PDA

View Full Version : golf tdi mk4 oil change

billiejay
14-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Having been quoted £175 for the 100,000 mile service from the local VW dealer (which I was then told was merely for an oil change, filter, pollen filter and safety check!), I think I'll ask my dad to to do it (yes i'm a car incompetent girlie).....so does anyone know what spec of oil I need to buy for him..or would the local Motosave/Halfords etc. have a specification book for the oil & filter?
Cheers guys (or of course, any girl mechanics out there) :beerchug:

shooey88
14-05-2007, 12:32 PM
depends what make and model your car is

the VW dealerships use:

if its an old TDI (not PD) then you want MAGNETIC

f it is 2001+ a PD diesel TDI recommend using VW PD oil

PD ENGINE 2001+ if you on a long life service regime and want the quality (but very expensive oil) SLX long life

Eshrules
14-05-2007, 12:43 PM
depends what make and model your car is

the VW dealerships use:

if its an old TDI (not PD) then you want MAGNETIC

f it is 2001+ a PD diesel TDI recommend using VW PD oil

PD ENGINE 2001+ if you on a long life service regime and want the quality (but very expensive oil) SLX long life

just to add to this, i belive the grades for the PD engine on fixed interval servicing is 505.01

for longlife/variable interval servicing, 506.01/507

i would always stick with the major well known brands, such as castrol etc.

for example, my 2000 115 gt tdi (pd) uses castrol edge turbo diesel (specd @ 505.01) @ £45 for 4 litres, it isnt cheap, but just think about what the oil is responsible for, it really isnt that bad in comparison to what may result from cutting corners.

NEVER EVER use *********/tescos/asdas own brand diesel in a VAG Tdi.

billiejay
14-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks a lot for your help. I got the ex fleet 2002 golf last May so it's the first service with me (only done 5000 miles since in the last 12 months but assume oil change is still good idea?) . Not up on whether it's a PD engine(PD ??) but assume so as it's 2002 model. anyway will go for the 505 01 spec. oil. Cheers