PDA

View Full Version : Interior rattles - glovebox, dash, pillar trims

macdoc
14-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Anyone have specific locations of 'problem' rattles in late 2006 build Passat's?

I tracked down rattle in glovebox area - 3 problems,

1. LHS fuse panel plastic cover - remove panel & lubricate 3 retaining clips with grease.
2. Glovebox retaining pins - lubricate backside of pins that hold the glovebox in closed position.
3. Front passenger door trim - too tight tolerance plastic trim touching metal part of door - fit neoprene rubber washer between plastic & metal part.

All very quite now on LHS front part of vehicle!:Blush:

iaint
14-05-2007, 03:29 PM
My glovebox rattle was my handbook !!!!

The handbook is the ring binder type and on the back it has two metal rivets which hold the metal rings in place. These were rattling on the plastic pull down tray and by simply turning my handbook over it cured the problem.

I'm glad it was something simple.
Iain

Quatrelle
21-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Anyone have specific locations of 'problem' rattles in late 2006 build Passat's?

1. LHS fuse panel plastic cover - remove panel & lubricate 3 retaining clips with grease.
2. Glovebox retaining pins - lubricate backside of pins that hold the glovebox in closed position.
3. Front passenger door trim - too tight tolerance plastic trim touching metal part of door - fit neoprene rubber washer between plastic & metal part.

Mine's (Dec 2006) fine at the moment, but thanks for the post - might be useful!http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/../images/icons/icon7.gif

DaveA
14-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I have the glove box rattle problems with my 5mth old passat and have not been able to track it down as yet so I will try your suggestions Thanks! . Can you fix these problems easily yourself or do you need a dealer to do it re warranty issues etc ?

macdoc
14-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I have the glove box rattle problems with my 5mth old passat and have not been able to track it down as yet so I will try your suggestions Thanks! . Can you fix these problems easily yourself or do you need a dealer to do it re warranty issues etc ?

First 2 do yourself,

1. Remove fuse panel cover next to glove box and lubricate sparingly the 3 retaining clips, re-fit cover.
2. Open glovebox, there are 2 sliding pins on either side (when you actuate lever to open glove box you will see this) lubricate the 'backside' of these pins.

Use a thick type of grease. Castrol zinc oxide (PH) grease will work good, just dont get it on any fabric as it is water proof and does not clean off easily.

Any troubles, let me know and I'll take some digital photo's.

James.

DaveA
14-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks very much for responding so quickly, if it's not too much trouble to take some photos I'd really appreciate it, at least then I can be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks again !

Dave

First 2 do yourself,

1. Remove fuse panel cover next to glove box and lubricate sparingly the 3 retaining clips, re-fit cover.
2. Open glovebox, there are 2 sliding pins on either side (when you actuate lever to open glove box you will see this) lubricate the 'backside' of these pins.

Use a thick type of grease. Castrol zinc oxide (PH) grease will work good, just dont get it on any fabric as it is water proof and does not clean off easily.

Any troubles, let me know and I'll take some digital photo's.

James.

Quatrelle
14-06-2007, 05:25 PM
I followed Macdoc's advice and things seem to have got quieter (actually mine were more like a buzz). I put a piece of very thin foam around my driver's manual in case that was rattling. Get your passenger to hold the glove box lid up tight when on the move to see if it stops.

Not sure about the fuse panel cover being in the same place - mine's l.h. drive of course - forgot to have a look.

Thanks again James.

DaveA
15-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I was looking around the site and came across another suggestion that it could in fact be the plastic wheel arch cover fixings that had popped out and the cover could be flapping in the wind and hitting the back of the wheel arch. It sounds like it's coming from inside but it's not.

When I looked, sure enough the plastic cover was free of its fixings, its easy to pop back in and I'm please to say the rattle has gone !

This is a great forum and I will certainly take up the other suggestions people have made as a precautionary measure.

Thanks everyone for you help :beerchug:

Dave

Quatrelle
17-06-2007, 09:28 PM
While we're on gloveboxes, has anyone still got the little orange tag that pulls down the plastic tray to access the driver's manual?

This tag can be cut off (every time I used it the tray came down and hit my knuckles), because there is a little pull handle behind it which drops the tray down onto the palm of your hand - much more civilised!

Apologies to anyone who already knows this:o