PDA

View Full Version : Eos leaks - has this problem been fixed??

k6pilot
13-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Been reading all the problems with leaking and squeaking Eoses (what is the plural of Eos??) Have these problems been fixed or if I buy a new model am I likely to suffer the problems too?? :zx11: Did lubing the seals fix all the problems??

Thanks all
Chris

P.S. Just how noisy is the diesel???!

alpappy
13-05-2007, 10:38 AM
HI Still seem to be a problem with leaks etc some cars seem fien others not I am waiting for a year or so before trying to buy one
alan

alpappy
13-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Ps for the time being bought a focus cc3 NO leaks or rattlles drives well , little under powered,but would have rather had the EOS. BUt even with a jet wash..not a drop
alan

EOSmage
16-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Mine is fine. I just keep the roof seals lubed, and there are no leaks or rattles/squeaks.

I think it is all a matter of maintenance. I've performed a pressure wash test on mine and it was fine.

I, personally, wouldn't delay my purchase because of the possibility of water leaks.

Here is what you do: Put the deposit down on one, and have it brought in to your specs. When it arrives, test drive it (you will love it, I'm sure of it) and then ask them to do a lube of the roof seals. When they finish, ask for use of their car washing hose, and let a lot of water land directly on the seals around the car. Test for a few minutes on each side (just remember, a gentle water flow, not a jet-- you want to test for rain incursion, not hurricane proofing).

If it doesn't leak, you are off to the races (uhm, drive responsibly... :) ) if it does, turn it down and say you are not willing to pay for a car that leaks.

You can't lose.

:)

--Jon

Paul Hopkinson
17-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi
If you buy an eos its a gamble as to weather it leaks.
For those owners that do not have leaks or have not yet experienced them yet then fantastic, i wish with all my heart that I was one of them.
For those owners who have had problems then they know what crap service to expect from VW and the dealers.
Its no joke spending well over £20,000 and hoping that "your eos" is one of the good ones that doesn't bleeding leak.
To say that it is down to maintenace of the seals to prevent the problem of leaks is a cop out and ridiculous in this modern day and age.
Other car manufacturers can make cc type of cars that do not leak.
VW must have problems with variable build quality or all cars would leak or all would be water tight. There is no half way house on this issue.
A leak is actual proof of either bad design, wrong materials or bad build.
Or a combination of any of the these three items.

Do you really want to gamble with over £20,000 of your own money ?

Paul..

alpappy
17-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi
If you buy an eos its a gamble as to weather it leaks.
For those owners that do not have leaks or have not yet experienced them yet then fantastic, i wish with all my heart that I was one of them.
For those owners who have had problems then they know what crap service to expect from VW and the dealers.
Its no joke spending well over £20,000 and hoping that "your eos" is one of the good ones that doesn't bleeding leak.
To say that it is down to maintenace of the seals to prevent the problem of leaks is a cop out and ridiculous in this modern day and age.
Other car manufacturers can make cc type of cars that do not leak.
VW must have problems with variable build quality or all cars would leak or all would be water tight. There is no half way house on this issue.
A leak is actual proof of either bad design, wrong materials or bad build.
Or a combination of any of the these three items.

Do you really want to gamble with over £20,000 of your own money ?

Paul..

Could not agree more I spoke to dupont and they were amazed that the EOSis dependent on Krytox to not leak They have sold to all cc manufacturers but only to stop creaks and rattles but never for leaks! There is a design fault and I am happy that I managed to get my money back..Just one sight of the boot with the mould etc was enough.. come on VW get it sorted!! This hs potential to be a great car
alan

EOSmage
17-05-2007, 05:09 PM
I think it is obvious that there are some emotions involved in those last responses, funny how cars can do that to us. Basically, when the Eos was first introduced, they had major issues, and they mostly corrected this by replacing the materials used in manufacturing the seals.

In order for these new materials to work effectively, they must be kept soft and pliable just like in any car. People who don't use something like Krytox on their seals regularly are the ones that complain about their car leaking in a few years; I should point out that many dealerships include seal lubrication in their regular maintenance process.

With the Eos (and other convertibles) seal maintenance is really important because there are so many more seals than on a "normal" car.

Lets turn back the clocks a little. My first convertible, a 1975 Alfa Romeo Spider, was a great car. It was a manual top, and required seal maintenance regularly. In fact, the engine's service recommendation was for every 4000km. That included a major roof maintenance. Even after maintenance, it still leaked. Thankfully, technology has improved a lot since then.

