PDA

View Full Version : 2000 5 cyl tdi caravelle with broken timing belt

grenadekid
28-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi this is my first post on the forum here so hi to everybody
I was just wanting a bit of the members knowledge and possibly vw techs if possible.
I do a bit of part time grease monkeying for the firm i work for now mostly maintaining a fleet of transits and four 7 1/2 t lorrys. I am a time served mechanic but now i am shopfitting for this firm. Thats my background history outta the way now. One of the bosses at work landed me with his caravelle the other day with a broken belt, as yet i have,nt stripped it to see what damage was done. the only thing that might minimise the damage was it was negotiating a mini roundabout at very low speed and revs when it broke.
Does any body have experience with these 5 cyl tdi,s in this situation and what should i expect to find and what should i carefully check for when i take it down also if the head is salvageable whats the tips for rebuilding her again.
thanks for all info in advance
kev

kenney
28-01-2010, 12:39 PM
The chances of nothing being damaged,are very small,if you remove the rocker cover,and have a look at the hyd lifters,you will find out if the valves are bendt,You can usually get away with replacing the valves and lifters,to be on the safe side.

grenadekid
28-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi kenney thanks for quick reply im certain myself that theres valves bent as he turned it over and the engine jammed against the vavles after trying to turn over needless to say i told him thats enough turning over unless he wanted to enlarge the bill, but i would be happy if its only valves and lifters(handy for me). I have read where somebody says it better to replace the head bolts as they are the stretch type?, any truth in this?, also is there any instances of the holeing pistons or breaking camshafts etc. i guess this could happen at higher speeds but hopefully not to this one.
Sorry for all the questions but i just like to have my homework done, thanks kenny
kev

kenney
28-01-2010, 01:31 PM
You must replace the head bolts,i have never seen a broken camshaft,nor a damaged piston,but i have seen bent rods,so you will need to check the piston height on each cyl,when the head is removed.Send your e-mail address and i will send you all the details you need to know on how to do the job ;)

grenadekid
28-01-2010, 01:44 PM
sorry kenney cant pm you my email i have,nt made enough posts yet, i dont want to post it on here where everybody can see it. I dont think it got through to you by adding you to my contacts under your name
regards kev

kenney
28-01-2010, 01:55 PM
You have now

grenadekid
28-01-2010, 02:10 PM
sorry dont understand? it says i need 10 posts i have only 6, sorry 7 after this one

kenney
28-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I thought it was 5 anyhow how is the weather in omagh

grenadekid
28-01-2010, 07:45 PM
its damp but dry at the minute :biglaugh:

grenadekid
28-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Sorry i didnt get back to you but i had to go away earlier only back now

grenadekid
28-01-2010, 07:48 PM
whats the weather like where you are buddy

kenney
28-01-2010, 07:56 PM
3 feet of snow and very cold

grenadekid
28-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Ehhhh wheres that at then, scottish highlands or are you at a foreign location

grenadekid
29-01-2010, 09:49 PM
thanks Kenney got your info yesterday great job some useful bits like timing marks etc. thanks for everything
regards kevin