PDA

View Full Version : Bose Symphony II - Muting? Help?

CYLax
14-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I just picked up an '03 A4 3.0 with the Bose Symphony II stereo last week; haven't received my owners manual from dealership yet (long story). The stereo seems to be muting randomly when I start the vehicle and I can't figure out how to "un-mute".

From what I've read there's a telephone mute option for this stereo which I believe is the culprit here, but I don't have a telephone installed in the car...just the cell phone in my pocket. I'm trying to figure out what exactly is triggering the stereo to mute the volume and how I turn this function off? Any help is greatly appreciated.

RickT
14-05-2007, 10:19 PM
in the options you can set a MAX turn on Volume... maybe this is set to 0 or 1?? try setting it to 10 and take it from there??

Just a thought..

RickT

CYLax
15-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I've got the MAX volume on start-up set to 8 already so I'm pretty sure it's not that. What baffles me is I've messed around with every button I can find and I'm still getting the problem. I wonder if the previous owner had the phone installed and when he pulled it out they screwed up the wiring somehow.

RickT
15-05-2007, 05:44 PM
I got it!!..

When i got mine i had a car kit fitted... when i removed the docking station (IE .. unpluged it) the radio didnt work.. to resolve it i removed the hands free kit wire from the back of the radio
The kit was for a nokia 6310i..

Just a thought

RickT

CYLax
15-05-2007, 09:03 PM
ooo....good idea! I'll take a look at that when I get home from work. Thanks!

CYLax
23-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Wanted to provide an updated to this thread...

I pulled the stereo out and the muting wire was not there. I toyed around with some of the wiring and the problem persisted. Finally I gave up and went down to the dealership and had them look at...just for advice. Turns out it wasn't a muting problem at all. The head unit is defective and they'll be replacing it for me free of charge.

nickynibbles
24-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Happy days!

CYLax
29-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Since I'm now finding this story entertaining, I thought I'd pass along my experience.

The dealership tracked down and installed a brand new head unit, did a test on it, it worked fine in the mechanics bay...I walked out to the parking lot, turn the key...stereo is still on mute. It turns out the head unit may not have been defective afterall, but i got a new one and they're letting me keep it.

So I dropped it off today for a couple days to let them dig into the problem. The last update I received was they think it's the amplifier and they're beginning to test that (likely replacing it in the end). Hopefully I'll have her back tomorrow and get to enjoy music on the ride home :)

BobW1990
19-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I seem to be having the same problem with my 2003 A4.

Did you ever get a final solution?

CYLax
19-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I seem to be having the same problem with my 2003 A4.

Did you ever get a final solution?

Apparently the amp was being overloaded, causing the system to effectively shut down. I replaced the amplifier and my issue went away.

...now if I can only fix my FM reception, I'll be a happy camper :)

kodkod.84
19-08-2008, 10:51 PM
I wonder if you'll get the updated Symphony 2 with the knurled aluminium knobs. I have this is my A4 and it's much better than the previous one I had with just black buttons and the plastic all rubbed off :mad: