PDA

View Full Version : Polo Gti Traction control problem?

pups_nuts
13-05-2007, 10:53 PM
:aargh4: Hi All, Had this annoying problem with my polo gti (2000) for ages now. From stationary/still start as I aproach approx 2 -3 mph the front o/s brake is automatically being applied. I think this is by the abs pump in an opposite manner to the way the abs works ie, traction control.
Replaced the two front abs sensors with no success.

Any ideas out there??

shooey88
13-05-2007, 11:57 PM
have you jacked it up stationary and see if the wheel spins freely. the brakes may be binding that side. mechanical fault rather then electrical.

pups_nuts
16-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion - I have jacked upthe o/s/f wheel with the engine running. When I spin the wheel very slowly by hand the brake is being applied rapidly but intermitantly (almost as if the abs is functioning).
Both ABS sensors at the front have been replaced.
??

shooey88
16-05-2007, 12:08 PM
did u have the ignition off whilst turning the wheel stationary by hand...as i very doubt the ABS would be activating the brakes if so

however...
if there is no faults logged within you ABS system via a vagcom..id be more likely to start checking for a mechanical fault.....
id be more willing to just check the simple things first....like stripping and cleaning the brakes or seeing if the disc is warped. looking at mechanical failures.
this is because a new ABS unit is very expensive. i have never heard of an ABS unit causing this fault. however, if you have vag com you can use it to see if the speed sensors are the cause of your problem. checking to see if the speed of the wheel is registering.
let us know how u get on.

pups_nuts
16-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi, The wheel turns freely with the ignition off. The abs pump only runs once the engine is running and the o/s/f wheel is spun at approx 3 mph. As it accelerates faster the braking device (abs pump I suspect) cuts out again. I believe that this is the opposite to abs and may well be the traction control device?? (AA guy mentioned this). By the way the AA originally looked at this and found a front sensor fault but this didn't fix the problem.
However, I have had the car hooked up to a VAG com since and it shows a rear right abs sensor fault - this will be replaced on Friday so will update then.. Fingers crossed
Thanks for your help so far!

shooey88
16-05-2007, 08:02 PM
your car dosent have traction control btw
very odd and unusual fault. with vag com if you look in measured value blocks you can see what speed the wheel sins at....if the speed sensor is faulty it wil lhave an inaccurate reading to the rest...test it with this

pups_nuts
18-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi, Rear abs sensor fault evident on rear wheel sensor. Replaced today but fault still there.

Can anyone help??????