PDA

View Full Version : wheels

geejayy
21-01-2010, 12:11 PM
hi guys,

i've been told 16'' passat wheels will fit an 03 sharan , is this correct??

Brian Considine
22-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Even if they do they will almost certainly not be load rated for the Sharon - a much heavier vehicle than the Passat.

Could be dangerous & invalidate your insurance.

geejayy
22-01-2010, 10:18 AM
cheerz bri,
spoke wi a m8 at a,t,s last night.
he confirmed this as a prob

drodders
22-01-2010, 11:10 AM
i have passat wheels on my 03 bus just had to change the tyres which are 215,55,16 & load rated been on it now for over 12 months have a look on the
www.carbibles.com/tyre (http://www.carbibles.com/tyre) it will tell you everything you need to know....:beerchug:

geejayy
22-01-2010, 12:09 PM
i have passat wheels on my 03 bus just had to change the tyres which are 215,55,16 & load rated been on it now for over 12 months have a look on the
www.carbibles.com/tyre (http://www.carbibles.com/tyre) it will tell you everything you need to know....:beerchug:

cheerz for the link drodders, thats some good info,

but it was the load rateing of the wheels that is questioned i think?

drodders
22-01-2010, 12:29 PM
the load rating on my tyres is 97 at 750kg per tyre H reinforced on 215,55,16 hope this helps...

check here also,tyres arent cheap though all mine are avon reinforced...
www.blackcircles.com/general/sidewall (http://www.blackcircles.com/general/sidewall)

drodders
22-01-2010, 12:32 PM
by the way the photo of the wheels your after are on the sport models & the sl model as an option...which you probably know already..

geejayy
22-01-2010, 08:49 PM
by the way the photo of the wheels your after are on the sport models & the sl model as an option...which you probably know already..

:Blush2: i know nothing :D thats why i'm asking here,
i got back to my mate, he was talking 'bout tyre load rateings.

cheerz for the help.

geejayy
22-01-2010, 08:59 PM
would a change of off set, say from 59-42 make any appreciable difference if all 4 wheels changed??

drodders
23-01-2010, 12:43 PM
would a change of off set, say from 59-42 make any appreciable difference if all 4 wheels changed??
all as i can say is my offset is 42,but on my friends its 45 sorry cant shed no more light on it...all as you need is 7 J X 16 5X112 ET42

you can always ring the main dealer to get it from the horses mouth...hope this has helped...as iv said iv got passat alloys on my bus..

Brian Considine
24-01-2010, 08:27 PM
cheerz for the link drodders, thats some good info,

but it was the load rateing of the wheels that is questioned i think?

Yes, the wheels as well as the tyres must be load rated to remain legal, sure there are people running around with tyre/wheel combinations that are not load rated - IMHO that's their lookout - as long as they don't collide with me through tyre/wheel failure.

geejayy
27-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Yes, the wheels as well as the tyres must be load rated to remain legal, sure there are people running around with tyre/wheel combinations that are not load rated - IMHO that's their lookout - as long as they don't collide with me through tyre/wheel failure.

i guess thats calculated by halveing the axle max load kgs ?

is there a code on wheels to indicate this ?:confused:

( have spoke with local dealer , just got brushed off, )

Brian Considine
28-02-2010, 01:30 PM
i guess thats calculated by halveing the axle max load kgs ?

is there a code on wheels to indicate this ?:confused:

( have spoke with local dealer , just got brushed off, )

Wheel load bearing can be diffecult to assess - the dealer may not want to give advice because of possible litigation should a problem arise.

geejayy
28-02-2010, 11:23 PM
:biglaugh::biglaugh: thats just typical,

yes there is a min load rateing
& by law you need to meet this requirement
but we at vw arn't gonna tell you what it is in case we get sued.
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh:

its like something out of monty python:beerchug: