PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a problem?

redadair
13-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I own an A6 1.9 TDI SE 2003. I know virtually nothing about diesels as this is my first ( previously owned an A6 1.8 TSE). My question is, ever since owning this car when switching the ignition on ( but not turning the engine over) I can clearly hear the sound of fuel being injected at some force under the bonnet. The reason I'm writing today is that suddenly within the last week, this sound has stopped. I have no problem starting the car so do I have a problem??
:confused:

shooey88
13-05-2007, 04:48 PM
its called priming. the noise is your feul pump. you have fuel injected into the engine prior starting when you turn your ignition key. on some vehicles the fuel pump is operated by when you open the drivers door first thing. you can hear it on vw (petrol) polos do it.

redadair
13-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info, my only query is that this "priming" has always occurred everytime I start the car, that is until about a week ago. Now when I start there is silence although she does fire straight away.

shooey88
13-05-2007, 05:02 PM
i cant explain why it dosent do it all the time....maybe its temperature related
it should defo do it cold starts first thing...

no worries tho....as there should still be a sound as obviously your fuel pump still works as your cars starting....hope u liking your new car

redadair
13-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks again! I am certainly a convert to the diesel engine. My previous A6 went to a good home after covering 150k but now I get 50 mpg as apposed to 32 mpg.