So, maintenance cycles have moved from 4000km due to this improved technology, and the VW now requires an 8000km cycle. That is a good thing for us. But, the seals, even with the newer materials and technology, still need regular maintenance to remain soft and effective. This contributes to the problem since the car doesn't get into the dealership often enough to get lubed properly-- especially on those cars that don't do large mileage.

My Honda's seals are the same. So are my friend's Porsche. If he leaves his top without lube for 8000km, it leaks just like the VW ones do. He actually learned of Krytox from me, and was amazed by what a difference it made to the leaks and to the rattles too.

So, we have two issues that sparked the "oh my, these things leak so bad" syndrome. First, the original seals were not effective; that is why they were changed (my kudos to VW for recognizing the problem and dealing with it). Second, dealerships were not including the lube process in their pre-delivery process. The car was made. Sat in a lot waiting for delivery. Sat on a ship during delivery. Sat at the dock awaiting clearance. Sat in the dealership waiting for the inspection process. Then sat again waiting for you to pick it up. This process could be months. THAT is why the seals are not working properly. Because they DO require lubrication in order to be effective-- as to all seals in any car.

Your next rebuttal is probably going to be "well, my other cars never needed seal maintenance and they don't leak". That is probably not exactly true. Seals around doors and trunks usually have a second line of defense in case some leakage occurs. Drain spots, etc. A "normal" car doesn't have seals sitting above your head.

Maintenance for cars with sunroofs usually include seal lubrication and maintenance for the sunroof. It is a "high visibility" item where leaks are noticed because water falls on your head.

Before you tear apart the Eos for being defective, I think it is important to do your research. Many of the original complaints were made by people who had the "first off the line" cars, and dealerships just didn't know enough about the car to deal with this issue properly-- they made intrusive changes designed to fix the problem but made it worse (this happens with ANY brand new product due to first time problems). Some were due to factory mistakes-- but all car companies have issues like that.

The owner complaints about leaking Eos cars are starting to die off now; most of the current threads on the subject are by people who are, like the OP here, thinking of buying one and want to know about the problem.

The Eos is FAR less money than any car that can compare to it. Although there aren't too many with a sunroof/convertible that have a breakthrough transmission within the price point that this car sits at. If you are thinking about buying an Eos, but have some new-car-worries that you want answered, then go to your local dealer and talk with the Eos expert (not the sales person, but the service one). Tell him that you like the car, and that you have heard of issues with it leaking, etc. Ask him what training he has had on the car, and how they go about dealing with these types of problems.

Most importantly, build a relationship with him. Then you will know that your issues will be taken care of by someone that understands the car. I strongly doubt that you will have issues. I've spoken to far more Eos owners that are having trouble free driving and enjoyment than otherwise.

Basically, everyone here is absolutely right. When you buy a product, you are risking your money. That is true for any products that you buy, from a pack of gum up to a new house. You can risk your 20000 pounds on a VW Eos that is most likely going to be a great car with no issues other than the occasional seal maintenance, OR, you can spend 30000 pounds on some of the other branded cars and have them perform the roof maintenance for you during your regular maintenance... Some people opted to wait for a year or two until the Eos has a little more history behind it-- I decided that I'd rather enjoy driving it now, and I am personally glad that I did.

Would I have bought the 60000 pound high-end car? Yes, if I could justify spending that much on a car. Am I happy with the Eos? Absolutely. I'm actually spending our upcoming long-weekend going on an EDA! (Eos Driving Adventure).

Take care, and let us know what you decide!

Off Topic Note: I was trying to keep personal emotions out of this post. I'm hoping that I achieved a calm debate that shows the "other side". I know, in my heart, that I'm an Eos owner; I love the car and have nothing bad to say about it. I probably wasn't successful, since we are all emotional bags-of-water. ;) Now, don't get me started on the Ford Explorer Tranny Issues. ;)

Paul Hopkinson
18-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I think it is obvious that there are some emotions involved in those last responses, funny how cars can do that to us. Basically, when the Eos was first introduced, they had major issues, and they mostly corrected this by replacing the materials used in manufacturing the seals.

In order for these new materials to work effectively, they must be kept soft and pliable just like in any car. People who don't use something like Krytox on their seals regularly are the ones that complain about their car leaking in a few years; I should point out that many dealerships include seal lubrication in their regular maintenance process.

