PDA

View Full Version : Engine workshop!

Chris Knight
23-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I've owned my 2002 registered Skoda Actavia Ambiente estate automatic for about 4 months. Just recently, about 30 seconds after starting the engine, the on-board computer has sent a warning "beep" with the message "ENGINE WORKSHOP!" followed by a continuous flashing of the glow-plug warning light.
As far as I can tell, the actual function of the engine is unaffected.
My local garage (not a Skoda dealer) ran a diagnostic check, and suggested that the fuel pump has a problem. Before I rush into an expensive repair or replacement, can anyone tell me whether there is another possible cause for these symptoms?

towcestervag
24-01-2010, 11:10 PM
check brake lights are working!
also get it checked on a vag com

Chris Knight
25-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Thank you for the tips! Yes, the brake lights work OK. Does that narrow it down a bit?
I will try and get to a VAG computer and see what it reveals . . . .

Chris Knight
28-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Apologies! I was wrong when I said the brake lights were OK. Fact is, the LED high-level brake light works, but the normal (side) brake lights don't.
Can you now point me in the right direction? Thank you for prompting me to check properly!
Chris Knight

towcestervag
28-01-2010, 08:43 PM
firstly check the bulbs
then if ok remove brake light switch and recheck
if they still dont work you will probably req a new switch

Chris Knight
29-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks for that. I'll let you know what happens.

Chris Knight
07-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Absolutely brilliant, and quite amazing! Putting in new bulbs for the brake lights fixed the "Engine Workshop" warning problem!! I thank you very much for your advice, which saved a potentially expensive fuel pump repair job!
(It also fixed the brake lights.) You deserve a medal!