PDA

View Full Version : Question Swirl Marks on Black A4 Avant

jimjam
25-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi All, I'm after some help with swirl marks on my metalic black A4.
Can anyone recomend a good product & method to remove them. I don't have any fancy polishing machine so I'd be doing it by hand.
At the mo I wash the car using meguires shampoo and mitt, then dry off using a synthetic cloth. it looks ok but I want to remove these marks if poss to make it look pucker.
Any help is appreciated.

Crasher
25-01-2010, 02:25 PM
If you can find somewhere to buy it, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, their part number 05990. It is about £12+VAT a litre and is simply brilliant on black.

prolfe
25-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Either take it to a good detailer or try yourself. it would cost about £225 for your car to be detailed properly, this would mean many treatments and would be worth it.

PM me and I'll give some details.

jimjam
25-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Hey mate sent you a PM :D

elitedetailer
04-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi

If you are working by hand, Autiglym Super Resin Polish is pretty good.

Regards
EliteDetailer Team :beerchug:

kennym999
06-03-2010, 07:54 PM
A product called black hole seems to get rave reviews as a filler (especially on black cars). Products like this and auto glym SRP will hide a certain level of swirls/scratches but they will return over time. Either a good detailer will machine polish them out or do what I have done and buy a DA. My kit cost me £100 all in. Of course I will practice on a few cars before I do my own. I have done a few corrections on my wifes seat and it turned out fantastic. A DA will also be a lot safer than a rotary polisher, especially on a black car which will show up marks like nobodys business.

jimjam
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I've looked into the DA kenny, there are a few vids on a youtube showing how to use them on black cars, which although I'm not saying its easy it sure does help to build confidence.
Have you used yours yet?

kennym999
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
The colour of the car doesnt matter too much. I have done a few now without any issues. The result varies dependant on the quality of the pads used. Decent pads will obviously give a better finish (if used with the right polish). They are not machines to be feared however.

jimjam
10-08-2010, 12:51 PM
A product called black hole seems to get rave reviews as a filler (especially on black cars). Products like this and auto glym SRP will hide a certain level of swirls/scratches but they will return over time. Either a good detailer will machine polish them out or do what I have done and buy a DA. My kit cost me £100 all in. Of course I will practice on a few cars before I do my own. I have done a few corrections on my wifes seat and it turned out fantastic. A DA will also be a lot safer than a rotary polisher, especially on a black car which will show up marks like nobodys business.

Quick question is the black hole applied by hand or DA? I'm unsure.
Also should anything else be used after the black hole?
I've seen some results after its been used on a ford Gal and the results are pretty impressive - > http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=143107

Thanks

prolfe
11-08-2010, 10:01 PM
You would normally stick a few coats of wax on after Black Hole.

You could also stick a sealant on after BH and then some coats of wax.

As an example your process would be:

BlackHole
AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection (possibly x2)
Collonite 476s x3
Zaino Z8 or Z6 maybe

jimjam
12-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks
I've read a bit more into it and found that the audis have hard paint so I've got no chance of removing swirls by hand, so I'm going to give the black hole a go.

I was thinking :
Wash
Clay
Poorboys BH
Poorboys Blue paste.

Let you know what results I get

prolfe
12-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks
I've read a bit more into it and found that the audis have hard paint so I've got no chance of removing swirls by hand, so I'm going to give the black hole a go.

I was thinking :
Wash
Clay
Poorboys BH
Poorboys Blue paste.

Let you know what results I get

Give it another wash after the clay.

efcbluepete
31-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Give it another wash after the clay.

Blimey - how long would it take to do all of the above treatments?

just got an 08 plate A6 in black and really pleased with it and was wanting to best protect it, but don't have anything like a whole day to go through a big process like that above.

would a simple series of wash and polish with Autoglym SRP be enough to help get a good level of protection?

Cheers,

Pete

Crasher
31-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I spent hours on my black Octavia using Meguiers over the last two days only to be greeted with swirl marks, slapped on some Colour Magic Black and it looks fine, why do I bother buying expensive waxes?

jimjam
01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I spent hours on my black Octavia using Meguiers over the last two days only to be greeted with swirl marks, slapped on some Colour Magic Black and it looks fine, why do I bother buying expensive waxes?

Two days - Gutted !! At least you mananged to sort it out. Still building up to do mine.
Sounds like the colour magic does a similar job to the poorboys blackhole then?
Did you clay first??

Crasher
01-09-2010, 01:05 PM
No I didn't clay.

prolfe
28-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Blimey - how long would it take to do all of the above treatments?

just got an 08 plate A6 in black and really pleased with it and was wanting to best protect it, but don't have anything like a whole day to go through a big process like that above.

would a simple series of wash and polish with Autoglym SRP be enough to help get a good level of protection?

Cheers,

Pete

a wash and SRP will be enough to make it shine. The good thing about SRP is that it helps hide/fill the swirls.

for protection though, you'd be better off with a selant or wax.

Sealant goes on quicker, both would be perfect though.

JimWD
07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Be sure to post pictures jimjam.

Blackhole is a great product.

If you wanted to try shift some of the swirls by hand, you could pick up a Lake Country Polishing pad and go at it with Menz 203s. (prepare to have fatigued shoulders though! :p)

jimjam
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Got the blackhole and clay kit now so just need a half decent day to give it a good going over.
Will post some before and after pics to so you can see the results.

Any idea what to use on the rubber trim round the windows? I don't have the chrome finshers.

prolfe
02-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Got the blackhole and clay kit now so just need a half decent day to give it a good going over.
Will post some before and after pics to so you can see the results.

Any idea what to use on the rubber trim round the windows? I don't have the chrome finshers.

AG's Vynal & Rubber stuff is great. buff for a matt finish or leave for glossy. Can be used inside and outside the car.

jimjam
03-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Managed to grab a couple of hours on Sunday to give the car a good going over.
Didn;t have enough time to clay, so just washed using meguires nxt shampoo, followed by the PB blackhole, and PB nattys blue paste.

The black hole is fantastic, highly recommend it to anyone with a dark car. I couldn't believe the difference it made. The car looks great now.
Blue paste was also good, but it was hard to apply as it was solid in the pot, rather than a soft 'butter' like wax. Is this normal or was mine dogey?
Would appreciate any feedback.
Will post some pics soon.

efcbluepete
08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
a wash and SRP will be enough to make it shine. The good thing about SRP is that it helps hide/fill the swirls.

for protection though, you'd be better off with a selant or wax.

Sealant goes on quicker, both would be perfect though.

Cheers for that - managed to get some of the marks out wit the colour magic, guess next wash will be SRP and a sealant after that.

Pete

prolfe
11-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Cheers for that - managed to get some of the marks out wit the colour magic, guess next wash will be SRP and a sealant after that.

Pete

Hey, no problem, if you have any questions then just ask. I'm happy to help.

SRP will fill as well. The EGP from them is also really good - so so easy to put on and buff off.

Have a look at ebay listings for AG Lifeshine - even at £38 you get a hell of a lot for the money.