PDA

View Full Version : What is standard bhp on a mk3 golf 2.0 16v gti???

ash_00_2004
13-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Iv bin having this argument with my mate for ages since i got this car, as he has the mk4 turbo 6speed, and its not as quick off the mark as my car is also mine actually is quicker after 2nd gear. But i dont know exactly what the standard bhp is on mine. I used to have a v6 vectra and that went like stink, 150mph all day everyday, pushed 157 the most i clocked, and that was very quick off the mark and my golf it has that kickback like the vectra (obviously not as quick, the vectra was 190bhp) but u can tell not AS quick as the vectra. So could anyone tell me the standard bhp of my car? Just to prove my friend wrong as i have a vague idea of what it is.

Cheers, Ash

Lex Luthor
13-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I find Parkers website is great for all that kind of thing

Col
13-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I always thought the 2.0 valver was 150bhp out of the box.

Have you had it long cos it may have been modded ?

Alun
13-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the 8v had 115bhp and the 16v had 150bhp.
Just to confirm that, click here for all the specs:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=1015&page=7

ash_00_2004
13-05-2007, 08:05 PM
nice one for that guys i knew it was 150 :D:D lol

ash_00_2004
21-05-2007, 11:25 AM
I always thought the 2.0 valver was 150bhp out of the box.

Have you had it long cos it may have been modded ?

Nah i bought it three weeks ago....it came with angel eye headlights and a tidy not too noisy scorpion backbox, apart from that the whole car is standard. Hopefully looking to chip it soon cuz 150bhpo isnt enough lol

NicholasP
21-05-2007, 08:31 PM
whats the 150 feel/sound like? Is it quick? How long does it take to get to 60?

ash_00_2004
22-05-2007, 10:23 AM
whats the 150 feel/sound like? Is it quick? How long does it take to get to 60?

it sounds nice actually, put my foot down the engine sounds lovely, like an induction kit has been installed, the feel of the engine is smooth, and it is quick to an extent, sometimes wen really hot can lag a bit but it is quick. just doesnt feel enough cuz as i sed my old car was a v6 vectra n that went like stink, so this seems slow. think 0-60 is bout 7 secs, vectra was 5ish lol

Ash

NicholasP
22-05-2007, 03:55 PM
hmm i was considering the 150 as an upgrade from my mk3 tdi...do you guys reckon ill get insured on it at 21? no points...no accidents...driving for 2 years...?

ash_00_2004
22-05-2007, 05:02 PM
hmm i was considering the 150 as an upgrade from my mk3 tdi...do you guys reckon ill get insured on it at 21? no points...no accidents...driving for 2 years...?

think mines around a grand fully comp, im 22, havent been driving long. my vectra was a group 14 and that was only 1300 fully comp so it shouldnt sting ya that much. personally tho id buy a mk4 u can get them cheap nowadays, my friend has the 180 6speed turbo one, its quick even tho i can keep up with it. i just like the dump valve sound lol. But i do like my car and was happy with th buy, for around a grand it wasnt bad and theyre quick, not too boy racerish, better than owning a slow gay lookin saxo or corsa etc. always loved golfs. up2 u. mk3 good value for money

Ash

dubwizard
28-05-2007, 04:43 AM
think mines around a grand fully comp, im 22, havent been driving long. my vectra was a group 14 and that was only 1300 fully comp so it shouldnt sting ya that much. personally tho id buy a mk4 u can get them cheap nowadays, my friend has the 180 6speed turbo one, its quick even tho i can keep up with it. i just like the dump valve sound lol. But i do like my car and was happy with th buy, for around a grand it wasnt bad and theyre quick, not too boy racerish, better than owning a slow gay lookin saxo or corsa etc. always loved golfs. up2 u. mk3 good value for money

Ash

A question you could mabye help me with?you said your mate has the 180 mk4 turbo with a dump valve in,Is this the factory dump valve?or has he put an aftermarket dump valve in?reason i ask is i want one in my 2001 150 turbo but i was told you couldnt fit i.e a bailey dv into models from 2001 or it plays havoc with the ecu and all sorts of warning lights come on?:( I am also a member of the enjoying the dump valve sound.lol.cheers dave-dubwizard.

ash_00_2004
28-05-2007, 08:02 PM
I haven't got time to ask him now as im on a fag break at work mate but wen i finish i will give him a bell and ask him. I do know that most cars with turbos these days dont have dump valves as standard, well not uprated loud sounded ones anyway. But im 100% sure that it isnt a factory one, ill ask him wat manufacture his dump valve is. His is a W-reg one, but theres quite a few round this area with dumpe valves and they range from 1999reg to an 02 reg golf turbos, so im sure ull be fine fitting it. Personally id put a blow off valve on it, the sound is better and longer, lol. or maybe a twin dump valve? they keep the turbo at its best before and after you lift the accelorator pedal rather than a single one just doing its job when you lift the pedal. tinkering needs to be done tho, but it does sound nice. hope that helps, but tommoro will deffo get back to you on that one, Theres a place here i could ask theyll deff know bout the problems that could arise with ecu ill give them a bell.

