PDA

View Full Version : Odd Stumble at idle up to 2k 2001 tdi (America)

Edjet
14-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Hello from Atlanta Ga, USA. This is a link from tdiclub.com web pages http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=176286&highlight=stumble

We have been beating our heads on this problem, may come down to trying another MAF from another car. Thanks for your input. Edjet

http://forums.tdiclub.com/images/icons/icon1.gif Odd stumble at idle up to 2k rpm
I've been reading to see if anyone else has ever seen this problem and can't find anything, so I'm asking for everyones help and suggestions. Let me set this up and get all the info I can. 2001 Jetta 107k miles. TB was just changed as this man had just bought the car and the belt was never done. He did it with some buddies that have changed them before however they didn't have Vag Com. Since the change he has had a hard start problem and several other issues. He came over and we hooked up the vag com and his timing was retarded but not terrible high 40's. We bumped it up and seem to have fixed the hard start. The car doesn't appear to have any mods except the muffler and cat are no longer there.
He is getting a flashing glow plug light with an associated CEL. However when I hooked the vag com up the lights went away and I wasn't able to pull any faults. Sitting at idle the car stumbles intermittently. Also up to 2k and down from 2k rpms it stumbles. Under acceleration it stumbles bad enough to chirp the tires. About every 5 starts or so the lights go out and don't come back till the next cycle. It will occasionally die when idling to a stop like a stop light or parking spot. It has a bad shudder letting out the clutch in the lower gears, 1st 2nd. The cruise control still works with the flashing glow plug light on, which when this happened to my 99.5 jetta the cruise wouldn't work as the brake switch was bad. He hasn't had the car long and doesn't believe that it was doing any of this before they did the belt and since he is a jet tech himself I believe that he would most definetly have noticed this problem as we tend to be a very picky and **** group. Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance. This is his first TDI and I would love to be able to help him get the real feel of these cars.
Forgot some thing. There doesn't appear to be any power issues as it pulls hard in all the gears.
Last edited by TNTKNC : 05-02-07 at 11:04 AM.

Ben
14-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi and welcom to the forum.

I hope you can get to the bottom of your problem. I am a great believer that if it aint broke then don't fix it. And also saving money where i can.

If the TB has never been done then it was right to get it sorted, however if the vehicle was running fine before it was touched and now it is not, then i could only suggest that the fault lies with the TB you changed.

When it comes to jet engines you guys are probably a very technical and a clever bunch of people, but a diesel jetta engine is nothing like a jet engine.

Do VW make jet engines?

I can only suggest taking it to a VW mechanic.

Good luck.

Ben

P.s. I'd like to visit your area one day as a certain favorite tv prog was filmed not too far from there.

Huweth
14-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Sounds like the TB is out. Take it off and refit it, making damn sure it's all lined up correctly. Since it is a non-PD engine you need to do the timing yourself. The PD engine fine adjusts timing automatically.

Edjet
22-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Sorry for such a delay from responding. The car is still having the same problem. We have checked timing with Vag-Com, and all is well. The car is faulting the QA. It was faulting the Modulating piston. I suggested to the owner to check all of his electrical connections first. The mechanic that performed the TB has several of the cars, and is very reliable when performing repairs. The owner of the car was not 100% sure if the problem was there prior to the belt change, but I think he would have noticed the stalling when releasing the clutch with no throttle. These cars don't normally stall out unless you hold down the brake at the same time.

thank you all for repling when did. I will let you all know what happens whenever we fix the problem. The car owner went through a recent move, and has not taken the time to work on the car.

I am not aware of VW or Audi making a jet engine. Believe or not, any of you working on your vw, doing the TB and trouble shooting the problems we have seen, are more than capable of working on a Jet airplane. There are special tools, greases, and fluids, but the audi/vw have these too. Changing a tire on an aircraft, or changing an ignitor on a jet engine, ususally is easier than working on some of these problems due to the available manufacture maintenace manuals to perform the tasks.

It is a lot of fun when you park one in the run up hole an take it take off power, watching the fuel flow in Pound per Hour burn away. EERR ERR ERRR

Thanks, and I will follow up.