PDA

View Full Version : The Multitronic nightmare begins? 04 1.8T A4 Cab

shook
27-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Well, looks like I'm about to get my first taste of the multichronic nightmare.

I'm what, three months into ownership, and my 04 1.8T Cab (61000 miles on the clock, FASH, gearbox oil changed on time and again @ 60000 as a precaution) has started to show something a bit odd.

Couple of days ago I was parked up, started the ignition, and the whole PRNDS display lit up, not just one selection. No flashing, and it stopped as soon as I shifted.

Then a couple of days later it did the same, but while I was driving. Wouldn't clear for a few seconds (the display stayed lit up even when I moved the lever) and then was fine again... Still no flashing.

Car is due a service today so will get the mechanic to have a look.

Is this the beginning of the end? :(

blackpool1974
27-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I will pray for you my son :(

We all dread the day this might happen, hopefully its just blip

Is it jerking ??

shook
27-01-2010, 11:08 AM
No jerking, no other symptoms at all in fact. I just dropped it off at the Audi dealer's tho and as soon as I mentioned it the tech nodded and said "it's the ECU". Both he and the receptionist acted like this was business as usual. Anyway they're going to test it and then contact my warranty company to see if it's covered. It cleary states that ECUs are covered in the documentation, so here's hoping they don't try to wriggle out of it :(

Dark Horse
27-01-2010, 11:44 AM
The problem will only get progressively worse unfortunately :(

VAG-com will give you the offending code or you might be able to get your dealer to do a diagnostics for free when you get it serviced. Most likely the ECU will need replacing, see thread here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74514) for my story about this whole faulty MT business.

shook
27-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Most likely the ECU will need replacing, see thread here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74514) for my story about this whole faulty MT business.

Sorry you had so much trouble sir. I'm going to try my AA warranty first, as it would seem it'll be a bit quicker than taking the fight to Audi, unless, as I suspect, the AA try to find a way out.

Not impressed. I hate it when companies refuse to admit faults and act all surprised. Interesting that the folks at Finchley Audi clearly knew what was wrong immediately... No doubt I wouldn't get the same response from Head Office.

If my warranty doesn't cover it I'm going the goodwill route - I have the FASH all nicely dated and logged and will do everything I can.

So much for my first 'luxury' car - two months ownership :(

My 1995 Corsa is STILL going without any major faults.

Horse-dung Durch Technic

shook
27-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Ok so the Audi diagnostic test showed that the 'Tiptronic Switch' is faulty, not the ECU.

£225 to fix.

Does that make sense?

Dark Horse
27-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Well if it is that, I would get them to put it in writing so that you don't end up paying twice if it turns out to be the ECU

By TipTronic switch do you mean the controls on the steering wheel (which I've not see on a 1.8T) or the manual override on the MT gearbox? Also worth asking for the exact code so you can get a quote from other dealers if not covered by the AA warranty.

fourringsrus
27-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Shook baby,don't you hate it when people say" I told you so" ,so I certainly won't.
I really hope your box isn't on the way out, it only seems like yesterday we were chatting about which model to go for.
One suggestion, and if your not as sneeky as some then ignore me , is if it lasts run it till the spring,sell it for a good pre-summer price and buy a manual one.
The fear of costliness on any of the auto boxes was one of the reasons that I sold my 3.0 quattro tiptronic before anything went iffy, allthough it seems to be the multi that gives the trouble before about 2005.
I do understand why you went for the multi as it seems that those who never have a problem reckon that they are a great drive.
Hope you get some good luck old pal
Stuart

shook
27-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Shook baby,don't you hate it when people say" I told you so" ,so I certainly won't.

Stuart

I thought about that earlier, it was like a few weeks ago...

But, I just picked her up and they said it isn't the ECU, it's the switch, specifically:

"Carried out diagnosis & found fault with tip tronic switch - reading defective"

They found a few other bits that need doing of course: cracked roll bar, brake discs need replacing.

But yeah I will admit I would have much better peace of mind if I'd got a manual, and perhaps I will do as you say...

Problem is, I'm attached! I love the box. For relaxed drivers like myself it's brilliant, the smoothness feels like a step forward in technology, if a huge leap back in reliability.

Fingers crossed things'll be ok.

My AA warranty might come to the rescue ;)

p.s. tell you what the A5 coupes they had at the garage looked sweeeeeeet

Crasher
27-01-2010, 08:58 PM
That symptom is normally the F125 switch which is the ECU in the box, what fault code did they give you?

shook
28-01-2010, 09:27 AM
That symptom is normally the F125 switch which is the ECU in the box, what fault code did they give you?

They didn't. I asked for it but they said to call back today to see if the tech saved the code.

Is this back to a bigger problem then maybe?

Crasher
28-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I need the fault code to tell you any more.

Dark Horse
28-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Problem is, I'm attached! I love the box. For relaxed drivers like myself it's brilliant, the smoothness feels like a step forward in technology, if a huge leap back in reliability.

Totally agree, other auto boxes seem clunky in comparison now. Also worth remembering that work carried out by an Audi dealer carries a 2 year warranty so once you get it fixed, it should be good for at least another 2 years.

shook
28-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Totally agree, other auto boxes seem clunky in comparison now. Also worth remembering that work carried out by an Audi dealer carries a 2 year warranty so once you get it fixed, it should be good for at least another 2 years.

But indies don't? I spoke with the AA about the warranty and they said it should be fine but they only contribute £35 per hour for labour so it's up to me if I let Audi do it or not as I'll be footing most of the labour bill.

I'd much rather get my local mechanic to do it, I trust him and he doesn't rip me off... I'll check with him about the work being guaranteed.

shook
28-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Crasher, I just spoke to the Audi tech.

Official Audi Code 18161

Fault code p1753

F189 implausible signal sporadic

Can you make any sense of that?

He was helpful and said it may still be the ECU but the switch needed fixing first.

Crasher
28-01-2010, 12:00 PM
That is the shift mechanism complete unit, a bit easier to do and the parts is cheaper.

shook
28-01-2010, 12:06 PM
That is the shift mechanism complete unit, a bit easier to do and the parts is cheaper.

Audi quoted £220.30 + Labour (and presumably + VAT)

(Looks like the warranty will cover it too :))

Is that about right?

fourringsrus
28-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Hi Shook, just following your thread with Crasher and it's not looking quite so grim thankfully, but on the other note about "craked roll bar" ,if so a lot of forum boys reckon the upgrade to RS4 item is certainly worth the change,and it's also been covered on the forum that quite often the roll bar is NOT cracked but the plastic bushes or whatever they are, are in fact what are cracked ,which is much cheaper than a roll bar,do a search on the subject or start a new thread before handing over any cash
Stuart

kite
28-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Not sure you can buy just the plastic bushes Stu.....

shook
28-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all this info guys, really appreciated.

What would the s4 roll bar improve?

fourringsrus
28-01-2010, 07:32 PM
RS4 roll bar would give you much nicer handling and tighter in the turns,I have no experience in this field but there will be someone on to tell you all you need to know
Stuart