PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to make my 1.8 Cab a little bit nippier?

BarryD
13-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi, I've a lovely 1.8 cabrio in dark blue. I've owned it for a year or so and it's a smashing car. Of course the dash electrics play up the fuel gauge and temp gauge are a bit god and guess work. It's the entry model so no toys on it.

1. The electric ariel is bust - I cannot seem to work out how to take the boot lining apart to get at it. Any clues? I unscrewed everything but that did not help :o

2. I don't think there are any speakers behind the rear pods - how do I get to them without taking the car apart?

3. It's no slouch for a 1.8 but I would like a little bit more oommphhh. How much can I do without major surgery - seeing as me and spanners are a lost cause. I was hoping for something around the breathing MAF (bring back K&N Filters) and maybe a chip? Any recomendations? I really want more go in the 30 - 70 range and pick up as opposed to top end or 0-60 times.

Sorry to openm with questions! Cheers all.

m4xmw
20-05-2007, 07:55 AM
The boot trim removal is on another post I think.

As for replacing rear speakers... if you dont know what to do, take it to car audio shop.
It shouldn`t be too expensive to get new speakers fitted.

As for more ooooomph, a new filter ie K+N in the airbox should help along with a remap of the ecu.

It still wont make things a lot quicker, just maybe better throttle response and generally a bit crisper.

Oh and thats assuming that the car has been serviced and has recent plugs and the injectors are clean etc.(ie use some fuel additive to make sure)

hope this helps

Mark

brd
21-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Changing the rear speakers isn't difficult... gently pull out the top of the panel inserts and you'll see that they easily pop out, then up... then pick your speakers and slot them straight in. If the exisiting ones are amplified like mine were, just run new (decent!) speakers cables back from the head unit... an afternoons playing and you're sorted. I fitted 6" speakers I think with a 2 inch vertical cut of the metal panel and bending it back out of the way... depends on the speakers and magnet sizes.
B.

S2AVANT
21-05-2007, 09:33 PM
My friend fitted a 2.2 20v into his to make it a little faster.

97Cab
28-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I too have just bought an entry level cab. Checked the multiplug behind the "new" head unit previous owner had installed hoping for signs of a bodged job however speaker loom (green cables) clearly showed only 2 pairs leading me to believe there are no speakers in the rear pods and even if there are they will require wiring.

The sub woofer behind the seat centre seems wired up but I think I've read in another thread that this is run from an amp taking a signal from one of the other channels - my sub is quite as a mouse so who knows what's wired up or just bust.

Wmcf

JonnyPilot
28-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Can't guarantee that there are speakers there, but I have recently replaced the head unit in my 96 cabriolet. I took the aftermarket advice from the Blaupunkt dealer and bought the recommended wiring adapter. Found that actually what worked was a standard VW Audi converter, not the advised "cabriolet specific" loom adapter. My rear speakers miraculously began to function.

If the original factory fit loom is in evidence, and we are on the same spec, then the brown plug should have two green pairs in the centre of the speaker connections and then the rear pair are wired from the outside of the plug to a separate connector that disappears off to - well behind the dash.

The adaptor I bought was a tenner from Halfords. If this looks promising ie similar to your layout then I would try that before you cut any wires. It should be possible to try the adaptor if you are care ful with the packaging, and take it back if it is no good.

I need help with my power aerial now. It goes down great, but even after stripping it down it will not power up, despite 12v supplied. Any advice from anyone gratefully received!

:1zhelp: :beerchug: