PDA

View Full Version : help on heater/cooling system

maccayzf1966
22-01-2010, 12:32 PM
audi a6 1994 2.0ltr petrol bin havin trouble with little heat inside the car ,have flushed whole cooling system and heater matrix which has improved the heat slightly.i have noticed when re filling etc n leavin car running that those big hose on top of red gets red hot but the bottom hose on rad stays cold even once car up to 90deg on temp gauge.not sure if this was happenig before i flushed system as something you not notice.friend says the stat is dead but why does the car not overheat etc. any ideas before i start throwing money down the drain.:o

hollo
22-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Hello ,

I had a similar problem , but my temperature gauge didn't ever go above 60 . I got the thermostat changed and it solved the problem , I now get hot air out of the heater after couple of miles.

Mike .

kite
22-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Or the water pump is broken....

maccayzf1966
22-01-2010, 05:29 PM
thanks kite but if water pump gone surely engine would fry or something else not work etc cheers

kite
22-01-2010, 05:32 PM
The vanes on the impellor break and sometimes the impellorcome off the shaft so it pumps but not as it should..

kite
22-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I would change the stat firstthen go from there

almano
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Similar problem here with 2.5 TDI Quattro. Temp gauge does not go over 60 degree celsius. no matter how long i drive. The het is very low inside. I changed the thermostat, but nothing changed still not going over 60.
What can be?

maccayzf1966
02-02-2010, 10:11 PM
first i tried flushing heater matrix with hose which seemed to generate more heat inside cabbin im havin stat changed tomorrow so will post results

almano
03-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Similar problem here with 2.5 TDI Quattro. Temp gauge does not go over 60 degree celsius. no matter how long i drive. The het is very low inside. I changed the thermostat, but nothing changed still not going over 60.
What can be?
Nobody??:confused:

kite
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Nobody??:confused:
Try changing the coolant temp. sensor.

almano
03-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Try changing the coolant temp. sensor.
We changed already that too. It is not that. The car runs very cool. no heat at all.

kite
03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Try a genuine thermostat.
the gauge could be broken, the heater matrix could be blocked.
check the engine temp with a thermometer

maccayzf1966
04-02-2010, 09:09 PM
stat changed today n heater better than b4 not brilliant but then it is 16yrs old so cant expect to much.so matrix flush n new stat worked for me.

hagar-a6
03-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I've been running an A6 estate 2.0 Auto for the past two weeks & it's ffffreeeeeeeezzing :confused: I've flushed the system, fitted a new stat. that's raised the engine temp. Bled the system through the bleed screw on the top hose. Disconnected the the two hoses running to the matrix and get a good flow through them using a hose. Good pressure from the bleed screw when the engines running. My next guess would be that there is something up with the heater matrix and/or the control flaps that control the air flow past the rad.

As a newbie I've been reading the post about diagnostics but don't fancy paying garage fees........................

Any advice would be most welcome.................................... :1zhelp:

fit4free
14-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Anyone had a problem with not being able to control the temp from the drivers side face level vent? After driving for just over an hour on 3 occasions now the temperature just goes full on and can't get it down; tried all sorts of control combinations. Having to drive with the window open a bit to stop being cooked.

It's strange that it takes a while to go to this mode.

It's a 2007 A6 avant 2.0 diesel

Whoops, posted in wrong section

Ray@dds
02-05-2011, 10:45 PM
:DHi

I have 95 A6.
Have had this problem twice [in 252000 miles though:D]
|If you go under the Battery cover and remove the two pipes [make sure you know which one is which!!!!] which feed the heater matrix, gunk may have collected there at the metal spigot for the hoses,as it does in mine.....a quick scrape with a screwdriver[carefully!] big stick or flexi brush should do the trick!.Flush out all the debris and hey presto!
This was found after the rad flush and heater matrix clean out, thermostat change!!!

Hope this helps

Ray