PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Audi A5 Sportback (2010) Faulty Clutch

brendajean
25-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi. We took delivery of a brand spanking new Audi A5 Sportback 2.0T on 11 January 2010. We are gutted. The clutch has burnt out after doing 200 miles in 10 days! The only conclusion we can reach is that the car was already faulty from day 1. I would like to know if anyone else has had any clutch problems with this brand new model?? And, if anyone has ever successfully got their full refund back under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 from an Audi Dealer?

Issac Hunt
25-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Sure it wasnt your driving style?

Audi will repair it for free under warranty, why are you looking for a refund? Get it fixed and forget about it and then enjoy the car. its very rare - you were just unlucky.

Scootmien
27-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I've not heard of this being a design fault on the vehicles and I know a fair number of people who own A/S5's, including the new Sportback.

It's either an unlucky vehicle or your driving style but I doubt you will be able to get your money back under the SGA unless you can prove that there is a chronic and systematic problem with the vehicle.

The SGA states that an item must be "fit for purpose" and although you may be experiencing one issue with it, ultimately the tenet of the SGA holds true in that the vehicle is fit for the purpose it was designed for, being a vehicle capable of getting you from A to B. The warranty ensures that if there are issues, which in your case there are, they can be sorted out with the minimum of fuss.

You could argue that the vehicle is not fit for purpose as the clutch has burnt out, but then you would also have to consider the same thing if you got a puncture for example. Each equally stops you from being able to use the vehicle. One has the bonus of being able to be rectified by you though. Yes, I realise this is an extreme example as a puncture is evidence of usual wear and tear, but not if it happens in the drive home from the showroom it isn't.

If you could say that you had five or six issues with the car over a short period of time then you might be able to get the vehicle taken back. One issue though, not a chance. They will replace the clutch and send you on your way. If it happens again, or you get other problems then you will start to build a case that the car may be a lemon.

As you can see, it's all about perspective. If the cars were perfect, there would be no need for a warranty at all as no car would ever go wrong of its own volition. Unfortunately, with the best will in the world, I think we can all agree that this isn't the case and faults do occur.

brendajean
30-01-2010, 06:31 PM
:D Thanks for responding. Audi Wolverhampton were fantastic. Saw the Managing Director, Stephen King, and we have ordered a brand new car. We just wouldn't have felt comfortable having the other one back Consumer Direct were fantastic and really helped us, although we didn't actually need it cause Audi Wolverhampton were fantastic. We have ordered an automatic this time - really do feel the clutch was faulty and more may come to light in the progress of time. There is no way on this gods earth you can burn a clutch out in 200 miles (averaging 20 miles a day) when you have the driving experience we have. In 40 plus years of driving we have never, ever had to take a car to the garage for a replacement clutch! Its a shame really, cause not many people really understand the SGA.... the worst thing you can do is accept a repair... you reject the car immediatly you have a problem. Any way we are well chuffed and look forward to having our brand new automatic A5 in around 10 weeks time. :beerchug:

tlionhart
31-01-2010, 04:30 PM
too right! Your paying for this car and will have to live with it for 'ex amount of years'. You buy a new car for piece of mind and good driving. It always runs is succession, when one part goes, the whole car ends up going because you would be dissatisfied with it. Therefore looking for faults every time your out on the road.

Just out of curiosity, does this mean your put on the same list as everyone else or a priority? For example when you first ordered the car you had to wait 3months for it, but as you have had a fault they will shunt you to the front of that Q, so you should have a new one in a month?

brendajean
01-02-2010, 04:01 PM
No we have been told that we will still have to wait! The Managing Director did say that they will try and get it delivered quicker than usual but only by a few weeks..... biggest issue is they are not giving us a car in the mean time to tide us over. We do have a second car, but it was a bit of a let down not having them provide us with a replacement whilst we are waiting for the new car. We were just so pleased to get rid of the faulty one, we didn't push it hard... but now, with hind sight, I wish we had been a little more forceful to get a replacement car. :aargh4:

tlionhart
01-02-2010, 08:19 PM
if audi admitted fault then you can have the loan car. However, if they said they could repair the fault, but you pushed for a new car. Therefore the dealer ordered a new one as a 'good will-gesture' then guess your right just to walk away with the smile on your face :)