PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Boot lighting and door lights not working

TDi_SE
24-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone. I have just recently signed up to the forum as I am the proud new owner of a 2004 Denim Blue, S-Line, 130 TDi A4. Its a great car, very pleased with it. Im just getting round to fixing all the niggly annoying problems we all get second hand cars. When the boot lid is open the lights which come on to light up the boot area dont come on. I have tried new bulbs but this hasnt cured the problem. Also when the doors are opened the small red lights built into the door card dont come on. Has anyone any ideas of what could be wrong? Any help would be really appreciated. :1zhelp:

SWARCUP
25-01-2010, 01:28 PM
It is most likely the microswitches inside the lock mechanisms that need replacing, little bit fiddly but achievable;)

TDi_SE
25-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Microswitches.... sounds awkward! Any more info on this? Would that mean the switches are away in all 4 doors aswell as the boot lid?

kite
25-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Are you sure you have bulbs in the door lights, they are part of the interior light pack.

TDi_SE
25-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Are you sure you have bulbs in the door lights, they are part of the interior light pack.

Good point, I didnt check. I just assumed that because there was red light covers on all four doors that they should light up when the doors opened. I just changed both bulbs in the boot for new ones and they still dont light up when the boot opens. I thought that maybe the door lights and boot lights could be connected.

kite
25-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the world of Audi, are your vanity mirrors illuminated ?

danclyon
25-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Mine aren't but the doors have lights in them :-)

Dan.

kite
25-01-2010, 09:57 PM
I thought they were both part of the interior light pack

danclyon
25-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I thought they were both part of the interior light pack

You and me both mate - however I have door lights and no illuminated vanity mirrors......*boggle*.

Mind you mine was one of the VERY last of the B6's....

Cheers,
Dan.

TDi_SE
25-01-2010, 10:12 PM

I dont have vanity mirror lights

kite
25-01-2010, 10:33 PM
You might not have the light pack so no lights in the doors !
See Dans post above..

TDi_SE
25-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Just went outside there, checked behind the red squares built into the door cards. It seems I dont have the lighting pack, the red squares are just reflectors! :Blush2: At least that solves one problem. Now just the boot lighting to worry about!

kite
25-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Does the boot light have a bulb in it, are there wires going to it, do you have power the light when the boot is open ?

TDi_SE
25-01-2010, 11:01 PM
The boot area has two lights. I put in two new bulbs into both the lights on saturday, there are wires going to both the lights but lights dont work. I'l hopefully get another look at it at the weekend.

SWARCUP
26-01-2010, 09:30 AM
just to confuse you then - i have the light pack with front ambient lights and all doors and boot lid have a red light that works but no lights on the vanity mirrors or footwells :confused: and my car was registered nov 2001

kite
26-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Very confusing......

MFGF
26-01-2010, 12:30 PM
just to confuse you then - i have the light pack with front ambient lights and all doors and boot lid have a red light that works but no lights on the vanity mirrors or footwells :confused: and my car was registered nov 2001

Perhaps a partial retro-fit by a previous owner?

MF.

SWARCUP
26-01-2010, 02:24 PM
ive got the original order for the car and it was fitted by audi

danclyon
26-01-2010, 06:52 PM
ive got the original order for the car and it was fitted by audi

Yours and mine - both Avant Sports - wonder if they threw them into that spec?

D.

TDi_SE
15-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Still havent solved this problem. I tested the connectors with a circuit tester, there doesnt seem to be any power reaching them. Does anyone know what could cause this? I have checked fuses and they all seem fine. All my other interior lights work, and the boot opens, closes and locks fine.

SWARCUP
16-02-2010, 01:42 PM
The boot light is activated via a microswitch built into the boot lock mechanism, it is most likely this is up the swanny, remove the inside boot liner to access the lock find the microswitch and try testing the current at this point if there is 12v at the switch and not at the light then the switch is broken or stuck. if memory serves they are replaceable on the saloon but the avant is a full new lock mechanism, anyone confirm this

TDi_SE
16-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will have have a go at that on saturday. Hopefully I can get the lights fixed, its really annoying fumbling around in the boot at dark looking for my work tools. Have to use the torch on my phone :aargh4:

dave2318
27-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Did you have any luck with this? I have an 05 Octavia with the same problem.

mr singh
01-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi guys

Any ideas on this? my front and rear interior lights stoped working. They dont come on at all now, either door open, when you unlock or arm disarm the alarm etc.. My ambient lights work (retro fitted) when the lights are on at night.

I heard on another forum its something to do with latch or something on the back of the boot mechnism? Mines a 2004 A4 Avant..

Any help would be great!

nattyboy
01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't see how it could be the latch if it isn't lighting up when you use the key fob. Stupid question but I take it you've checked the fuse?? What about vanity mirrors?

mr singh
01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't see how it could be the latch if it isn't lighting up when you use the key fob. Stupid question but I take it you've checked the fuse?? What about vanity mirrors?

I honestly couldnt find the fuse on the drivers dash side fuse panel. No vanity mirror lights in mine.

mr singh
06-10-2010, 01:05 PM
OK fixed the problem, fuse number 38 and the dome light holder on the front had come out of place so wasnt making a full circuit :D