PDA

View Full Version : Regular Diesel OR Premium Diesel?

genix
26-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Any opinions on the benefits of using Premium Diesel with the VAG PD engines (i.e. engine performance: lifetime, fuel consumption etc)?

This is my first diesel (2.0 TDI PD) and I am using regular fuel is it worthwhile paying the difference for Premium?

nc7503
27-01-2010, 09:19 PM
hi genix

i was using bp ultimate diesel for the last six months car ran alot better.:D before it used to be a bit lumpy on idle and not as smooth. mpg improved but only by 5mpg i rate it.only stopped using it as the garage by me put it up to £1.20 a litre!:zx11:

Issac Hunt
27-01-2010, 09:42 PM
A 5mpg difference? Hmm I'm not convince by that to be honest, I think the placebo affect is at work here. I've use the cheapest diesel in my last 6 VAG TDI's to absolutely no ill affect at all for over 250k+ miles.

Maybe in a highly tuned application you might benefit but otherwise just save your money. If it needed the expensive stuff then VW would specify you use it but they dont.

mdbs
29-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a Nissan Micra 1.5 DCi, it hates Tesco and other supermarket fuels to a lesser degree, on Shell BP etc its fine.

My Golf doesnt "seem" to mind but my Micra experience convinced me not all fuels are equal..

Good friend only uses Tesco in his Renault van, at 75k miles he needed new injectors.

My golf does run better on V Power, but not sure there is any MPG benefit.

daclyn
07-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I thought Diesel was all the same!, how do you find out what is sold?:confused:

I run a Golf Plus 1.9tdi, and always buy from Sainsburys.

johnloaderuk
09-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I had a Passat Sport TDI 140 PD from new and covered 146k miles in it. For the last 25k or so I ran it exclusively on Shell V Power Diesel, and also got roughly 5mpg increase, but no noticable performance increase. As it didn't have a DPF it also smoked less when under full power.
I put this mainly down to the injectors being a bit dirty after so many miles, and additional cleaning additives in the V Power Diesel restored it back to almost how it was when new. V Power Diesel is the only UK fuel with gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology. Even VW recognise this, as you'll see if you follow the link and select the 'GTL technology'. If you read the article it claims to restore lost power, which is what I believe it does, through cleaning the fuel system. Given that I covered 125k on cheapy fuel it could well have lost a bit of performance through dirty injectors etc.

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_diesel_tpkg/

I also think that the type of driving you do also has an influence, mine was mainly motorway cruising.

mdbs
10-04-2010, 07:46 AM
I have recently read an article, originally by Autoexpress, that showed most of the popular fuel retailers, their respective costs per liter, and this was the interesting bit, the actual cost per mile of each make.

Asda, who I admire for selling all their fuel at the same price all over the country but tend to avoid because of them being a supermarket, was the cheapest per liter, with Shell being nearer the most expensive.

However, the cost per mile put Shell in front of everyone because of the quality of their fuel.

In Leighton Buzzard near where I live the Shell garage is within 200yds of a Tesco station.

Often they are the same price but sometimes Shell is cheaper.

Tesco says "Why Pay More?" They should add "For less From Tesco".... in fact why even pay the same?

In Aylesbury Tesco have 2 petrol stations, one is often more expensive than the other. Not fair.

theskyfox
19-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I've got a 1.9TDi 2004 A4, and always run it on BP Ultimate Diesel. Can't say I notice a huge difference in MPG, but the engine definately runs smoother. I personally find it is worth the extra small premium just for the smoother running. Have had to fuel up a few times with normal diesel when the Ult has run out, and you definatley notice a harsher startup clatter and rougher idle.

They ran an article a while back in Audi magazine on a specially set up V8 with normal petrol on one bank of cylinders and ultimate onthe other to show the effects on the engine..they claimed that the ultimate side was kept far cleaner of debris/soot etc.

-Andrew