PDA

View Full Version : Long life oil for PD engines

genix
23-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Hi,
I was wondering what oil you guys use to top up your VAG PD engines.

My Golf Plus (2.0 TDI, 2005) is on long life service (needs multigrade vw506.01, according to the book). Any advice re a convenient source for good quality oil?

Thanks for your time, any answer appreciated.

ronan g
24-01-2010, 07:56 PM
5w30 fully synthetic diesel based engine oil. You will see your code marked onn the can. that is usually the case. but check your service book history for any helpful guidance. The garage where you bought the car may have been servicing it since it was new with that or 5w40. some idiots use only part synthetic. the reality is that if a different oil has been used from new the engine will burn oil of the right standard and vise versa.

genix
25-01-2010, 10:46 AM
5w30 fully synthetic diesel based engine oil. You will see your code marked onn the can. that is usually the case. but check your service book history for any helpful guidance. The garage where you bought the car may have been servicing it since it was new with that or 5w40. some idiots use only part synthetic. the reality is that if a different oil has been used from new the engine will burn oil of the right standard and vise versa.

Thanks ronan. According to the service history, the car was on time&distance and then moved onto variable/longlife (in March 2009), so I intend to wait until it tells me the service is due and then decide if I keep with variable servicing or not.
Anyway, I understand VAG engines are fairly heavy on oil, so I want to buy the right one to have it handy for top-ups. I saw Halfords have their own fully synthetic for vW/Audi(5l for £41.99) but also sell a Castrol Edge 5w30 (4l for £44.99) and Mobil 1 ESP (5l for £49.99). Any recommendation here? Can they be found cheaper elesewhere?
Thanks,

oilman
25-01-2010, 06:13 PM
If you are on variable service using a latest VW507.00 spec is ideal.

All of these are approved http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-754-vw-50700-oil.aspx

Cheers

Guy

ronan g
25-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi there again,
Just to say again- vw only consume too much oil when wrong the wrong grade(eg. 10w/40) is used for servicing, when only the old grade should be used. Don't give the horse potataos when he likes oats!
I don't and many others like me that service our own engines don't strickly adhere to the service indicator request. Its only a general indicator if you like, other factors govern needed service like driving style, quality of fuel, tow hitch, short journeys, left running etc.. so its good to service every 5 to 6 k miles or 6 months, which ever the sooner. longlife oil duration is not good for keeping the filter in check, it can get too dirty then the oil won't filter after that. One tip, use liquid moly engine flush with old oil and then flush drian away.
I drove two hrs away from home for plenty service parts incuding oil(55.12 net pounds for 25l) at Aiken in enniskillen, n.i. in Nov.
Down south prices are donkeys. my oil is 5w/40 is 140 euros for 25 litres in any mtr factor. Yours should be about 80 inc. vat shopping around mate.

ronan g
25-01-2010, 11:09 PM
ronan here again just to add to the last msg i sent a minute ago cause i forgot.
old engines that haven't been serviced frequently or properly will burn oil also. ;]

ronan g
25-01-2010, 11:14 PM
i am worried prehaps i put my add in the wrong place!
t5 headlight problem, can anybody find it displayed any where?
If so where is it?... the north pole, I know the van its self is outside my front door!;]

mdbs
10-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I think "long life" should be read as "shorter life"... A few VW people near me dont regard it as a good idea.

SMEG
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi,

I use Castrol Edge 5w30 fully synthetic to VW 507.00 and change it every six months regardless of mileage in my tdi 140.

johnloaderuk
10-04-2010, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=ronan g;468493]Hi there again,
Just to say again- vw only consume too much oil when wrong the wrong grade(eg. 10w/40) is used for servicing, when only the old grade should be used. Don't give the horse potataos when he likes oats!
[QUOTE]

Have to say I completely disagree with this. I've had several brand new VW cars, some covering up to 215k miles (I do a lot of work miles) my last new one earlier this year, a 2010 Passat. Every single one is serviced by a main agent on time, every time, without fail. My second to last Passat Sport 2.0 TDI 140 was treated gently for the first 5k miles, got rid of it at 146k, and it still went through oil - seems to be a characteristic of the 2.0 litre diesel engines. If you read other threads on the Audis, Passats, Golfs etc, they all do. If you check your VW handbook they say it's in limit if it uses up to something like 1 litre to 600 miles driven. I've also had five of the older 1.9 TDI models and these used very little oil in comparison.

genix
01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
... went through oil - seems to be a characteristic of the 2.0 litre diesel engines. If you read other threads on the Audis, Passats, Golfs etc, they all do. If you check your VW handbook they say it's in limit if it uses up to something like 1 litre to 600 miles driven. I've also had five of the older 1.9 TDI models and these used very little oil in comparison.Not sure it is the type of engine.... my 2 l TDI-PD covered almost 4 k without any major visible change in the oil level (checked regularly)...