PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please!

Alun
13-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Heres a few pics of my car in the following link. I want to know where I can go from here? I'm stuck on what to do/modify next. I'm a firm believer of less is more which is why I've kept it looking standard, although I've run out of ideas on what I can do to it.

Any ideas anyone?

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/aluntarr/?

Veedubber
13-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Nice. But yes, very standard. Well nice, though, for standard look. If you want to keep standard look, then mebbes shouldn't be doing anything else to it? Or is that a stupid thing to say? <dalek>must modify</dalek>

Flaps? Spoiler? Nice VWAudiForum sticker or two?

Alun
13-05-2007, 12:40 PM
I suppose your right in saying maybe I shouldn't be doing anything else, but I just can't help myself!

I might tempt myself with some mudflaps for the rear, a nice forum sticker for the rear window (although I'm unsure on that one), some clear side indicators and some chrome bulbs for the front indicators.

As for the spoiler though, I have toyed with the idea of putting the skirts on from a GTi, but I just don't know.:confused:

Veedubber
13-05-2007, 12:47 PM
chrome or some sort of polished door handles?

Must admit, I think I'd shy away from body kit stuff including a little spoiler, too. Please don't put one of those polished fuel cap things on.

It does look really nice as it is. I can see you standing back and looking at it saying "hhmmm, what can I add now to make it MORE standard"...

Or ooooh, maybe you need to sell it now and buy another one that you can start a new modifying on - you don't want to spoil this one now by tarting it?!

Huweth
13-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Standard look is the way forward, unless you are cleaning up the look/lines. Adding more stuff makes a car look 'busy' and Japanese. If you must keep modding, continue with the car underneath the surface. Bigger brakes, better anti-roll bars, you know what I mean.
If you do want to follow the 'less is more' theme, take off the door handles and have them filled in flush and sprayed. Take off the side trim and do the same. Personally I think it cleans up the look too much.
Nice car.

guyg
13-05-2007, 12:52 PM
It does look really nice as it is.

Agreed totally!

Why don't you just enjoy driving it - spend the dosh you would have spent on a body kit [yuk!] on a trip or weekend break somewhere nice with some good company?

Cheers

Guy

Alun
13-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Or ooooh, maybe you need to sell it now and buy another one that you can start a new modifying on - you don't want to spoil this one now by tarting it?!

Now that is the best idea I've ever heard! Don't worry I wont be chavving it up with plastic body kits and stick on stuff, that isn't my style. I was contemplating the original GTi kit because thats a standard thing on some cars, but I think I'll leave it as it is and start on the stuff you can't see as mentioned before. I wont be changing the brakes in a hurry though, I've just done that for the MOT and it was a nightmare!

I did have a brainwave of putting leather inteior in it from say a VR6, but as mines the CL model I would have to install electric windows too, and thats way out of my league.

I think I'll start cleaning up the engine bay and get that looking smart, might keep me occupied for a while!

Thanks for the comments guys, and keep the ideas coming! :beerchug:

chris555
14-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Personally I'd go for some bodywork smoothing and colour matching, I had a mk1 Golf which had a big bumper kit all blended into the wings, bumpers etc - it still looked fairly standard (not in your face) but did look very detailed and was appreciated by those in the know - if you look at my gallery pictures there is a shot of it (the green one) - i will try to post some others for you to check out

bigwint
15-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Class car mate!! I always find the best way to find inspiration is to check out ebay, the uk one can be a bit samey, so check out ebay.de . I think eshrules posted a link to some google translation program... Its worth looking and some stuff can be cheaper...

As far as mods go tho its all about finding something personal. good luck.

j

Eshrules
15-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Class car mate!! I always find the best way to find inspiration is to check out ebay, the uk one can be a bit samey, so check out ebay.de . I think eshrules posted a link to some google translation program... Its worth looking and some stuff can be cheaper...

As far as mods go tho its all about finding something personal. good luck.

j

http://www.google.com/translate_buttons?hl=en

Alun
15-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Cool! I'll check it out and see whats on offer.

Captain Answer
16-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Heres a few pics of my car in the following link. I want to know where I can go from here? I'm stuck on what to do/modify next. I'm a firm believer of less is more which is why I've kept it looking standard, although I've run out of ideas on what I can do to it.

Any ideas anyone?

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/aluntarr/?

Dragon with flames decals, Ironing board spoiler on the roof, bonnet scoop and power buldge, tape over the lights to give an eyebrow look, a stick on plastic shiny fuel cap, neons, led jetwasher lights, stealthshelf, furry bright pink interior

MalcQV
16-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Dragon with flames decals, Ironing board spoiler on the roof, bonnet scoop and power buldge, tape over the lights to give an eyebrow look, a stick on plastic shiny fuel cap, neons, led jetwasher lights, stealthshelf, furry bright pink interior

:D:D:p:p:D:D sounds good where do I start?

What's a stealthshelf?

Captain Answer
17-05-2007, 12:16 AM
:D:D:p:p:D:D sounds good where do I start?

What's a stealthshelf?

Thats where you take a cheap bit of mdf, cut holes for your kenwood 6x9's in then cover with some black cloth, foil, bubble wrap W.H.Y so that your sound system is like hidden yeh?

MalcQV
17-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Thats where you take a cheap bit of mdf, cut holes for your kenwood 6x9's in then cover with some black cloth, foil, bubble wrap W.H.Y so that your sound system is like hidden yeh?

I know what you mean now. Course we can't hear the sound system :p
Do you think it is age that makes me laugh at this stuff? I mean when I was a kid customising was the thing, though I never jacked the rear end up and shone a red light on it, it must of looked so daft to the older generation.

Captain Answer
17-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I know what you mean now. Course we can't hear the sound system :p
Do you think it is age that makes me laugh at this stuff? I mean when I was a kid customising was the thing, though I never jacked the rear end up and shone a red light on it, it must of looked so daft to the older generation.

I've had to pull over and stop because I've been crying laughing at some of the Barry Boy esq cars I've seen on the road and I'm a fashionable young man about time so NO