loft.

My previous car had a 6-disc CD changer in the glovebox, and I used iTunes to rip my original CDs in at full quality, add album/artist/track names, then burn each to a CDRW with CD Text so I could get the track listings in the car (I kept a set of 6 CDRWs specifically for the purpose). When I got bored of an album, I would re-burn the CDRW with a different album.

MF.

kite
04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Classic album! My only copy is on vinyl, somewhere up in the loft.

I would re-burn the CDRW with a different album.

MF.
tightwad!!!!!!!

MFGF
04-02-2010, 12:34 PM
tightwad!!!!!!!

lol! I even labelled the CDRWs so I wouldn't get them mixed up!

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/MFGF1/Image0031.jpg

I spent - oooh - pennies! :biglaugh:

MF.

kite
04-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Now thats a cool label..
When are you around next, I have VCDS !!!!
Oh I've been looking 'A5's............

ScottyUK
04-02-2010, 01:42 PM
CD's in a car? How quaint! :D

MFGF
04-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Now thats a cool label..

Thanks! :) When my previous car was new, AMI had not been released, so the CD changer was the best I could get (and it didn't support MP3s either). I didn't want to keep burning loads of CDR copies of albums, so that's why I went down the CDRW route. I always worried slightly that the CD labels would peel off inside the changer, but thankfully it never happened.

When are you around next, I have VCDS !!!!

I know!! I should hopefully be in your neck of the woods sometime in the next few weeks, before our office there closes. I will let you know once I know more.

Oh I've been looking 'A5's............
Nice! I'd hazard a guess the 3.0TDi Quattros have been catching your eye? Fabulous cars!

Cheers!

MF.

MFGF
04-02-2010, 05:36 PM
CD's in a car? How quaint! :D

I know! I had no other choice at the time. RNS-e was never an option for A6 4f, and AMI had not been released at the time...