PDA

View Full Version : Temperatue Guage

Peppy
14-05-2007, 10:09 PM
My 1997 Polo 1.4L...
The temperature guage isnt getting up to temperature at all it sits cold and doesnt ever reach 90degrees...
The car runs fine and i dont think it cause any problems... any ideas what it is and if it will affect my car and if i need to fix it...how?:approve:

MART GTI
15-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Does the heater blow out hot air when you set it after the engine has "warmed up" (after 10 minutes or so)?

First and the easiest is to check the coolant level to make sure you have enough/any coolant in the engine. The guage won't work unless there's enough coolant to take a reading from.

Alternatively the thermostat might have failed (probably jammed open) which means the coolant isn't being heated up, and is being cooled by the radiator all the time so it never get hot enough - or might take an age too.

The only other likely thing is a electrical failure of the guage, but that's probably least likely.

Anyone else throw any more ideas into the pot?

shooey88
15-05-2007, 11:09 AM
the thermostat is common to stick open on the old polos and shudnt effect your car that much as it just means its being overcooled as it has a constant flow. in some hot countries they actually remove the thermostat all together.

however, the effects it will have is poorer fuel efficiency and first thing starting the car in very cold weather you wont get ideal combustion.

i doubt its the tmperature sensor in this case.

shooey88
15-05-2007, 11:11 AM
never heard of the gauge wont work if the level isnt correct.....
:confused:
cos if you havent got any coolant in your expansion bottle id be worried if the gauge didnt work...as it should indicate the car will be overheating if no coolant...:confused: thats why its a warning gauge....so think your wrong there

Peppy
15-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks
I have plenty of coolant and top it up regualarly...
The heater works perfectly and heats up really quickly, often a little too hot!
I have had a few times where i cant start it, often during the day when i need to move my car its stutters and splurts to start... it hasnt happened in a while so its ok for the mo... but thanx for your replies very much appreciated:approve:

Flash2
25-05-2007, 04:29 AM
Coolant temp sensor failure - common VW problem.
Regards - Jim.