PDA

View Full Version : Review of 2010 Octavia vRS - My new car. Picture and content inetnsive, sorry.

prolfe
26-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Here is a big old review with some pictures towards the bottom. Thanks for looking.

My Skoda Octavia 2.0 CR vRS Hatchback – Candy White
Previous car: Audi A3 2.0 TDi 170 PD Sportback Sport in Black

7-1000 Miles in just eight days. (It’s been a bitch of a week)

Exterior

Firstly I know all I need is either some blue lights (police) or some great big yellow go fast stripes and a ‘For Hire’ sign on the roof (Taxi). The biggest change is at the front where the facelift (FL) Octavia gets a whole new look. Gone are the naughty’s square lights and incoming are the wrap around projector style headlights. Accompanying this are some great looking DRL’s that act as sidelights as well, albeit at half brightness in this mode. A new more aggressive front bumper and grille complete the new look. From the rear and the side there’s not much to tell it apart from the pre-FL vRS. 18” alloys are standard now, as are red callipers. I’ve not been blessed with a spoiler before so the change is a nice one, the car looks great from whichever side you stand on. Especially in white.

Interior

Look closely and you’ll see the differences, a new driver pod with a very basic Rev counter to the left and a simple Tacho to the right. So simple in fact that it has no Kilometers below or above the Miles per Hour!! This for when we need to travel over the water is displayed on the central DIS. I was worried that I would miss the extra speakers in my A3 (10) compared to the vRS (8) but TBH it’s just as good. Louder but with not so much of a deep bass, don’t get me wrong it is punchy and makes the seat move but it doesn’t have the same depth as the dedicated bass of the A3. The touch screen Bolero as seen in the golf too is great. Responsive in an LG Viewty way, rather than an iPod Touch kind of way. The seats are on the firmer side of comfy but are huggy enough and have ample movement and support through a lumber knob (stop it!!). The black headlining is a welcome treat (lacking in my A3), it has a very chunky perforated leather three spoke steering wheel. It has both an independently cooled glovebox and storage area under the armrest. The armrest also has the Aux-in socket for an iPod etc. It has 8 different cubby holes in and around the cockpit which is a lot, but does mean that I’ll not have things rattling around on the passenger’s seat!
Overall the quality is just as I expected it to be.

Economy, Performance and Ride

Prior to delivery I had a look around at any remap ‘before’ figures I could find as I knew my outgoing A3 probably had a power output of between 180 and 190bhp. Although the A3 was the PD version and the new vRS is the CR version. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it too had the same kind of figures as standard. It’s just as quick but is much quieter with a different kind of exhaust and turbo note. There is soundproofing on the underside of the bonnet which must aid in this. You can read a lot of material on the pro’s and con’s of running a car in and like my Audi I decided to do just that. So for now I have been running at no more than ¾ throttle and no more than 3000 revs. Trouble is I can feel the car just wanting to plant its feet and go. I am quite liking this new relaxed ‘I could have you if I wanted to’ kind of driving style.
So far I’ve averaged 55mpg over these 1000 miles. I think my A3 averaged 46mpg on the same routes, style and distance. They changed the specification of the vRS late in the year and tricked it out with the Golf GTi’s XDS system which is a fancy electronic LSD. I’ve yet to see it in action because of the way I’ve been driving so will reserve judgment till then. Ooh, also note that the any new Golf GTD will also be built with it too.
In the pootling about I’ve been doing the ride seems great, the 18” wheels and sports suspension are not as harsh as they were on the S-Line A3 (Test driven).

Summary

I loved it when I saw it online, I then spent the 15 weeks till delivery pining after it. I am glad I chose white as it seems every other vRS is Race Blue although I’m sure that will change in a few months looking at the forums. On top of everything else it’s costing me £50 less per month than my A3!
One thing that was annoying was the dealer just washed it. No wax, no polish, just a wash. So after a week in the wet motorways it looked quite dirty close up. I decided a while ago that I would detail it properly to help protect the paint and I’m glad I did.

Detailing

I first rinsed it as best i could with a pressure washer including wheel arches. It then had two washes (2 bucket method) with a microfibre wash mitt, a rinse in between with the pressure washer again. I then spent a long while claying it with AutoGlym’s Detailing Kit (100g clay bar, fast detailing spray, cloth). After that I used AutoGlym’s Super Resin Polish to polish the car twice. Then finally I used AutoGlym’s Extra Gloss Protection which I left to cure for about an hour before being buffed off. The glass received a clean and a rain repellent from Halfords. On the wheels I used their cleaner and a sealant. On the inside I used their rubber and vinyl product along with some leather cleaner and conditioner. This was a very long process but means that the car paintwork is protected and makes future cleaning easier. I plan to go through the same process again in six months time, maybe sooner if it looks like it needs it. Detailing before and after at end of post

I’ve attached a few photies for you all to have a look at, let me know what you think.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03104.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03105.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03106.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03102.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03101.jpg

Now the detail:

first a piccie of a dirty badge area:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03090.jpg

then a nice clean one:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03111.jpg

a8 tech
26-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I like it

RickT
26-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Great write up.... and... i do like it!!