With the Eos (and other convertibles) seal maintenance is really important because there are so many more seals than on a "normal" car.

Lets turn back the clocks a little. My first convertible, a 1975 Alfa Romeo Spider, was a great car. It was a manual top, and required seal maintenance regularly. In fact, the engine's service recommendation was for every 4000km. That included a major roof maintenance. Even after maintenance, it still leaked. Thankfully, technology has improved a lot since then.

So, maintenance cycles have moved from 4000km due to this improved technology, and the VW now requires an 8000km cycle. That is a good thing for us. But, the seals, even with the newer materials and technology, still need regular maintenance to remain soft and effective. This contributes to the problem since the car doesn't get into the dealership often enough to get lubed properly-- especially on those cars that don't do large mileage.

My Honda's seals are the same. So are my friend's Porsche. If he leaves his top without lube for 8000km, it leaks just like the VW ones do. He actually learned of Krytox from me, and was amazed by what a difference it made to the leaks and to the rattles too.

So, we have two issues that sparked the "oh my, these things leak so bad" syndrome. First, the original seals were not effective; that is why they were changed (my kudos to VW for recognizing the problem and dealing with it). Second, dealerships were not including the lube process in their pre-delivery process. The car was made. Sat in a lot waiting for delivery. Sat on a ship during delivery. Sat at the dock awaiting clearance. Sat in the dealership waiting for the inspection process. Then sat again waiting for you to pick it up. This process could be months. THAT is why the seals are not working properly. Because they DO require lubrication in order to be effective-- as to all seals in any car.

Your next rebuttal is probably going to be "well, my other cars never needed seal maintenance and they don't leak". That is probably not exactly true. Seals around doors and trunks usually have a second line of defense in case some leakage occurs. Drain spots, etc. A "normal" car doesn't have seals sitting above your head.

Maintenance for cars with sunroofs usually include seal lubrication and maintenance for the sunroof. It is a "high visibility" item where leaks are noticed because water falls on your head.

Before you tear apart the Eos for being defective, I think it is important to do your research. Many of the original complaints were made by people who had the "first off the line" cars, and dealerships just didn't know enough about the car to deal with this issue properly-- they made intrusive changes designed to fix the problem but made it worse (this happens with ANY brand new product due to first time problems). Some were due to factory mistakes-- but all car companies have issues like that.

The owner complaints about leaking Eos cars are starting to die off now; most of the current threads on the subject are by people who are, like the OP here, thinking of buying one and want to know about the problem.

The Eos is FAR less money than any car that can compare to it. Although there aren't too many with a sunroof/convertible that have a breakthrough transmission within the price point that this car sits at. If you are thinking about buying an Eos, but have some new-car-worries that you want answered, then go to your local dealer and talk with the Eos expert (not the sales person, but the service one). Tell him that you like the car, and that you have heard of issues with it leaking, etc. Ask him what training he has had on the car, and how they go about dealing with these types of problems.

Most importantly, build a relationship with him. Then you will know that your issues will be taken care of by someone that understands the car. I strongly doubt that you will have issues. I've spoken to far more Eos owners that are having trouble free driving and enjoyment than otherwise.

Basically, everyone here is absolutely right. When you buy a product, you are risking your money. That is true for any products that you buy, from a pack of gum up to a new house. You can risk your 20000 pounds on a VW Eos that is most likely going to be a great car with no issues other than the occasional seal maintenance, OR, you can spend 30000 pounds on some of the other branded cars and have them perform the roof maintenance for you during your regular maintenance... Some people opted to wait for a year or two until the Eos has a little more history behind it-- I decided that I'd rather enjoy driving it now, and I am personally glad that I did.

Would I have bought the 60000 pound high-end car? Yes, if I could justify spending that much on a car. Am I happy with the Eos? Absolutely. I'm actually spending our upcoming long-weekend going on an EDA! (Eos Driving Adventure).

Take care, and let us know what you decide!

Off Topic Note: I was trying to keep personal emotions out of this post. I'm hoping that I achieved a calm debate that shows the "other side". I know, in my heart, that I'm an Eos owner; I love the car and have nothing bad to say about it. I probably wasn't successful, since we are all emotional bags-of-water. ;) Now, don't get me started on the Ford Explorer Tranny Issues. ;)

I don't deny that I feel emotional about my response.
When you have spent £26,000 on a car, which then turns out to have problems and then you are faced with dealers and a manufacturer who do as little as possible to sort things out then it sure does get emotional.

