PDA

View Full Version : No sixth 6 gear touran

lee-46
28-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone,

My brothers got a 2004 Touran which has NO Sixth Gear.

Whilst driving it wont engage and makes awful grinding noise if you try. If you are sat at idle it will go in to 6th but as you go to pull the clutch out the awful noise is back.

On looking thru the history, we found that a VW technician noticed this on a test drive at 78k miles. His Touran is now on 119k so its been like this for over 40,000 miles!!! :confused:

Ive looked on various forums and there are lots of threads of people having the problem, but no-one's put a fix up. Ive seen some information about a loose bolt on a shaft and / or selector fault etc. Was really trying to find out the fix and approx cost for him?

'CRASHER' thankfully you seem to be the 'VAG GOD' on here, do you have any ideas? Do you need some more information?

Everyone's input is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :biglaugh:

Crasher
28-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Sounds like box out and full strip down to me, those 02S boxes are very problematical. You could try taking the end cover off as I suspect the gears will have stripped. It is just about possible to change 5th and 6th without removing the box but all the debris will have gone inside the box.

lee-46
28-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the response CRASHER.

This is probably not the reply my brother was hoping for but hey-ho i'll tell him the (bad) news.

Because the car has done so many miles like it, i think he was hoping it would be simple fix as stripped gears would usually mean debris floating around and would of killed the box completely (especially in 40,000 miles).

Thanks again.

Crasher
29-01-2010, 10:04 AM
On the Golf 3, 4, Passat etc with the closely related 02A/02J box, I have replaced a lot of 5th gears due to stripping which is caused when the reverse gear selector retaining bolt comes out and slides into the gears. Some debris gets into the box which will stick to the magnet deep inside the box and a couple of flushes with clean oil gets most of the rest out but some boxes I have repaired like this have failed completely later due to debris damage, you give people the choice of an in the car repair or strip down and they take the choice they can afford, I don’t like doing it but I have to do what the owner asks.

lee-46
29-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Yet again great info!

Thanks very much. :beerchug: Much appreciated!

lee-46
06-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi CRASHER!

Long time no speak! Its been a while but my brother finally had a look inside his gearbox (whilst still in the car) and bingo!........6th gear was sliding up and down the shaft about 8-10mm.

As a quick fix they tightened the 14mm hex head bolt back up and tested it. Engaged 6th gear and it drove!! However not for long (5mins) and it began to make the same noise again.

They believe the problem was that they didnt tighten the 14mm bolt back up properly as when they were tightening it, it just turns the gearbox.

So this is what they are going to do, replace 5th and 6th gear syncro rings and replace the 14mm hex head bolt aswell. When they tighten the bolt, they are going to engage a gear and hold the brakes on. Is this ok and would you know a torque setting??

I look forward to hearing your response.

Thanks

Crasher
06-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I would need the box code letters.

lee-46
09-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi Crasher,

Sorry for delay.

Gearbox code is GQN

Engine code BKC (just incase you need it?) :dunno:

Thanks

Lee

lee-46
11-08-2010, 09:48 PM
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: ALL SORTED!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

It worked!!!! They replaced the 6th gear syncro ring and the 14mm Hex head bolt that holds the gears on the shaft and did the bolt up super-tight!

This car has had NO 6th gear for over 50,000 miles!

You can check and replace the 6th gear syncro ring with gearbox still in the car. He bought 5th and 6th gear syncro rings (same part number) but only needed to replace the 6th gear one! The syncro gear rings were about £30 each and the Bolt was about £2! So £32 and a bit of labour!!! :D

Absolute Result! :drive:

Thanks again for your help and assistance CRASHER! :beerchug: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy