PDA

View Full Version : Diesel or petrol, you opinions please.

Darjm
26-01-2010, 09:07 PM
If you were to buy an Audi Avant, around the 8k mark, would you go for a Petrol, or equivalent sized diesel version. i.e. 1.9tdi or 1.8t.

I might add, you would be doing an average of around 6k miles a year, mostly short trips, with the occasional weekend long run or 2! It would be nice to be quite economical, but also a bit of fun, if taken along some twisties!

Suggestions and reasons why. If youve got the time.

cheers!

rharris
26-01-2010, 09:11 PM
If similar purchase money, the diesel (if you don't mind the noise) - I personally think with the extra torque you make better progress on the twisty stuff without having to rev the nuts of it. And of course the better mpg :)

DBSK
26-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Diesel - Take it out for a thrash and you still get 37/38 or take it for a cruise and get 50+ to the gallon, plus torque is the new bhp.

kite
26-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Diesel and quattro all the way....

Darjm
26-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. Very helpful.

I can appreciate torque, my other weapon of choice is a Honda Firestorm V-Twin. None of this 12k rpm power band nonsense. Arms out of socket stuff as soon as u twist!

Dark Horse
27-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm going to bat for the other side here, I prefer petrol, it's smooth, refined and classy. Can't stand the clatter or noise of a diesel, frankly it's embarrassing driving one in a built up area. Even the newer diesel Audi's make a racket.

Having said that, if you're only doing short trips with 6k per year mileage, diesel is prob better as it's more slippery and provides more lubricity from those cold starts. Just need to to peg it down the motorway every now and then to clear the particulate filter thing that can get clogged up if a diesel is not being driven hard enough.

SWARCUP
27-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Diesel definately - I have driven a 1.8t petrol a few times and a 1.9tdi 130 also, both very similar but they are no match for my 2.5tdi v6 quattro. i know the 2.5 is bigger and heavier and more expensive to maintain but it still gives me 35 per gallon and loads of fun. the 4 cylinder 1.9 is noisier than a petrol and so is the 2.5 but the 2.5 is so smooth and the torque plants you in your seat properly. the 1.8t is highly moddable unlike the diesels.

This is just my observations and in no way is to disrespect anyone elses motors because its all horses for courses.:Blush2:

definately get a quattro in whatever you choose

Zeb
27-01-2010, 03:14 PM
It has to be a Diesel!!! You will save alot of money when it comes to filling up, even though the prices for fuel has gone up.

mikeybutch
27-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I agree its diesel whats best and 2.5 over the 1.9 quattro if poss but older ones are rare.I had a 1.8 petrol until 6 mos ago and never driven diesel until my son purchased a i.9 quattro and showed me the advantages of better torque and economy then we found the 2.5 quattro even better and great in bad weather rain snow even ice .The noise needs to be accepted as part of the deal anyway its acceptable when diesel is becoming as common as petrol and seems to be the way forward if prices stay high

JohnyIre
27-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't think the diesel's are that noisy even. Way better than a lot of other manufactors.

DBSK
27-01-2010, 07:31 PM
The diesel isnt that noisy once its all warmed up, but i normally have the stereo at full chat so could be as quiet as a Rolls for all i know :D

And the comment with regards to the new B8 diesels, i can only disagree 100%, once they are warm you would be hard pressed to tell its a diesel!

slackboy
28-01-2010, 10:02 AM
I've got both engines (petrol in an A4 and 130 diesel in a passat). The petrol engine is much smoother and refined but, frankly, a bit gutless compared to the diesel.
Drive both and see which one you prefer.

From a cost point of view if your only doing 6k a year then the actual cost saving from better fuel economy in the diesel is only going to be £100-200 per year

Factor in that a petrol car will be cheaper for the same spec or better spec for same price compared to a diesel and a petrol makes more financial sense.

Dark Horse
28-01-2010, 11:00 AM
On top of that, diesels are supposed to be more costly to repair if anything goes wrong.

Re: new B8 diesels, my mate has an A4 saloon that's only done 9k miles from new and it already sounds like a tractor :eek:

Neighbours brand new 09 Golf exactly the same, even worse if that's possible and he's driven it even less.

MalcQV
28-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Passat not an Audi, but I do have the 2.0 petrol. I like everything about the petrol but the fuel cost. Mid 30's (Combined) in the Summer but only just make 30mpg this time of year. Just switch to real time mpg on the trip when you first start up :eek:.

What would I buy? Well my circumstances are different I suppose. A diesel car for me just does not stir any passion but I know it is the sensible choice. I know in real terms it is quicker and because of my mileage at the time I bought the Passat it was a better option.

I keep thinking about changing the Passat and can't decide whether to go down the big car route in diesel or a small car petrol. I guess you get more toys in the big car but I do believe (expect a bashing) the diesel is slightly less reliable :eek:.

So I don't know, I really don't know. You have to drive them and pick the one you like.

a4suction
30-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Diesel for me. Everyday. Mileage or not doesn't enter into it. I've maybe just had bad luck but all the petrol Audi's I've dealt with have had dramas of some kind or another. With the diesel it has meant lower maintenance costs. Again, it could just be a bad luck scenario.

Looking to run the current one until some major flaw appears or some tasty Diesel 3 Ltr Quattro beast comes into my price bracket!!!! RS4 would be nice but that's the only petrol I'd consider buying.

MalcQV
01-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Could all change.. but this year the Petrol Passat goes and at present a 2004 Diesel Mondeo looks favourable :D

davee1987
01-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Diesel and quattro all the way....

Ive never been in a quattro but i really wanted one when i purchased my audi! (mainly because i live in scotland where it snows and i go skiing every weekend at this time of year) but i settled for a 2wd A4 and put on snow tyres (£60 a tyre as opposed to paying an extra £2k+ for quattro and extra fuel a quattro uses) and I was amazed when i had to help push an a6 quattro in the snow up in aviemore last month! ever since then i have lost heart with the quattro! a set of snow tyres is clearly the best option(financially,quattro with snow tyres would be amazing im sure) in the snow and i have driven up hills past x5s and similar type 4x4s!

So what make you say 'Quattro all the way' ??:confused: what positives can the average joe expect if he/she buys a quattro over the 2wd option?

kite
01-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I hear what your saying 2WD with snow tyres versus 4WD and fat tyres.
I find Quattro in everyday driving just feels better, no wheelspin out of junctions, roundabouts taken without drama, less understeer then 2WD.
and Audi's name a sporting heritage was built on Quattro.....bring back Group "B"

mikeybutch
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Quattro must be the best option if buying on a budget .Not much more money for so much more car but fewer good ones available now that we are getting scottish weather down on the south coast

neil w
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Diesel , it may cost more to but now but a few years down the line you will get more back.
My wifes s/hand A4 tdi cost £10,000 a couple of years ago (the similar spec petrol ones were £800 cheaper) with low miles , now it is still worth £7000 plus any day of the week, the petrol model would be worth £4500 ish

MalcQV
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Diesel , it may cost more to but now but a few years down the line you will get more back.
My wifes s/hand A4 tdi cost £10,000 a couple of years ago (the similar spec petrol ones were £800 cheaper) with low miles , now it is still worth £7000 plus any day of the week, the petrol model would be worth £4500 ish
Noticed that on Passats. My petrol is worth 50p and the equiv diesel is worth about £3k. :p