Any photos of the cabin and dash??

Cheers

Rick

prolfe
27-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Cheers A8 and Rick, I'll get some today and pop them up.

prolfe
27-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Here's a couple of the inside:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/DSC03116.jpg

Touch screen radio including: Aux In, SD Card Slot (full) and six disc changer built in:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/DSC03115.jpg

My Office:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/DSC03113.jpg

andyroo82
28-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Very nice :D

Guest 2
31-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Saw a Race Blue estate yesterday afternoon, looked great with DRL's. Wifey had the prefacelift vRS saloon as her car and when I got to drive it, I loved every minute.

Chris

prolfe
31-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Saw a Race Blue estate yesterday afternoon, looked great with DRL's. Wifey had the prefacelift vRS saloon as her car and when I got to drive it, I loved every minute.

Chris

cheers, I'm out of my running in period now and have started to play more. It feels quicker than my A3 although I'm sure it's not. Unless my Audi lost some of it's power in the 85k. The engine/exhaust note sounds really good when at full chat as well.

Glad I detailed it as well, cleaning it Saturday was sooo much easier. Dirt just falls away.

Nomino
18-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Very nice car prolfe - just what I've been looking at (currently have an 05 plate Golf GTI in Candy White), except I'm considering the DSG model, largely for the multifunction steering wheel and telephone/bluetooth option.

Just a quick question...

Does this come with heated folding mirrors as standard, or are they just plain electric?

Thanks!

:beerchug:

prolfe
18-02-2010, 06:09 PM
heated but not folding. IMO its better that they **** the mirror than go the whole length of the car with theirs.

Quick update: I am loving it, loving the looks it gets, cos of the colour and cos of the DRL's. Goes very quickly and very quietly.

:D

Nomino
18-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Cool, thanks prolfe - just the same as on my old Golf GTI then, so no loss there.

I must say, in candy white it really looks the part. It's the more aggressive front that does it - the previous model did not look good in white at all IMO, despite me usually going for white cars. A mate of mine bought an older vRS in one of the blues (forget which one) and that suited it better, and while the new one also looks good in blue, white really does set it off.

Glad you are enjoying it. I'd be interested to know if you've had a mess around with the SD card and playing MP3s from it - such a feature was really high on my list!

prolfe
18-02-2010, 08:08 PM
If your wallet can handle it, then it'll take a class 6 32gb HCSD card.

I have an 8Gb class 4 and it's speedy enough.

One of the chaps on briskoda has found a way of making them super fast, by using playlists and a dummy mp3 in the root.

I have all mine in the root and just shuffle and its fine. It seems to just shuffle a couple of songs in each letter of the alphabet going alphabetically:

so it will play a couple of blink 182 tracks and then move on to coldplay, then Doves for example. we're hoping a firmware update will sort this out.

The stereo is very slick and very powerful, I thought i'd miss the dedicated bass on the A3 but its just as good tbh.

cos of the SD slot I've not touched the built in six cd changer or the Aux in.

sooty
19-02-2010, 01:34 AM
I love it!
Does better MPG than my stock A4 140 TDi...

Honestly for the price as well... Can't beat it

Nomino
19-02-2010, 09:50 AM
If your wallet can handle it, then it'll take a class 6 32gb HCSD card.

I have an 8Gb class 4 and it's speedy enough.

One of the chaps on briskoda has found a way of making them super fast, by using playlists and a dummy mp3 in the root.

I have all mine in the root and just shuffle and its fine. It seems to just shuffle a couple of songs in each letter of the alphabet going alphabetically:

so it will play a couple of blink 182 tracks and then move on to coldplay, then Doves for example. we're hoping a firmware update will sort this out.

The stereo is very slick and very powerful, I thought i'd miss the dedicated bass on the A3 but its just as good tbh.

cos of the SD slot I've not touched the built in six cd changer or the Aux in.
Perfect, thanks prolfe. I must admit, I'm more of a radio man when it comes to audio in the car, but only because of the hassles of changing music in my current one. Using a dummy MP3 with playlists sounds like decent approach, but in terms of navigation performance, how slow are we talking if we had a card full of MP3s in folders like artist > album > track?

prolfe
19-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Perfect, thanks prolfe. I must admit, I'm more of a radio man when it comes to audio in the car, but only because of the hassles of changing music in my current one. Using a dummy MP3 with playlists sounds like decent approach, but in terms of navigation performance, how slow are we talking if we had a card full of MP3s in folders like artist > album > track?

