PDA

View Full Version : TRUTH on Induction Kits...

martyb27
25-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I have done quite a bit to my car, I haven't touched the air intake or air filter system other than a pipercross pannel filter.

I have a 1.8T 20v turbo 2WD S-Line A4 that is running approx 230bhp...

Iv been advised not to install an induction kit but with things such as the following are available its tempting, im calling on all audi and vw fans to help me with this and find out the truth.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Custom/Air-Intakes/02_05-Audi-A4-1.8T-High-Performance-Air-Intake/548743/

I know +17bhp is a bit optamistic but even so and induction kit is normally the first mod on a car, a friend had an ibiza turbo same spec with induction kit and ran well? PLEASE HELP.

ini
26-01-2010, 02:53 PM
The only real effect the kit will have is to give more induction noise.

As long as the filter is fine enough to remove compressor wearing particulates and does not have any residue/oil, and the diameter/flow of the MAF pipe is identical to the original, the kit should not cause serious problems, although it does seem to be drawing potentially hot air from inside the engine bay.

Sam
26-01-2010, 03:01 PM
The only real effect the kit will have is to give more induction noise.

[...]

although it does seem to be drawing potentially hot air from inside the engine bay.

If you absolutely have to go aftermarket, look for one that at least has a decent heatshield.

You can draw more cold air by running pipes from the lower front grille area and routing them into the bottom of the stock airbox. It'll cost you under £10 if you DIY with parts from any hardware store (B&Q, Homebase etc).

martyb27
26-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Thank you for both your replies, appreciate it. Im still unsure about it though, I have to admit the noise would be quite good but not such an appeal that id undo the design and current set up.

I think ill go down the air feed route much cheaper to install and less of a risk with regard to hot air ingress.

The chap that did my remapping / exhaust etc. told me to stay well clear of any induction kit and if noise and 2bhp is the only gain I shall leave it - thanks again.

SammoVWT
16-02-2010, 12:29 PM
It works well with an airbox/heatshield and CAI running into the box. If you suck in engine bay air, you will potentially suck in hot air and rob you of some HP.

People who claim 2HP gains arent using them properly. I got a huge upgrade by fitting an airbox and mines a piddly 1.6 :> 2xCAI will be sufficient for a good volume of cool air

And being honest, i dont really notice the noise while im driving - only when ive got the bonnet up, but thats probably because of my exhaust or perhaps ive just gotten used to it.

brettd
27-04-2010, 03:18 AM

If you absolutely have to go aftermarket, look for one that at least has a decent heatshield.

You can draw more cold air by running pipes from the lower front grille area and routing them into the bottom of the stock airbox. It'll cost you under £10 if you DIY with parts from any hardware store (B&Q, Homebase etc).

Hi guys,

Is this as simple as it sounds?

Is there any ill effect by simply running the hoses into the box?

I'vebeen thinking about it for awhile, as I'm in the north of Australia, any extra cool air would be nice.

No need for any other sensors etc..

Cheers :beerchug:

SammoVWT
27-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi guys,

Is there any ill effect by simply running the hoses into the box?

I'vebeen thinking about it for awhile, as I'm in the north of Australia, any extra cool air would be nice.

No need for any other sensors etc..

Cheers :beerchug:
Hello there, well theres definately no ill effect, as long as the air is filtered before going into the engine the only result is a power increase due to a greater oxygen density.

Also no additional sensors required

Sam
27-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi guys,

Yup (ish)

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273083

Lots more info/links here if you have the time to read a crap load of posts!

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194404