PDA

View Full Version : VW 2.5 tdi Transporter blowing blue exhaust smoke

lyndail
13-05-2007, 12:35 PM
We have a year 2000, 120,000 km VW 2.5 tdi Transporter with a very serious smoke problem.

We get a lot of blue exhaust smoke when the engine is warming up. It lasts for 20 - 30 minutes.

The VW dealer said it could be the tunbo, but he's not sure this is the cause of the problem.

It only happens when the car is warming up, about half way between cold & normal on the temp guage and under light load. No other problems. The van seems fine when the it is hot or cold and performs perfectly at all times. It has been serviced regularly by the VW authorised agents.

The van doesn't seem to use any quantity of oil, even though the volume of smoke is extremely noticeable. We have been threatened with huge fines by the EPA if the problem is not fixed.

We would very much appreciate any ideas that anyone has before VW sends our bank account to the cleaners!!

Huweth
13-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Glow plugs? Failing injector?
You need to find a good TDI mechanic in the area.
Let the car warm up at home before you drive it, hopefully that will keep the EPA off your back.

lyndail
13-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks Huweth (what a gorgeous name). We have tried doing that. However, we have left it with VW at the moment. We took it out there a couple of weeks ago. My husband had it running idle for a while, then he drove it around the back streets for about 10 minutes and then I followed him out to the service centre which is about 30 minutes from our home, via the freeway. The smoke coming out on the way was appalling , though it was nearly gone by the time we got there. On the way I noticed it seemed to get worse with accelleration, yet going down hill there was hardly any smoke. They have removed the turbo and says it is at the point of needing major service (after only 120,000km) yet they still can't confirm that this is the cause of the problem. Lynda

lyndail
27-05-2007, 02:23 AM
VW agents removed the turbo and replaced it with a factory reconditioned one. The transporter is now working better than it has done since we bought it 3 years ago. You would think a turbo would last longer than this though.

Huweth
27-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Sheesh, thats pretty bad. I guess the seal must have blown? At least it's sorted, and thanks for letting us know.

chrisvrscrx
20-06-2007, 01:36 PM
The life of the turbo depends very much to do with how its used. When the engine is started it should be left for about 60 seconds for the oil to start lubricating the bearings and seals etc. Also when you come to turn the engine off you should leave it about 60 secs too, this is because a turbo is so hot if you just turn the engine off the oil gets baked and dries up while the turbo spins down causing premature wear to the seals and bearings. The passat I just bought had done only 86,000 miles the turbo failed big time. So if you give it a bit of TLC it should last alot longer. I just wish the previous owner of mine had.