You say that "when the Eos was first introduced then there was major issues which were corrected by replacing the materials used in manufacturing the seals"
Does this only apply to new build cars ?
What about those of us who have early VIN numbered cars ?
My Vin is Lower than 1500, which would imply that it is an early Eos and was registered last September.
Don't you think that VW should contact all early model owners and replace the seals with the newer water tight versions ?
VW or my dealer will not acknowledge that there is or have been faults with the seals to me.
I don't want to reject my car, all I want is a car that doesn't leak.

Seal maintenance. I love this bit. My original owners booklet 3.2,only very loosely refers to seal maintenance. There is no mention of what to use, when to use it or how to use it.
Another pal with a newer Eos has a newer issue manual with more specific instructions, which presumably were released when the cars started to arrive with the upgraded seals. I do not know this as a fact but it seems likely.
I asked my dealer for a copy of this, which arrived 6 weeks later.

In it it says to lubricate the seals after every wash !
Well considering that I try to wash my car every week or at the latest every two weeks, then this would imply that I have to lubricate the seals 26 times a year.
Now that is not what I call progress.
When I have applied the lubrication myself, then to do it properly it took between 3 and 4 hours.
If I had known that lets say fortnightly roof maint was essential at the time of ordering the car, then I would have reconsidered whether to buy.

I too have had older cars with manual operated vinyl roofs, which required no maintenance and did not leak.
My 1972 Triumph Spitfire had an engine that drunk oil as if it was going out of fashion but the roof was water tight.
I ahve friends, realatives and work colleagues with cc's and vinyl topped cars but none have the same leaky roof problems as my Eos and no one is considering changing to an eos.

The Dealer. I only want to see my dealer once a year when my car goes in for an anual service. I have no desire to build a relationship with them. I do not want to know every individual by their first name.
The Eos Expert. Do you really think that this person who is employed by the dealer he is going to give an impartial opinion of the Eos. He is going to tell you want you want to hear, that it is all nonesence and that they do not leak.

If we all waited two years when a new car is released before buying one, then how would the dealers and manufacturers cope/survive ?
We dont wait, we trust that we are buying a product that at least has had some sort of testing at the design and manufacturing stages and if there are problems we rely on the dealers and manufactureres to put things right.

I have said it before, the fact that there are problems does not really surprise me, but the response of the dealers and manufacturers is inadeqate.

With hindsight, then I regret the day that I walked into my VW dealers.
One of the ironic things is that my wife loves Vauxhalls and she prefered the Astra CC, but I convinced her that the Eos was better looking (no contest, and she reluctantly agreed) but I also told her that the VW was better built and would be more reliable ! Egg on Face or what !

My recomendation to any one who wants an Eos is that after considering all the plus point and negative points then if you want to hope that your new Eos will be ok, then do not buy one but lease one.
In your lease contract then make sure there is a clause that allows you to terminate the lease with as litlte financial penalty as possible. That way if your eos turns out to be a load of hassle then you can walk away with as little loss as possible.

Paul

hitachizx
19-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Does any body know where i can purchase this Krytox from as my dealer wants over £40.00 for a bottle of their lubricant which is no bigger the a nail varnish bottle. Did not even want to give me one, i only spent £27,000.00 with them. There attitude stinks.:zx11:

Paul Hopkinson
21-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Does any body know where i can purchase this Krytox from as my dealer wants over £40.00 for a bottle of their lubricant which is no bigger the a nail varnish bottle. Did not even want to give me one, i only spent £27,000.00 with them. There attitude stinks.:zx11:

Hi
Send an email to sales@gbrtech.co.uk The following was their reply to me a few months back.

I ordered one morning and it arrived next day.

"Thank you for your enquiry for Krytox anti-squeak products. Prices are as follows :- GPL 105 oil in 30ml applicator bottle - GB£16.00
ea, GPL205 grease in a 2oz tube - GB£16.50ea and UL5 in 100ml spray can
(GPL105 with a carrier gas) - GB£8.30 ea.All prices excl VAT. Minimum order
value is GB£30.00. Carriage charges for grease/ oil is GB£3.50. If UL5
included then we must use a carrier instead of post then cost is GB£9.00. If
you need further info call us on 0118 982 0567."

