PDA

View Full Version : Golf mk4 1.8gti turbo

trish
13-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi guys,
can anyone help me, i have just noticed a smell of petrol from the back of my golf,not so much inside the car but outside from the back, i havent yet had it checked out but i was wondering if anyone had any ideals, are there hoses there with jubilee clips ??? or my worst fear is maybe the tank is rusty??
Its a Golf mk4 51 model petrol gti turbo.
Any ideals would be great, i dont have a manual so i dont know what the fuel assembly is like, i dont seem to be losing a lot of fuel at the moment i seen a few spots on the drive today, Trish :confused:

shooey88
13-05-2007, 05:20 PM
on a mark 4 i doubt the tank rusty....vw dont use cheap material that rust easily.,....more likey u damaged it if its leaking.
the fuel filter is also at the back and near the tank so thats a possibility
has fuel pipes going from the tank too
need to have a look underneath for a fuel leak.
have you have any work done to you car to suggest a cause of leak?

trish
13-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi thanks for your quick reply, no i havent had any work done to the car, and as far as i am aware i havent done any damage it just started to smell in last 2 days. take into account i am a woman who knows nothing about cars LOL,
I think there is a leek as i have seen a few tiny spots of petrol on the floor,

Trish x

shooey88
13-05-2007, 05:46 PM
is the smell defo coming from the back of the car...not inside or the front

the advise i can give u....is follow ur nose till its a strong smell and till u find a wet patch. lol

the areas to look at are:
the tank underneath the car near the fuel filler cap side.
and the fuel filter near by the tank being a metal cylinderical shape with pipe coming off each end

has ur MPG gone up...using more fuel..this would be a clue to you having a leak

if its coming from the front and under the engine you can look at the charcoal canister...iv seen cases where they release fuel fumes when damaged

trish
15-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Hi Wiseman,
Just thought i would update you on my petrol leak....Well i followed my nose..LOL;) Just joking!!
Took my car to my local garage and just as you said it was the fuel filter, so i had it replaced and the problem seems to be resolved, so many thanks for your advise. I know where to come now in the future .

Trish

shooey88
15-05-2007, 08:59 PM
cheap easy repair....good stuff
least u didnt ignore a fuel leak and got it repaired........u have a good nose for smelling lol :biglaugh:

regard shooey