Ash

ash_00_2004
28-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Jus spoke to him, It's a Baileys dump vavle on his golf turbo, ill bell up those places 2moro n see what they reckon about urs and the ecu etc

dubwizard
28-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Jus spoke to him, It's a Baileys dump vavle on his golf turbo, ill bell up those places 2moro n see what they reckon about urs and the ecu etc

Cheers mate your a diamond!!I ordered in a bailey dv but when i took the motor up to them he said that if they were to fit it-it would send bad signals to the computer,Hope their is a way round it,much appriciated.:beerchug: cheers.

ash_00_2004
30-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Cheers mate your a diamond!!I ordered in a bailey dv but when i took the motor up to them he said that if they were to fit it-it would send bad signals to the computer,Hope their is a way round it,much appriciated.:beerchug: cheers.
Im gonna ring up my mechanic mate he knows his golfs lol watch this space

Ash

ash_00_2004
30-05-2007, 03:02 PM
its something to do with what thottle cable you have, something like that. And it does depend on the year and does effect the ecu, but it will go on. more info soon

ash_00_2004
30-05-2007, 03:07 PM
he says you'll need a "re-curt" dump valve (dnt know about spelling, thats how hes writ it in the text message) on urs as its a 2001reg, sorry i should of really found this out before u bought one! hope it helps though

Ash

dubwizard
31-05-2007, 01:01 AM
he says you'll need a "re-curt" dump valve (dnt know about spelling, thats how hes writ it in the text message) on urs as its a 2001reg, sorry i should of really found this out before u bought one! hope it helps though

Ash

Thats sound mate,I didnt buy it anyway,After he said it couldnt go on i told him to keep it,thanks for the info though,I think i will get one and have a bash at fitting it,:beerchug:

ash_00_2004
31-05-2007, 06:04 PM
No worries, anything else let me know

ash_00_2004
31-05-2007, 06:05 PM
oh p.s i cant really see from ur pic but are those the origional alloys on ur car? if not do u still have them? wouldnt mind a set on my mk3
Ash

dubwizard
31-05-2007, 08:47 PM
oh p.s i cant really see from ur pic but are those the origional alloys on ur car? if not do u still have them? wouldnt mind a set on my mk3
Ash

yeah mate,the car hasnt hasnt been touched yet,Im after some bbs alloys though,if your intrested i will give you a shout when i get new ones,the alloys on the car now dont have any marks on them,let me know,theres a closer photo below:

ash_00_2004
01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
nice one they'd look nice on mine. I'm after a set of 17" rs8's for mine, theres a seller on ebay located not far from me, first she was selling a set w/out tyres brand new at 475, then she relisted them at 375, now its relisted at 350, so im gonna stay patient n maybe if she lowers it once more ill snap em up straight away n pick em up 2 save on postage lol. Those alloys of urs do look in good nick tho. I havent really decided what im doing yet, im after a blk 3dr mk3 vr6....which i really want lol so alloys should be th last thing on my find. oh well!

Ash

dubwizard
01-06-2007, 02:10 PM
No worries,Im in the same boat,I fancy a big brake conversion but when you start to think about brakes-it leads you onto alloys!!-then lowering!!-then a bodykit!!-And you just dont stop man!i need to calm down and be realistic,I am a man with a plan though,I like to call it operation r32 (replica of course)I seen the kits on ebay for around £260 man that would suit me--yeeeeehhhaaaahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smooney
01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
you need a recerqulateing dump valve.. not to sure on my spelling

dubwizard
05-06-2007, 12:37 AM
you need a recerqulateing dump valve.. not to sure on my spelling

Ok I will need to look into it,many thanks.

ash_00_2004
05-06-2007, 05:07 PM
ight mate, iv been looking around to answer ur origional question, no what i meant in the message the other day u need a RECIRCULATING dump valve, lol everyone spells it wrong, which this basically means it keeps the turbo spinning more, and doesnt effect ur ecu, well, it does, However, most of them are 'silent' ones, they still do the job, but dont make any noise, and both me and u know that aint acceptable, lol. but anyway i was glancin thru a recent vw mag last night and i found the answer. theyre made my forge, and its a blow off variety, so its a MUCH better sound. ill just type the whole column out (and this will work and was designed for later models like urs) the column reads:

"This is the splitter, a new blow-off and recirculation valve from forge that has been specially crafted for use on the popular 1.8t engine. Performing both recirculation and the familiar blow off duties, this is a tasty bit of kit crafted from the usual high quality materials we've come to expect from forge. Retailing for £147.46 inclusive of VAT, u'll want to take a look at the website- www.forgemotorsport.co.uk or telephone 01452 380999 to order, or find out more."

Hope this helps mate. OOh by the way iv decided and had a word with the missus and she's ok'd the idea of me getting a mk4 golf 150bhp 20v turbo :D:D now what i mean by ok'd it, is that shes agreed to get a loan to pay for half of it :) good girl eh, lol shes only 18 bless her. o well gd luck