PDA

View Full Version : How do you change the oil on an Alhambra?

andy7
17-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Hello

I'm new to the forum.

I just got an Alhambra this year (1.9PD 2003) and need to do te first oil change now. I usually change the oil on my VW LT and on campers I have owned, so have a fair idea in general what to do.

But I can't get the engine cover off underneath. The problem is the two (out of six) bolts closest to the back. If I try to unscrew those the plastic flexes like it is going to break. I managed to reach in behind the cover and unscrew one of the nuts from the opposite side - but I caan't reach to do the same with the remaining nut.

How is this best done?

Any other tips for this job?

thanks a lot

STEWY L
17-01-2010, 04:04 PM
an oil sucker, their are various types available ,saves crawling around underneath.
suck the oil out through the dipstick tube.
one of the very cheap types,similar to a grease gun,is available from
Cromwell tools, for around £15.
the oil must be at operating temp though,to make it easier,
regards,
stewy.

andy7
17-01-2010, 09:49 PM
an oil sucker, their are various types available ,saves crawling around underneath.
suck the oil out through the dipstick tube.
one of the very cheap types,similar to a grease gun,is available from
Cromwell tools, for around £15.
the oil must be at operating temp though,to make it easier,
regards,
stewy.

Cheers man. Thanks for the tip - will maybe go for one of those would save me a lot of time with a few vehicles.

Actually I got the cover off in the end which is one of the most fiddly thinngs I ever did.

Next problem - I don't know where the filter goes - I've only used screw-in ones and this is all paper. I guess it goes somewhere - would you be able to tell me?

thanks

STEWY L
18-01-2010, 08:34 PM
my engine is transverse,bora 130 pd, and with the top engine cover removed,
the filter is directly opposite the bonnet catch, and has a PLASTIC screw cap on
the housing. you can get a "proper tool" to unscrew it,but i use a pair of "slip joint"pliars
with a piece of rag on the plastic cap.
if your engine is longditudinal,then your filter will be on the right side of the engine
looking from the front,
regards,
stewy.

andy7
20-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks Stewy will give it a go.