PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPad

sooty
27-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Right I guess you have all heard about the Apple iPad by now.
I am suppressed at the $499 starting price. I guess it will be more like £499 here but still I thought it would have been more.

What do you all think about it?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

rharris
28-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Looks like a nice bit of tech; great for travelling - as I spend a fair amount on airplanes will definitely be looking at one of these when they hit the UK in the middle of the year. Definitely more useful than one of the current e-books on the market :)

I'll add it to the MacG5, MacMini, macbook pro, macbook and macbook air and iphone and 3 ipods I already have at home :)

sooty
28-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Looks like a nice bit of tech; great for travelling - as I spend a fair amount on airplanes will definitely be looking at one of these when they hit the UK in the middle of the year. Definitely more useful than one of the current e-books on the market :)

I'll add it to the MacG5, MacMini, macbook pro, macbook and macbook air and iphone and 3 ipods I already have at home :)

The Wifi & 3G versions will be the best ones to go for... You'r a massive Mac fan I see!

rharris
28-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Not to worried about 3G; most places I would use it have wi-fi. Even some of the flights no have internet via wi-fi :)

Use Mac's at home for most things; my day job sees me developing software for PCs and I still feel they have the better tools for that job. Although x-code/coca does mean my mac programming skills apply to the iPad/iPhone :)

mark-
28-01-2010, 07:43 PM
I seems that the iPad won't support multi-tasking (same as iPhone), which seriously restricts the functionality.
Essentially it's just a very large iPod Touch.

rharris
28-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't think being multi-tasking will limit it; look at what you'll be doing on it - watching movies, reading e-mail, browsing web, reading books - not sure why it would need to be running more than one app at once. As long as it remembers your status when you switch between the app I don't see that as a problem.

Ben
28-01-2010, 09:01 PM
once again apple release something that most other laptops and netbooks already have, internet connectivity.

Also, in such a large device, why could they not use larger solid state drives?

I would of expectes 120 GB minimum together with wifi and 3G from launch.

Look at the balls up woth the iphone. and still now the new iphone 3gs doesn't do what alot of other things can.

mark-
28-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I think that the lack of multi-tasking will limit it. I bet the majority of people reading this post will have at least two different browser windows open, some kind of messenger application (such as MSN Messenger or Yahoo, which have instant notifications) and an email client (Outlook or similar, again with instant notifications), that's before considering any documents, spreadsheets or anything else.
They are clearly going for the Netbook market - so they have to compete with Windows.
The lack of multi-tasking on the iPhone is not too much of an issue, but for the iPad I see it as a major showstopper. I wouldn't even consider it without being able to run multiple applications at the same time.

sooty
30-01-2010, 07:50 AM
once again apple release something that most other laptops and netbooks already have, internet connectivity.

Look at the balls up woth the iphone. and still now the new iphone 3gs doesn't do what alot of other things can.

Ben you really do hate Apple dont ya!

The problem with a 120GB solid state hard drive is simply the cost... I guess to keep the price down they have used a smaller HDD.
I get your point at the wifi & 3G as standard, I guess these are all add on's and keeping the entry model at a low price.

It don't matter what anyone says or thinks at the end of the day it is an Apple and will sell itself, the people that really want it will get it.

PFJones
10-02-2010, 03:44 PM

If you want an iphone that does what you want rather than what apple wants you need to jail break it.

I agree though you shouldn't have to jail break it

I paid for it I should be able to do what I want with it, right?

Same for the Ipad all it is as far as I can tell is an iphone 3gs but 10x bigger.

Ben
10-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I may have to succum to upgrading my next phone to an iphone as it is far cheaper to integrate it with the car. However, this will not be done for a good 12 months and only if the iphone comes with everything my current E71 has as standard.

Jacktherat
11-02-2010, 03:09 AM
As much as I love Apple's products, I think I'll pass on the iPad until at least the 2nd or 3rd revision.

Steve Jobs deserves respect for what he's achieved since returning to Apple but his one failure of note was the Cube and so for his sake I hope the iPad doesn't turn into a lemon!

iftibashir
19-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Im happy with my iPhone. Doubt I get the iPad. No interest in it at all!

Guest 2
19-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Im happy with my iPhone. Doubt I get the iPad. No interest in it at all!

Same here, me and the wife both have iPhones and theyre quite alright. Maybe when they release a further version such as the 3GS with the iPhone I might consider buying one but I wont have a clue what to do with it!

Chris

hellopaul
04-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I really can't see the point of it - when Steve Jobs did the launch speech a few weeks ago, he was going on about how a new product would need to do more than a phone, more than a laptop and more than a netbook. The iPad just doesn't do that! And how long until that lovely glossy screen gets cracked?! But we all saw the news footage of thousands of die-hard Apple fans queuing up to be the first to buy one.

I'm currently typing this on my MacBook Pro....which I HATE! (But I hate my PC laptop more...but the MacBook Pro was exactly 5x the price!)

Issac Hunt
04-04-2010, 09:01 PM
I cant see the point of it at all, what does it do that my sub £200 netbook cant do?

I have iPhone and a MacBook Pro so am not an Apple hater but I just cant see what this offers at all!

hellopaul
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I cant see the point of it at all, what does it do that my sub £200 netbook cant do?

I have iPhone and a MacBook Pro so am not an Apple hater but I just cant see what this offers at all!

It can do multi-tasking, it's got lots of USB ports, it's cheap, the screen is unlikely to crack...oh, sorry, yeah...that's your netbook. The iPad is nothing but a bit of lovely marketing. When I see those eejots waiting all night for an iPad, it makes me wonder if Steve Jobs & co. are thinking "hmmm.....if we put an Apple logo on a turd, will people fight each other to buy it?" Probably.

ricbw2
16-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I have been thinking that it would be a great buy as a xmax pressie for my mum, a non computer user but why cant they design something that doesn't have fingerprints every where after a moments use?

Ben
16-06-2010, 05:17 PM
wear gloves.

Simples.

Jacktherat
16-06-2010, 06:59 PM
As much as I love Apple's products, I think I'll pass on the iPad until at least the 2nd or 3rd revision.

Steve Jobs deserves respect for what he's achieved since returning to Apple but his one failure of note was the Cube and so for his sake I hope the iPad doesn't turn into a lemon!

So what do I know?

I had a play with a WiFi model in a PC World store today and I was hooked!

I had gone in to size up a replacement for my Inspiron which gave up over the weekend.

No contest.