PDA

View Full Version : 1998 1.9tdi auto gearbox 'slipping'

Avantgerbrochen
26-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for help with my 1998 1.9 tdi auto box (160K) which appears to be 'slipping'.
On cold startup and placing it into drive the gear (forward or reverse) engages with a clunk and then requires a bit of revving above what I would consider to be normal to obtain any forward motion. It does tend to improve when warm but again not as I would expect. Once warmed up when driving at constant revs especially around the 3k it starts to slip and I get constant surges up about 200/300 revs then dropping back down as the gear slides back in. There is a shuddering during this surge. The best way I can describe it is feels like feathering the clutch in and out on a manual as you drive along. My local mechanic has a code reader and can't find any codes for the gearbox (although he doesn't have anything sophisticated) and says that the box is supposed to be sealed for life. When this has happened to me before on other less electronically enhanced cars I've just topped up the fluid and that seems to do the trick.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who has had similar problems and grateful for a recommendation for a garage that can provide a decent diagnosis within a reasonable distance of the Humber Bridge area (rather it wasn't a main dealer!!)
I would also like to hear from anybody who has successfully changed the fluid and filter on one of these boxes as I'd like to do that first ...if I can?? I have a haynes manual but it doesn't go into too much depth regarding the auto box.

Many thanks

mike ryan
26-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Sounds to me like the level is low. There is a way of checking it but you have to have vag.com pugged in and have it on a ramp or axle stands. They are supposed to be sealed for life but its best to change the fluid and filter as it will make the world of difference and prolongs the life of the box. If you do a search on it with google or on VWAudi forum there are loads of how to's on it. I did mine and the difference was amazing. In the mean time i would refrain from driving it as if it is low on oil it will do damage to the box.

Avantgerbrochen
26-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks,

I hope that is all it is. When you did yours did you have trouble getting the top filler cap off.....mines a bu**er.

Cheers

mike ryan
26-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks,

I hope that is all it is. When you did yours did you have trouble getting the top filler cap off.....mines a bu**er.

Cheers

I am not sure which one you mean. On mine thre are 2 which are on the bottom of the sump for the box. One is a small drain one, dont undo unless you want to get wet, and a large one with about a 17 mm allen key socket which is the level one but dont undo that either until car is running. There is a procedure to follow which involves getting the car idling and the oil at temp. When all that is right the oil level should be just over the lip of the filler. Mine is a Quattro so the box may differ slightly but all the research i did said much the same for all boxes.

Avantgerbrochen
26-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks again,

I see what you mean I've found some good pictures and a 'thicko's guide on the interenet but that is for an A6 and doesn't say what engine etc but hopefully with the Haynes manual and what else I can find on the net I'll manage. Just hope it warms up a bit cos' unfotunately although I do have a very nice garage my wife has filled it up with cr*p so I'll have lie around in the cold.

Cheers