5 or six seconds maybe.

If you don't do shuffle and normally listen to whole albums then there's no worry.

And the dummy mp3 and playlist thing has already been done, it's just a case of copying their coding.

Nomino
19-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks again prolfe.

I noticed a lack of temperate displays on the dash - I take it that it's just dual zone air conditioning and not dual zone climate control? Is climate control an option? I couldn't find it browsing through the brochure.

prolfe
19-02-2010, 11:14 PM
It is dual climate.

Temp is on the dials one for each person.

Kendall
01-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Seems like you have the best choice in cars. Dual climate, sound system of your choice. Good. Keep it up. Even I'm also looking for something similar to yours.

prolfe
03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
For the £16.5k I paid, it does seem to be a right old bargain and a lot of car for the money

sooty
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
For the £16.5k I paid, it does seem to be a right old bargain and a lot of car for the money

Mate you cant go wrong for that price... It is a brand new car afterall... You will struggle to get a new Mondeo for that price.

There is a limited edition version out now however I still dont think it looks as good as yours.

How did you find the badge change from an Audi to a Sokda?
We all know they are the same car.

P.S.
You need to update your signature!

MalcQV
05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
I would have no issues whatsoever with the badge :beerchug:. Looks like a fantastic car indeed, never mind the cost.

sooty
06-03-2010, 03:50 AM
I would have no issues whatsoever with the badge :beerchug:. Looks like a fantastic car indeed, never mind the cost.

It does look good... I am tempted myself you know

prolfe
06-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Mate you cant go wrong for that price... It is a brand new car afterall... You will struggle to get a new Mondeo for that price.

There is a limited edition version out now however I still dont think it looks as good as yours.

How did you find the badge change from an Audi to a Sokda?
We all know they are the same car.

P.S.
You need to update your signature!

Alllll updated...

:)

The ltd edition was the last of the pre facelift (FL) bodywork cars. They did get the updated interiors though.

As for the badge, nah, I'm a car fan and as a car fan i know that I'm sitting in a high quality car.

It makes me smile to know that I'm driving it, just tonight I got out of it to nip to Sainsburys and was smiling to myself as i reaslied I love it.

The quality is the same as it was in the Audi. The dash design is not as good, but the equipment makes up for that.

sooty
07-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Alllll updated...

The ltd edition was the last of the pre facelift (FL) bodywork cars. They did get the updated interiors though.

Ohh I just noticed they are the older shapes... Na I'd go for your shape!

muzza75
08-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Great looking motor, currently waiting to take delivery myself of a vRS hatchback which I ordered back in March in race metallic blue, kinda wish I'd consider the candy white now! Saw one in candy white yesterday on M27 near Southampton and it did look smart, still, hopefully have mine in the next month and no doubt will be very happy with it.

JSH
08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Great looking car!

Value for money or what!... You need your head looking at if you concider anything else!

Love the colour JSH:beerchug:

prolfe
08-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Great looking car!

Value for money or what!... You need your head looking at if you concider anything else!

Love the colour JSH:beerchug:

Cheers!

well after 10,000 miles now it's still bee ee ay ewetiful

Here's an updated pic of the fron now that it's been 'seen to'

Let me know what you think:

Before:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03098.jpg

After:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03232.jpg

And some Bilt Hamber Snow foam in action:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/prolfe/FL%20vRS/DSC03231.jpg

Ben
08-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Have you had the chrome grill surround de chromed and painted white to match? if not, i can't tell any difference :confused:

JSH
08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Those alloys are superb! If those are standard they are the best looking Ive seen.

White looks crisp & smart

Im calling in a Skoda dealership tomorrow.

Thanks for the pictures JSH

prolfe
09-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Have you had the chrome grill surround de chromed and painted white to match? if not, i can't tell any difference :confused:

Yeah, that's the only difference in the pic. Looks better I think.

How's ickle Ben?

Paul

muzza75
11-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Those alloys are superb! If those are standard they are the best looking Ive seen.

White looks crisp & smart

Im calling in a Skoda dealership tomorrow.

Thanks for the pictures JSH

Go for it, only problem is the blooming lead-time, ordered mine 12 weeks ago and still have another 3 or 4 to wait, doing my head in!! Apparently some of the changes to the vRS this year has set production back a bit.

