PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control on Sharan

warbum44
12-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Hello. Having been a Golf, then a Passat owner, I have just (gulp) bought a nearly new Sharan (growing family!)
Ive always wanted Cruise Control. The 130 TDi SE model I've bought is the standard SE edition without CC.
One VW dealer told me that Cruise Control can be retrofitted. Another VW service dept told me it could only be done on certain cars according to the ECU they were built with. If anyone has experience in this or can guide me to more advice, would be gratefully appreciated. :1zhelp:

Rallim
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Well you've answered my question and so I can answer yours. I wanted to retro fit cruise control to mine, and was of the understanding it needed a new stalk, cable to wire it into the ECU and enabling via VAG-COM. I bought a stalk and cable, found wiring diagrams and was ready to proceed. As a last check I had a look at the ECU connections and discovered that the connectors were different to the ones being shown in my wiring diagrams (diagrams for Ford Galaxy and the VW Sharan), this stalled me and I've been looking to find diagrams for my ECU, so far unsucessfully - and now reading what you have been told by a dealer about different ECU's being fitted it all seem to tie in.... bummer! :(.

Gordon.

warbum44
02-03-2006, 09:11 AM
thanks Gordon. :beerchug: bummer indeed. :mad: what seemed to happen was that salesmen and front desk people at various VW Service depts told me happily that it culd be fitted, but it was only when I said "OK lets do it" that they then came back and said "erm, sorry it doesnt seem to be possible after all". I called VW Head Office in Milton Keynes and to be honest they were useless. I just got a call-center-operative-type who quite simply didnt know what on earth I was talking about. He did his best to find out but I have no idea who he spoke to, and after several minutes he just came back to me and said "no, sorry, it can't be done".
I did wonder about trying Seat as the Alhambra is the same car. Have you done that??

Rallim
03-03-2006, 09:18 PM
No I have not looked further. Initially I had Galaxy wiring diagrams, the diagrams show two types of ECU connector, the cruise control wiring is only shown for one connector - not the one on mine :mad:. At this point I wondered if it was difference between Ford and VW so I obtained VW wiring diagrams, apart from the wiring colours they showed exactly the same as the Ford diagrams, and not my ecu connector. I stopped at this point and left it, as I was slightly cheesed, a few weeks ago there was someone on Ebay selling a stalk which he stated had fitted to a Sharan, so I sent him an email asking how he'd done it (cheeky I know), he emailed back and said he would send me details when he got chance - I'm still waiting... ;)

So maybe it might be worth talking to Seat, but I think you'll probably get the same response as vw.

I think I'm going to give it up and sell the stalk on ebay..... :(

Gordon

warbum44
04-03-2006, 09:49 AM
thanks Gordon
I'm not the kinda guy to look at wiring diagrams so I'll take your word for it. My last hope is a VW dealer in aylesbury that I rang once (altho I live nowhere near there) who said it was dependent on which ecu my car has. apparently they would connect the ecu into their computer and it will tell them straight away. perhaps when I next pass I might try them!
Mark

Rallim
04-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Well that was the other frutstrating thing, I have tried writing the code to enable cruise control with VAG-COM and it accepted it with no error... has it really worked who knows....??? :confused: well someone does but is probably sitting in a design office at VW somewhere....

Gordon.

glynnd
08-03-2006, 09:19 AM
if any of you are anywhere near Nottingham talk to Renshaw and Newsome Skoda 01159202355. They managed to fit cruise to an 03 octavia which encountered the same problems ie different connectors but they still managed it! But it doed depend on the ecu type etc:biglaugh:

28ward28
26-07-2006, 09:54 PM
I fitted cruise on my Passat the other evening and it cost nothing (I had all necessary bits around the place). I did experience problems identifying the wires as one source only would not tie up all the wires. I used an online source, Haynes and Bently CD. Eventually figured it and it worked first time - cool.

Ndabaningi
11-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Hello. Having been a Golf, then a Passat owner, I have just (gulp) bought a nearly new Sharan (growing family!)
Ive always wanted Cruise Control. The 130 TDi SE model I've bought is the standard SE edition without CC.
One VW dealer told me that Cruise Control can be retrofitted. Another VW service dept told me it could only be done on certain cars according to the ECU they were built with. If anyone has experience in this or can guide me to more advice, would be gratefully appreciated. :1zhelp:
I have looked at doing this to my new Sharan TDI.If you run the engine 2000 rpm in neutral and at the same time depress the brake pedal the engine speed will drop to appx 1200 rpm.If it does this then your vehicle is equipped with the ECU and electronic brake pedal for fitting CC.The ECU will need remapping after fitment of the correct stalk.I found a guy from Hemel Hempstead on EBAY selling the correct stalk, remap and install for £180.I dont think this a bad deal.

silverdales
12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Just had mine fitted for £180 mine is a 2007 model no problems I used
http://www.vwcruise.com/