PDA

View Full Version : Radio Signal lost when heated window On.

A4TCB
25-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi All, this is my first post on this forum as i just picked up am 04' Avant 1.8T Sline at the weekend and have a few niggly gremlins, most noticeably this morning.

I had the radio on and the heated rear windscreen and got no reception, whilst i am pretty sure the Aerial on this thing is incorporated into the Heated rear screen, does anyone know how to resolve my problem?

Any help very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Toby

cheekeemonkey
29-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi All, this is my first post on this forum as i just picked up am 04' Avant 1.8T Sline at the weekend and have a few niggly gremlins, most noticeably this morning.

I had the radio on and the heated rear windscreen and got no reception, whilst i am pretty sure the Aerial on this thing is incorporated into the Heated rear screen, does anyone know how to resolve my problem?

Any help very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Toby

Toby

Not much help but mine has started doing the same (2003 Avant)
My thought is that it could be the aerial that has come loose and 'allowing' the interference?

A4TCB
29-01-2010, 11:10 PM
That's a good shout, I think I will try and remove the radio tomorrow and go through the basics such as earth connection, whether the aerial is plugged in correctly etc.

Toby

kite
29-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Saloon, Cab or Avant ?
The wire at the ariel amp can come loose.
Remove the trim above the window and check connections

A4TCB
29-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Cheers, it's an 04 Avant, I have literally only had it since Saturday and hence not familiar with where bits are yet.

Where do I find the aerial amp?, I know in the OSR boot side compartment there appears to be a load of electrical gubbins...

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Toby

kite
29-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I should have read the first post.....
I'm not sure on the Avant, but on my saloon there is a trim piece above the rear window and the amp is in there.
A code read might help.....I have VCDS and in Bracknell.

A4TCB
30-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Great knowledge and help kite, I will have a look tomorrow as i think the rear side windows appear to have heated elements in along with the rear screen itself, just a case of working out which one integrates with the aerial!

Once I have sorted this annoyance, my next gremlin will be the temp gauge which seems to be either normal, off, too hot or running too cold, yet actually it runs perfectly!

Good to know you have a diag tool, may tap you up one evening for 10 mins of your time to see if it brings anything up, really appreciated also easy as I'm only tuther side of the M3 jcn 3 in Woking.

Cheers
Toby

kite
30-01-2010, 09:20 AM
The elements in the side windows are the break glass sensors for the alarm.
Antenna wil be using the rear screen

Issac Hunt
30-01-2010, 10:04 AM
The elements in the side windows are the break glass sensors for the alarm.
Antenna wil be using the rear screen

I think in the Avant the rear side windows contain the aerials, not the rear window. Its worth getting it scanned for fault codes before you pull anything apart.

kite
30-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I stand corrected, thanks IH

A4TCB
16-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi Kite, i have been very busy the past few weeks so hadnt had a chance to investigate the aerial situation until the other day.

In one side of the boot i have what looks like a subwoofer but nothing obvious like the arial, but then to be honest it was raining and i do have a knackered clutch that more urgently needs sorting so will need to do some thorough taking apart another day.

I Understand that you very kindly reset the airbag light for my good mate Kevin last week after we fitted his parrot car kit?, Very kind of you.

Cheers,
Toby

debjohn
27-02-2010, 09:18 PM
hi just replace the black plastic piece that is inside the rear panel in roof lining at rear ,2 connections to unscrew and it unclips and replace it, costs a little over 20 quid, mine was cracked, fine now,

southamptonadi
02-03-2010, 08:17 PM
i have the avant and i am under the impression its on the passanger side rear window, after taking that dide of to fit a towbar.

i have fantastic FM reception but i cant get AM for love nor money which really winds me up as i love TALKSPORT

Xizor
02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I also have a 2004 A4 1.9 TDI Sport Avant.
I can tell you that the aerial amp is just below the LHS rear side window, under the trim panel. It has connections from both rear side windows and the rear screen.
I was looking at mine today as I have a problem with the radio reception. It's rubbish!
I checked that I had 12V from the head unit and cleaned all the connections. However, it's still rubbish!

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Frank