PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MK2 Golf, can anyone help?

Rich2006
14-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Hello there...

I'm having a problem with my MK2 Golf, its a 1991 1600 Petrol (Manual). This problem started happening very occasionally but now it seems to be every other journy, if not every journy. After driving for a while the car loses power, it sounds and feels like the fuel isn't getting through to the carb, eventually the car completely slows down and stalls. Sometimes keeping the accellerator depressed is enough to sort it, when this works it sounds like I'm forcing past some blockage. However, more recently this doesn't work and I have to pull over and turn the engine off. After a few minutes I'm able to get her going again.

I did think at first it may be happening because I keep the car fairly low on petrol and some bits might be coming through from the bottom of the tank, so recently I'v kept her well topped up, but with no improvement.

Has anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking maybe fuel pump? I'd really appreciate any help, the cars not worth much at all but I've grown quite attached and would hate to get rid of her over such a silly problem.

Thanks

Rich

Selphie
26-06-2006, 10:48 AM
I've got a VW Golf Clipper, F Reg, last year it had exactly the same problem and it turned out to be my carb full of stuff, this may have been due to the owner before not driving it and leaving things to settle for too long! But only last week it started again, i've had a fuel pump changed, filters changed and finally the garage suggested i change the fuel tank, wasn't as expensive as i thought. Got that changed and got my car back last friday (after two weeks of cutting out and confidence at a low) and in all honesty she's a dream now, have to go back and get a filter changed again as stuff is still in the lines. All in all i've spent nearly £500 in the last week on her but i'm thinking she's worth it!