Paul..

netherfield
22-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Have they cured the leaks, no way, our car is worse after attention from the dealer, all new roof seals fitted, would you expect to pay £21k+ to get a wet drivers seat.

colb666
08-06-2007, 10:20 AM
This my first visit to this forum and having read through this thread with interest....I believe all Eos's that came into the UK since March have the updated seals fitted?

My wifes car has had no issues with leaks whatsoever since she took delivery a couple of months ago.Its been jet washed etc and we've had no problems....I think anyone who's car has been back to the dealer for leak problems and have had revised seals fitted really need to question the workmanship of the dealer who carried out the work?

EOSmage
08-06-2007, 07:46 PM
. . .I think anyone who's car has been back to the dealer for leak problems and have had revised seals fitted really need to question the workmanship of the dealer who carried out the work?

I agree 100% since our Eos has never had a leak problem at all. I've pressure washed it at home specifically trying to find out when the seals would give out and they held true. The only water I got in the car was during that test, and my Honda and Ford also had the same water failures at close to the same point during my testing.

It is a shame that many other's experience with the Eos is anything but the joy ours has been. I think that it is a question of the dealers not doing the updates correctly.

All that being said, if I'd had lots of problems with the car from the beginning, I'm sure I'd be handing it back and driving something from another manufacturer. "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice..."

Maybe that statement should be applied to the dealerships that have worked on the car, rather than the car manufacturer itself. I strongly believe that dealerships can offer vastly different levels of knowledge and service.

just my thoughts... :)

k6pilot
08-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Well I get a 2.0TDI to test drive for 48 hours in 2 weeks time...hose pipe ready to roll...where should I aim the water to see if the new seals really work??

Chris

colb666
08-06-2007, 09:02 PM
All the roof seals,and to add to my comments about the Eos,we traded in a 2005 A4 cabriolet for it and we both agree that the Eos is a far better or equal car than the A4 in all areas.

EOSmage
12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Well I get a 2.0TDI to test drive for 48 hours in 2 weeks time...hose pipe ready to roll...where should I aim the water to see if the new seals really work??

Hello Chris:

First, start by taking off any attachments from the hose and just use the regular water pressure to test the seals. Point the hose upwards at an angle and let the water arc and fall onto the seals. Places to test are along the roof above the front window and along the doors. Also, on the seam between the two side windows. Make sure to test above the side mirrors as there is a lot of "seal surface area" in behind them. Finally, take the hose around the back and test the seals above the rear window against the roof and against the trunk.

Remember that the car is designed to have rain and wind hit it from the front at fairly high speeds, but it isn't designed to take high pressure water from the back. So, if you want to start testing the "monsoon" version by adding high pressure nozzles to your hose, then make sure your tests are realistic. If you shoot a high pressure jet at the seal aiming towards the front of the car, shooting the small side window and aiming towards the door window, there will be water incursion into the cabin. It was never designed for that.

So, as long as you take the design, driving directions, and the fact that nature doesn't shoot water at 1400 psi from the back of the car forward, then your tests will, I'm confident, show you how good a job those seals do.

NOTE: There are several threads on how to maintain the seals in the Eos using the VW brand lubricant. It is really really really important that all the seals are lubricated properly or the seals will fail to function properly. I should also point out that I put the lubricant on the car once every 3 or 4 months-- but I wash the car so much that I'm probably needing it more than most. :)

Good luck with your test drive, I hope you find the car as much fun as my wife and I do...

:beerchug:

Jon

trisha
08-11-2007, 07:54 PM
my beautiful eos 2.0 dsg diesel has leaked since i got it in january after waiting almost a year with baited breath, it has been in to dealers numberous times and i was simply getting nowhere, still the slightest rain and in it came. They replaced the seals etc and kept fobbing me off. then the last time it went in they coulnt find the problem it was water tested over the weeks they had it but said no water came in. i really didnt want this car back and told them so, but was told it had to be delivered to me to get it off site! so i then involved my solicitor and took the car back but refused to sign the delivery note. Then yesterday the dealer sent me a letter offering £20.000 for my hardly used eos (in black with sat nav plus 6cd player i think i paid £24. something for it so it is a big loss especially as it has been down at the dealers so often and for so long.

i really dont want to accept their offer but its causing me some grief when i see my pension being driven by my partner as i really hate the blooming thing.

Anyone out there that can help before i totally crack up, (Just hoping it pours down tonight and i am not made out to be a liar, or as it was put all in my imagination):zx11:

pjgraham86
10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Trisha

I have an Eos from January 07 too and it still leaks - see my earlier posts. I had the car at the dealer for 6 weeks in Sept/Oct and they fitted new seals but it has made no difference.

