PDA

View Full Version : Question diagnostic plugs

davehiby
24-01-2010, 10:01 PM
hi to every one the new boy on here and i have a 96 a4 b5 the diagnostic plug socket is in the rear ashtray i got a loan of a hand held code reader but the plug is to big to fit in the socket although its manuel says it should.i want to check fault codes because i usually ride a moterbike to work and after only a couple of days my cars battery is flat .i fitted new battery and alternator is charging, also when very cold it is very hard to start even with a fully charged up battery,it is like it has no choke,also on starting the revs jump from stalling point to normal going up and down for 10/ 15 seconds this also happens when you stop at a junction ect.a big read i know but has anyone got any suggestions for my problems cheers

chrismaher2007
25-01-2010, 12:37 PM
the cable will be a very tight squeeze. does it look like the same connection on top?

davehiby
25-01-2010, 12:49 PM
i have discovered that the hand held fault code scanner is a can type which i believe will not work on this model of audi 'the guy who loaned me it has a passat of similar age and thought it would do because it goes through audi vw years including mine but the plug is definatley to big for the socket in the rear ashtray,also on his passat the connection is under the steering wheel.

Audi A4 Lover
25-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right at all. From about 1992 all obd sockets were standardized. If it fits your mates passat it should 100% fit your Audi. If the plug has a big head on it try taking the ash tray totally out, I find that helps. And without trying to suggest you've not got a clue, the plug will only go in one way, have you got it the right way round? Photos would be a big help in sorting this out too.

davehiby
25-01-2010, 04:58 PM
hi i managed to fit the plug in by trimming back the plastic around the socket slightly. only came up with 1 fault code 532 .someone has suggested to me that the diodes in the alternator have gone allowing battery charge to leak.also it may be a split vacuum hose that is causing idling problems

chrismaher2007
25-01-2010, 05:38 PM
00532 - Supply Voltage B+

00532 - Supply Voltage B+: Signal too Low

Possible Causes

Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module faulty
Power Supply (Battery/Generator) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module
Check Power Supply (Battery/Generator)

Special Notes

When found in an individual control module, it's most likely a local source (e.g. wiring/connectors).
When found in multiple control modules at the same time, it's most likely a common source (e.g. ground spot, battery, generator).
Intermittent codes are often stored during low outside temperature when the battery capacity goes down and may be ignored.
Common with 16946/P0562/001378 - System Voltage: Too Low (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/16946/P0562/001378) stored in other control modules.

davehiby
25-01-2010, 07:16 PM
00532 - Supply Voltage B+

00532 - Supply Voltage B+: Signal too Low

Possible Causes

Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module faulty
Power Supply (Battery/Generator) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Control Module
Check Power Supply (Battery/Generator)

Special Notes

When found in an individual control module, it's most likely a local source (e.g. wiring/connectors).
When found in multiple control modules at the same time, it's most likely a common source (e.g. ground spot, battery, generator).
Intermittent codes are often stored during low outside temperature when the battery capacity goes down and may be ignored.
Common with 16946/P0562/001378 - System Voltage: Too Low (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/16946/P0562/001378) stored in other control modules.

many thanks......in the fault code readers manule it says Supply Voltage B+