PDA

View Full Version : oil level check message

cueboydave
15-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I have a 2.5tdi touareg and the oil level check warning has come on the dashboard.. I have checked the level and it is correct....
could it be a faulty level sensor? I'm quite handy so I'm thinking of trying to do this myself. Where is the sensor located and is it a common problem?
Thanks

c4a5er
17-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I have a 2.5tdi touareg and the oil level check warning has come on the dashboard.. I have checked the level and it is correct....
could it be a faulty level sensor? I'm quite handy so I'm thinking of trying to do this myself. Where is the sensor located and is it a common problem?
Thanks

The oil level/temp sensor is fitted up into the sump inline with and below the oil filter.

Is the oil temp working ok?

A flashing oil level warning light indicates a fault.

If the light is on steady be certain you have checked the oil level correctly with the car level.

cueboydave
17-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the oil level and it is on the max on the dipstick. The oil temp gauge works, although seems slow to move up.
When I first start the engine, the message say check oil level, then that goes off and the amber oil can stays on the screen.

c4a5er
17-01-2010, 06:48 PM
It does seem to point to the sensor then. I don't know if they are prone to failure.

It looks easy enough to change but since the oil level is going to be up to the sensor it there might be some oil loss unless you can raise the front sufficiently to run the oil toward the back of the sump.

The engine oil does take some time to get up to temperature.

This particular forum seems to be a lonely place judging by the frequency of posts. :D Let us know how you get on. :)

cueboydave
17-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was thinking of changing the oil at the same time anyway so I will just drain it out before I change the sensor.
I can't think what else it could be as the oil level is fine and the wiring and plug on the sensor don't look damaged in any way.

dickymint
17-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Have an R5 Touareg but not experienced the trouble you have. Try www.mytreg.com (http://www.mytreg.com), you may find someone who has had a similar problem.
Best of luck with sorting it. Sorry I can't be of help.

cueboydave
23-01-2010, 09:27 PM
just an update, I have fixed this problem. It wasnt the level sensor, although I changed this! I then turn my attention to the bonnet switch as Id read these can cause problems. I found nothing wrong with it but then noticed a broken wire on the right behind the grill. It went up to the bonnet switch and then looped back on itself without actually connecting to it...?? I have no idea why it would do that but after I repaired it, everything was working! The bonnet warning hasn't worked since I had the car... now when I open the bonnet, it shows up on the dash! I should have realised this before.
After I repaired this wire and closed the bonnet, the oil level check warning disappeared! Finally!

c4a5er
24-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey, thanks for the update, who would have thought it. Glad you found the trouble, it's certainly one to remember. :approve: