PDA

View Full Version : Question CV Joint?

Rob Mc
27-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Assuming absolutely no technical or mechanical knowledge.......

This morning, when on full lock, I noticed a slight clunky grinding noise from the F/O/S wheel area. During my journey to work this developed into a severe steering wheel wobble giving me a pretty scary moment on the M4 elevated section!!!

The RAC man could find no visible fault with the suspension or steering. He drove it 100 yards and then completed a U turn (on right hand lock) and returned to me. He stated that the wobble cleared after a loud clunk from the F/O/S and that it would be ok to continue my journey to work. He stated that I should get it looked at by my local mechanic when I could. On my journey home the mysterious wobble returned giving me yet another hairy moment on the M3 stuck in the middle of roadworks with my steering locked...able to turn full lock to the left but not beyond straight to the right. After a shortwhile of fart arsing about the RAC man created another clunk from somewhere and got the steering going.

The hunk of junk is currently sitting on my drive. I used to love this car but the new alternator, replacement fuel pipes, new brakes and now this in the space of 6 weeks is starting to grate a little bit......oh.....did I mention I crashed in the bloody snow aswell!!!!!!!

Anyway, can anyone give me a clue if this is likely to be the CV joint? Or is there another possible cause?

Thanks

Rob:zx11::1zhelp::zx11:

tullyjoe
30-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Go somewhere with open space and do full lock circles clockwise and counter clockwise. This should stress the cv joints so you can confirm which side it is. Have a look underneath to check for split rubber boot on driveshafts although recovery guy will probably have done this?
Also check steering rack by sitting stationary and moving steering from lock to lock to see if any bad noises show up.

Joe

Rob Mc
31-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Joe

thanks very much......changed the CV joint (well not me personally!!!) and has done the trick. Only now sounds like I need to replace the other side.

I'm going to change garage. I only had the boots replaced 18 months ago and the CV joint I removed is bone dry. Doesn't look like they replaced any grease.....bloody yee haa cowboys!

Rob