Yesterday I had an independent engineer inspect the car after I hosed it and he confirmed that it leaks and where it was coming from. I am now waiting for his report and if it says what I think it will say then I will be rejecting the car.

I'd be surprised if your solicitor (I am one too!) did not advise you to consider rejecting the car and demand your money back, altho' obviously I don't know the details of your case and there's no guarantee of success, as you may end up needing to sue them - maybe worth speaking to your solicitor again.

VW Customer Care also told me that they would assist customers in rejecting within the first 12 months. I've been told (altho' I can't verify this) that dealers will be compensated by VW for cars they make a loss on following rejection.

I'll keep you posted as to how I get on - maybe you could do the same.

Lastly, I'm hoping that the leak issues have been resolved as I'd love to re-order an Eos if I could be sure it would not leak.

P

netherfield
19-12-2007, 08:35 PM
We have had a new one since 1st sep 07 it does not leak,but still steams up inside badly.

jonthebarber
20-12-2007, 01:15 AM
My steams up . Lift both the front mats up ...... Soaked carpet ! Check yours . Been with dealer for 5 1/2 weeks now .

colin s
13-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi,
Which specific Krytox product should be used? I see mention of grease, oil, spray...
Thanks

Teflon
15-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm amazed that such a super car causes so much unhappiness because of leaks. My own experience suggests that the problems are now all cured, but like all convertibles, the EOS needs some TLC.

We got ours in May 2007, which is after the date at which they supposedly did a re-design of all the seals. It is absolutely watertight, even last week when it was standing outside in very, very, heavy, driving rain.

However, it is garaged overnight so never sees the worst of the cold weather and frost. I am sure that this is a big factor in helping keep it watertight. It is not a car that I would be confident to leave outside in the depths of winter - 75% of the saloons I have owned have leaked after a few years of bitter cold nights. It also gets hand washed and the roof is dropped to wipe down the seals, so we are giving it all the help it needs to stay in good condition.

On the downside, we had 6 visits to the dealer for roof clonks and buzzing trim. The quality of dealer competence is shocking, but VW UK were fantastic as soon as I started waving the big stick.

Summary - no reason now not to buy an EOS. When you get it, turn the hosepipe on it. Also make sure you find a dealer with a "proper" EOS expert, not just some kiddie who has been on the two day training course.

feeb09
19-01-2008, 11:01 PM
We bought our EOS in October 06 and we are still having trouble with the roof leaking. Infact it has been in the garage all week only to be told on Thursday they dont have the parts to fix it so we will have to take it back again this will be for the 7th time since we have had the car (not always for the leaks but for other problems eg squeaking, a rubber connection had a hole which caused the turbo to stop working ) I love driving it but the boot is unusable at the moment because it is so wet. the carpets are curling up and it take for ever to demist the car which I assume is due to it being so damp. Really sad

feeb09
19-01-2008, 11:11 PM
we bought our EOS in Oct 06 and have had numerous problems with the roof. e.gi Squeeking and leaking. We have also had a problem with a rubber connector to the turbo which had a hole and greatly affected the performance. The car has been back to the garage 7 times now and I think it is about time they raplaced it as it seems impossible to fix. Has anyone been successful in getting their faulty car replaced and if so how did you do it? :1zhelp:

jonthebarber
20-01-2008, 12:31 AM
10 weeks on monday . that was the last time i saw my Eos !!! On the bright side , after running around in a 1.0 polo for 4 weeks they lent us a brand new diesel v6 tourag . Me like ! :p Anyway Car gone to Milton keynes , so i was told last thursday . Dunno when i will see it again .They have had it longer than i have had it !!!

Peter's Eos
22-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Been reading all the problems with leaking and squeaking Eoses (what is the plural of Eos??) Have these problems been fixed or if I buy a new model am I likely to suffer the problems too?? :zx11: Did lubing the seals fix all the problems??

Thanks all
Chris

P.S. Just how noisy is the diesel???!

Hi;

I have just got a new Eos Two weeks ago and have had a lot of rain down here in Melbourne (Australia) and no sign of water leaks at all.:beerchug:
I have opened the roof about 5 times when i can to show people how it works etc.

But one thing i find is that when you open the door you get drops of water on the seat from the door arch .