Still, at a little over £18k I'm getting getting a lot of car for the money (DSG, parking sensors, Ipod connectivity etc), you can keep your GTI's and A4's etc, vRS is much more practical and £k's cheaper and still fairly exclusive, for how long though I don't know. I guess the more that hit the road the more they're seen which then generates further sales.

Still, when I get mine I'll give fellow vRS drivers a knowing nod and wink knowing what great cars we've got!!

JSH
11-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Go for it, only problem is the blooming lead-time, ordered mine 12 weeks ago and still have another 3 or 4 to wait, doing my head in!! Apparently some of the changes to the vRS this year has set production back a bit.

Still, at a little over £18k I'm getting getting a lot of car for the money (DSG, parking sensors, Ipod connectivity etc), you can keep your GTI's and A4's etc, vRS is much more practical and £k's cheaper and still fairly exclusive, for how long though I don't know. I guess the more that hit the road the more they're seen which then generates further sales.

Still, when I get mine I'll give fellow vRS drivers a knowing nod and wink knowing what great cars we've got!!

It suprises me that car makers dont keep a more vehicles in stock, in popular colours etc, & also make popular options Parking sensors, Ipod connection an easy dealer fit.
The last two cars I've had have been urgentley needed ( Due to accident & circumstances ) so its a case of have whats available. The only reason Im no longer an Audi /VW driver ( VW could not provide a Passat estate Highline for twelve weeks!) As a result Im now in a BMW who could provide a vehicle within a week, I have to say my brand loyalty has moved also.
Anyway the point is, I wonder how may sales are lost by this bespoke order/ build lead time, By people who need a vehicle more urgently.
I did have a look at the Skoda dealership and very impressive too, Just she who must be obeyed is threatening to leave me if I come home in one of those!....... I feel as Skoda may have more advantages than first appeared! JSH :beerchug:

muzza75
11-06-2010, 03:35 PM
It suprises me that car makers dont keep a more vehicles in stock, in popular colours etc, & also make popular options Parking sensors, Ipod connection an easy dealer fit.
The last two cars I've had have been urgentley needed ( Due to accident & circumstances ) so its a case of have whats available. The only reason Im no longer an Audi /VW driver ( VW could not provide a Passat estate Highline for twelve weeks!) As a result Im now in a BMW who could provide a vehicle within a week, I have to say my brand loyalty has moved also.
Anyway the point is, I wonder how may sales are lost by this bespoke order/ build lead time, By people who need a vehicle more urgently.
I did have a look at the Skoda dealership and very impressive too, Just she who must be obeyed is threatening to leave me if I come home in one of those!....... I feel as Skoda may have more advantages than first appeared! JSH :beerchug:

Apparently the other problem is the scrappage scheme wiped out a lot of stock and whilst dealers are placing orders on the factory for stock, customer orders are priortised (rightly so!!) so they are struggling to build up sufficient stocks. What I'm annoyed about is the sales guy never mentioned the lead-time would be 4 months, in fact he put end of May on my order assuming it would be 8-10 weeks as I placed my order 22 March, it's likely to be around 16 weeks by the time I get it which includes a 2-3 transit from Czech. Oddly enough, my missus isn't that impressed with my choice of new car either, don't think she can get over the badge but I'm sure she'll come round when I get it, she wants a white TT convertible but she can dream on, maybe when the kids grow up and leave home which is a long way off yet!!

paul b
14-06-2010, 12:55 PM
There's still a lot of badge snobbery concerning Skoda, it's disappointing really as they are great cars.

This will probably rumble a few feathers seen as I'm on a primarily VW forum, but I had preferred my 2000 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI 110 to an equivalent Golf/Bora.

muzza75
14-06-2010, 01:19 PM
There's still a lot of badge snobbery concerning Skoda, it's disappointing really as they are great cars.

This will probably rumble a few feathers seen as I'm on a primarily VW forum, but I had preferred my 2000 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI 110 to an equivalent Golf/Bora.

Don't have a problem with VW's but the missus and I don't have much luck with them, she wrote off her employers golf years ago when she was a nanny and my 1st company car was a Passat which I crashed so we try and avoid VW's.

I wouldn't so no to an IR32 though and if it was to be an Audi an RS6 or R8 would do me although the R8 probably isn't that practical with 2 young kids, have to stick to tearing up the tracks with an R8 on forza 3 I suppose.

Arnie_1
27-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Here is a big old review with some pictures towards the bottom. Thanks for looking.

Digging this old thread up as I am looking into purchasing a 2010 Octavia VRS. If you still have it or if you had it for a few years, how did it hold up? Did you have any massive reliability issues, or respectively, the typical VW electrical niggles?

Cheers!