PDA

View Full Version : location of ECU on 1995 80 Cabrio?

brd
14-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi,

Do you know where exactly the ECU is for a 1995 Audi 80 Cabrio (engine ABK - 2.0L 8V)?

Thanks, Brian.

S2AVANT
14-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Mine is under / behind the glovebox, it's based on an 80 so should be the same.

brd
14-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks... I'll have a look. Do you know if I can get access to it from under the glovebox or whether I need to take the glove box out?

S2AVANT
14-05-2007, 10:16 PM
If it's the same location as mine you need to be upside down in the passenger footwell swearing like a trooper to get it out from behind the glovebox. If your car has aircon then it's harder to remove.

brd
16-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks... found it exactly where you said... swore as necessary (alot)... and then discovered that I got the wrong damn one as the car is a cabrio and while I got the right one for the engine (ABK) it cannot actually be easily changed as the one in the car has an immobiliser built in that reads a chip in the key when you want to start the car. So to change it I believe I need to get one programmed for the key and all that melarky. Damn.

For info: For a lefthand drive 80 cabrio 1995, you whip out the glove box (4 bolts - easy), a small plastic cover near the door pillar and pull the floor carpet back a bit (not easy as its a bit reinforced here and there). Then remove the wooden foot plate and the top screw of the metal support for this wooden plate nearest the central console - so it can twist a little out of the way. The ECU is up behind the ventilation system and is held in with one screw - which you can open with one of those very small philips head inserts for a drill and either a spanner on it or an adjustable spanner. To disconnect the multiplug, it is held on with a sliding black locking plastic piece. You can just see it at the wheel arch side of the plug... using a screwdriver, slide this towards the wheel arch and the plug will drop down easy enough when released. It shouldn't be too difficult to slide. (Other types seem to have a metal clip on one side that needs to be pushed back which allows the multi-plug to swing down and off - I think)
Then the ECU slides down and out by just pulling... easy enough.

I'm going to fit it back in this evening... so more swearing and cussin for sure.
B.

PS: All this to STILL try and fix the intermittant running problems (another thread)!! Maybe I'll just have to sell the damn car.... somehow.

brd
17-05-2007, 08:18 AM
OK... fitted it last night... was a doddle! Slotted in with only a bit of gruntin... and not TOO much swearing this time.

(nothing like a problem that you can't fix to find out everything about a car I tell you!!)
B.