PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Starting and idleing problems!!!

species
17-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi all, i've looked through most of the threads here and cant find anyone with the same problems as i've got so i appologise if this has is a repeat of a previous post

I have a 1996 A4 2.6 V6 and have some strange problems which may all be related or may not

Let me start with Starting, every now and then it just wont start! it turns over and over, but all i get is a beeping which is not an immobilizer problem, after a few times of trying either it will start or the battery will go flat from trying. i dont know if its just a flook but sometimes if i let the car move (roll a bit) then try starting it works! ANNOYING!!!!

Idle speed is the other problem, it ticks over at about 1500rpm!! and the only time it drops from that speed is when it fluctuates between 900 and 1500 just permanently reving as if its trying to stop itself from cutting out.

Now, i'm no fool, i know its either a sensor or fueling/air flow, i was hoping that someone out there has had the same problems and can give me an idea of where to start so i don't have to pay out a huge ammount of money to be told that its the mass airflow meter AGAIN when i know its not as thats been changed

Any help on any of these problems would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Mike

chrismaher2007
18-01-2010, 12:23 PM
id say the best thing you can do is get a scan of a vagcom cable. have the same problem myself.

gave it a scan and it told me exactly what pipes to check for a split.

low and behold that exact pipe was split :D

crankshaft breather pipe needs replacing

it cost me 20 bucks on ebay and has saved me 100s since. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-409-1-KKL-VAG-COM-OBD-2-II-VW-AUDI-SKODA-SEAT-Cable_W0QQitemZ190329451002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_D iagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item2c5084f1fa)

species
22-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for The reply, i've already downloaded the software and found an after market lead thats compatible with it, just waiting for it to be delivered!!!

Crasher
22-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Who told you that the Air Mass Meter had been changed? It would be clever if it had been, the ABC engine does not have one…

species
22-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Got the Receipt From The last owner for the work. i've only had the car a fortnight and only paid her £50 for it with the problem lol

i know its gonna be a simple job to do to got it sorted and i havent even lifted the bonnet yet so i dont know what its got!! If it aint got one then she was robbed! She 'apparently' had diagnostics done and thats what it came up as, i've got her bill that she ended up paying £585 for!!!!!

Thing is, i've done all the other work for it's mot but it wont pass emissions with this problem, and yes i know i can get round it and i would if i was planning on keeping it but i want to move it on as its taking up room on my drive that i need for customers cars!!!!!!!

Crasher
22-01-2010, 03:47 PM
The last owner was lied to or they have incorrectly described a part they replaced. Send me the cars reg number by Private Message.

species
22-01-2010, 03:51 PM
N989 OYL no need to pm it!!! lol

i think she got screwed on a lot of things lokking at the history!!!

i may be an auto spark now but i started as a mech lol thats how i got it so cheap!!!

Crasher
22-01-2010, 06:08 PM
96 model with an ABC engine, no Air Mass Meter fitted. I wonder what they did fit, possibly an idle control valve. Any info on the bill?

species
22-01-2010, 06:31 PM
nothing that explains it!!

in part it says 'diagnostic test completed, results: air flow fault

then in the breakdown of the bill states Mass air flow meter replacement £148 (+vat)

i know she was robbed for everything she's had done (and she's a neighbor so dont want to take the **** too much) but i dont know what was done because whatever it was it sorted the problem temp cos she was fine with it and it ticked over normally.

fisheggs
22-01-2010, 07:02 PM
From memory, Once the battery goes flat and the engine is restarted, the throttle body needs readapting. You will get the idling problems you describe if this doesnt happen.

Not sure about the beeping noise, get a fault scan done initially.

Crasher
22-01-2010, 09:38 PM
The ABC does not have a motorised throttle body so there is no throttle body adaptation required or even possible. I think they replaced the inlet manifold mounted idle stabiliser valve. I think you should start with a fault code read to see what is stored.

The being noise on prolonged cranking is normal, it is the dash oil pressure system saying that there is insufficient oil pressure.

species
22-01-2010, 10:22 PM
thanks, what do you think about the previous reply about a split breather? i've heard about this kinda prob before down to breathers???

Crasher
23-01-2010, 12:20 AM
A split breather is common and can cause a lot of running issues. You look for splits using a leak detector spray such as VAG’s own G 001 800 A1 whilst watching Measuring Blocks 08 Group 001 looking for an engine RPM change. There isn’t much to the system, a few pipes and hoses plus the notorious suction jet pump, check all these to see if anything is split.

chrismaher2007
23-01-2010, 12:18 PM
when you get your cable off ebay id say it will reveal the problem. if you have trouble with the cable not scanning it just drop me a PM. the pc or laptop might just need configuring.

lots of people compaining they dont work but they just dont configure them properly

windws 7 is highly recomended.

davehiby
25-01-2010, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=fisheggs;466727]From memory, Once the battery goes flat and the engine is restarted, the throttle body needs readapting. You will get the idling problems you describe if this doesnt happen.

Not sure about the beeping noise, get a fault scan done initially.[/QUOTE

hi i am having similar problems an posted a thread about it yesterday.could you tell me what you do to readapt the throttle body.also on my car with the battery going flat the beeping comes from the abs warning light on the dash

Crasher
25-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Which engine code?