PDA

View Full Version : Halogen d.r.ls

Douglas C
24-01-2010, 01:01 AM
O.K. it's dumb question time.
I have an 2.7 SE on order and I've been reading, with interest, on here about the pros and cons of led drls. I know that my car will not have leds, but halogen ones. Now here's the dumb question,are the halogen ones just one bulb in each headlight unit, or are there several. I didn't look at "switched on" lights when I was at the Dealer and am curious to know how these will look.

vagman-p
24-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I had a demo for a weekend and I thought the standard halogen DRLs looked pretty good. I didn't look too closely at the number of bulbs, but it gave a band of light as the base of each headlamp, similar to the LEDs on a way. I think the A4 DRLs look better than the A3's....

Douglas C
24-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for that. My car is scheduled for build in week 9 so I don't expect to see it until the end of March or thereabouts - Can't wait !!

Tony2
24-01-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2010_A4_Premium_Front_DRL.jpg

I think like these???

Gary_W
24-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Douglas,

I got my A4 SE with the halogens this week.

They do look like seperate bulbs, but they lack the differentiation of the LED's. The LED's are clearly seperate bulbs and look that way at a reasonable distance. The halogens have a kind of frosty glass in front of them so it's more of a glowing underscore than a distinctive LED swirl. Trying to use Nigella Lawson-esque language there to paint a picture!

I think this is one of those win / win situations really... If the LED's were not available as a basis for comparison then no-one would complain about the Halogens on the A4; they look very nice indeed IMO and they do the job that they are employed to do (namely look nice and make you more visible during the day without resorting to sidelights). It's just that the LED's look more distinctive and have more of the 'wow' factor. Some would argue that the 'wow' factor they give is a bit too blingy and I guess some would avoid them for that reason.

I personally prefer the LED running lights to the halogens and if I'd ordered again I'd have gone for them in hindsight, even at the premium (you are, after all, getting better headlights to go-with). This is a minor and petulant niggle really, as the current lights look good and do the job in a car that I'm really pleased with so far.

Enjoy the new car - I certainly am enjoying mine! As an aside, if you are a music fan I highly recommend the AMI and the B+O. These are features that really make me grin.

Gary

Douglas C
24-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks very much for taking the trouble,Tony, to post the picture. I think these look good.
I know what you mean Gary about the "bling" factor of the LEDS, my other half isn't that keen on them. For myself, I would have them, but couldn't really justify the expense.
Good Forum this !!!

Gary_W
24-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks very much for taking the trouble,Tony, to post the picture. I think these look good.
I know what you mean Gary about the "bling" factor of the LEDS, my other half isn't that keen on them. For myself, I would have them, but couldn't really justify the expense.
Good Forum this !!!

Forgetting the LED's for a minute, look at the lights themselves.... with the halogens, they are what they are and point forwards.

With the Xenons, they are brighter and also swivel to track the road to some extent. Whilst I can see that justifying the £1000+ that it costs to add these lights is a hard one if it's just the LED's, it may be more important to you if there are lots of country road style journies on the cards.

For me, I spend 90% of my time on motorways so the adaptive headlights are a bit harder to justify. But for those who live out in the sticks there may be a bit more of a reason to dig deep :) I haven't been in a car with the adaptive lights, so I'm talking theory here of course. And it may be one of those things that you only miss it if you've had it before and now you haven't!

And yes, it's a very good forum - I've not been a member for long but I've met some very helpful people here :)

Gary

Tony2
24-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Audi are leading the way with headlight so whichever youve got be sure they look the nuts.............

lazerst
25-01-2010, 07:24 AM
here here to what tony said.. see many cars here in australia...especially older holden commodores that attempt a DIY with the LED strip... sometimes annoying to see, but also funny when your next to one coz you know yours a genuine :) :)

greeng4309
08-02-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2010_A4_Premium_Front_DRL.jpg

I think like these???
Is this as far as the Halogen DRL's stretch on the SE, or do they run the whole length of the light unit?

Can anyone share some of their photo's of their Halogen DRL's.. Struggling to find any decent pictures.

Cheers..