PDA

View Full Version : Passat v5 wise buy?

gas
14-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi all

I get my hands on a 52 Passat V5 with 35000 miles with full service history for £6995 unfortunately I cannot get any opinions on the things I should be aware of such as faults, fuel consumption etc...... could you enlight me?:o

Bajie
14-05-2007, 03:51 PM
I think it is a very wise buy actually.
I do an 80mile round trip to work so wanted something which could munch the miles and make me feel comfortable.
I coach football so also wanted a large boot for when I needed to take associated equipment.

Reliability was a concern as I had bought a few cheaper runarounds which just were not up to the job.
I did not want a diesel as I would have been tempted to chip it and car modding easily gets out of hand with me.

I have a "51" V5 with full service history and a lot more miles than that!

Have had no problems, looked for any faults to be noted [by using this site] and up to now the car is running very well.
I do a lot of motorway driving and on a full tank get an indicated 450 miles which eventually balances out to 400 [due to my driving style I guess].

Had to get a new battery recently. New one on and away I go :)

Check engine light has just come on but as the car has done 125k I'm guessing this is a sensor on the way out.
Car is showing no "bad signs" so will park her up till I can get it into the garage.

For a seven year old car, I love it. Its a bit stealth so the car does not try to wear a Carlos Fandango chest wig and lots of bling.
But it does get me from A to B via x,y,z with minimum fuss.

Get one, you'll love it.

gas
14-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info

It is very difficult to get a feel for a car you just did not think on buying until you stumbe onto one. I only do about 4000 miles a year and I think that my 52 Mondeo diesel is a bit under used (I fancy something a bit more exciting).

Cheers

Gas

V5 LPG
22-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I have a 2001 V5, take it steady and the economy is good, engine is very smooth and quite, but takes on a different character above 4000RPM and then again at 6000RPM, don't use this much though, but good when you do.
Had mine converted to LPG, get the equivelant of 50MPG - so more than happy.
Only probs have been the dreaded water into the footwells, usual thing, bulkhead drains holes blocked.
Overall best car I've ever run

gas
12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi Mate

Sorry for late reply ....been away!

Thanks for the info, car still for sale (just dropped to £6500) they are stuck with it but I don't know for how long.

Cheers

David