PDA

View Full Version : Question 1998 VW Sharan VR6 - Minor Modification Questions

Carouser
28-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Hello All

Apologies if these topics have already been covered, but it has been a while since I've made my last post.

I have a couple of quick questions in connection with my 1998 VR6 Sharan, namely:

1) Is it possibly to bolt a six-speed gear box to the VR6 engine? Due to the size and weight of the vehicle, it seems that the standard five-speed is very highly geared with the engine turning over at high revs beyond 75/80 MPH. The engine is certainly torquey enough to be able to cope with an additional gear which should reduce the engine speed when cruising (and presumably reduce my fuel consumption)?

2) Does anyone know whether a gear stick extension exists for the Sharan? I am aware they are available for the Transporter, but I'm not sure of the Transporter set up. The Sharan has the ring underneath the gear knob that needs lifting prior to putting it in reverse so I'm not sure how a simple extension bar would work with this in mind?

As ever, any assistance offered would be grately appreciated.

Carouser

Crasher
28-01-2010, 02:48 PM
The six speed was introduced in 2001 and typical codes would be FGM, FVR, FPJ, FVB and JBM and yes, before you ask it would have to be a VR6 box as the clutch housing is different. You would need to find a complete donor vehicle rather than finding the parts piece metal as there are so many differences it would drive you mad tracking them all down.

Carouser
28-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Crasher, many thanks for the prompt response.

So, would it not be easy enough for me to pick up a VR6 six-speed box from a 2001 onwards model (rather than acquire a donor vehicle), and simply bolt it to my VR6 engine?

Or are the variances between the 1998 model and 2001 models so vast that I'd need to replace many, many parts that it would be a difficult task?

Given I have a VR6 engine and clutch housing I would have assumed that if a six-speed box existed on the VR6, albeit at a later date then it might just be a direct swap for five-speed box on the earlier model?

As you can probably tell, I'm not that techincally savvy when it comes to cars...

Cheers!

Carouser

Crasher
29-01-2010, 10:06 AM
No it would not, that is why I said you need a donor vehicle to gather together all the other parts as chasing around for all the other required parts will drive you mad or cost daft money new. If you are not “technically savvy with cars” I suggest you sell the car you have and buy a 6 speed version.