Also I have the diesel ( My first) and do not find the noise issue a problem at all.:D

netherfield
22-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Since the car was swapped no problems with leaks,the most annoying thing now is,if it has rained and you open the door a flood of water appears off the sill,wet feet possible.

Also if you are in the car when raining,pull the ignition key and the windows drop slightly and water runs on your leg.

kitenski
06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Morning all,

I'm looking into getting an EOS or maybe a 1 series convertible.

Reading the user reviews on What Car and the EOS gets a slating even from recent owners regarding water leaks.

There is also mention on there of a new roof seal, which supposedly helps.

However some of the comments regarding leaks are very recent.

So 2 questions...

1. How bad are the water leaks, is it a common issue?
2. Was there a roof seal redesign, and if so when was it done?

Comments are here:

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-...RT=851&ED=&U=0 (http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=851&ED=&U=0)

Thanks alot,

Greg

colb666
06-10-2008, 04:33 PM
My wife had her Eos from March 07 and for the first year it didn't have any problems,then the roof leaked into the boot.The dealer took it in and within a week had it back with revised seals fitted and all was well again for a month or so then the same issue again.Again fixed and a few months later it happened again.

So with these issues and also me having some QC issues with my Mk5 Golf we bit the bullet and sold both cars and bought a 3 series(E93)convertible and an 5 series(E61)touring.We lost 14k on the Eos in the 11k miles and 18 months of ownership and 6k in 10 months with the Golf.

To say I'm dissapointed in the cars is a vast understatement,VW QC at the moment is far from good and it'll be a long while before we buy one of their products again.

The Eos was a 2.0tdi Sport with every option and was a lovely looking car and a really good drive but,the build quality let it down big style.So I'd buy something else that takes your fancy rather than an Eos.

netherfield
07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Our Eos which was 12 months old on 1st Sep has not leaked,other than the problems mentioned in my post above,sometimes there is a damp smell in the car but this soon goes away,we have decided to keep this car to 3 year old and then look at something else.

Probably not a cabriolet though,realistically there are not enough good days in this country to enjoy the top down,and the boot space is poor when it is.

platinum70
11-11-2008, 09:26 AM
My wife's car is off to our local garage in Guildford today for leaking problems. The car was registered Nov 07 so I assume it has the roof seal mod.

The boot is very wet at present and I am just so glad I looked on here before going in today. At least now I am going 'informed'.

Design does seem to be a big part of the issue. When you lift the boot water runs and drips into the boot each side. When you open the doors the water drips and runs into the car. The same happens when you open the roof or just the sunroof.

The car smells damp and the boot is virtually unusable. I just hope we don't suffer like some seem to have done on here. I do hope this gets resolved as my wife is rapidly going off the car, meaning it may have to go.

kitenski
11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
From what I've read I'd get the garage to apply the VW lubricant to the seals, as per the VW tech bulletin, details here (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3484059)

platinum70
22-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Well got the back at last and I must say the service at VW in Guildford was excellent. They have replaced every seal around the boot and roof and fingers crossed it seems o.k. They thoroughly tested the car and were happy it was sorted. They did find that the side member seals had not been fitted correctly (factory fault) and this was also rectified.

Poopedmummy
25-02-2009, 03:12 PM
My signature says it all! Saves me repeating myself. Soooo fed up :1zhelp:

netherfield
25-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Finally solved the Eos problem, Sold the darned thing,just pity the next mug who buys it.

Poopedmummy
25-02-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm seriously thinking about doing the same when I finally get it back! Trouble is I'd be taking such a hit on the price!!! I just don't have faith that the problem will be properly resolved as there as so many people with recurring problems.

netherfield
25-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Had we not had this car exchanged by VW then yes the loss would have been eye watering,because it was swapped we theorectically had a car for a year at no cost,we have lost £8,500 in two and a half years instead of 18 months.

onzarob
25-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I understand your frustration, but the carpet are so thick and it hard to drive out the wet, you will notice more condinsation now as the weather warms as this will help the car to dry out.

I have experience as my latest car was Flood damaged, I got the carpet dried in a spray booth after washing it. the seats are still a bit wet after 3 weeks, But I sure it will get there once the warmer weather comes.

Once you've had a good week of warm weather see if its better then, they may have sove the leak, just need a bit more time to dry ;)

Poopedmummy
27-02-2009, 09:50 AM
My car doesn't need to dry out - it is completely stripped out at the moment and has been for about a month so far. It will remain stripped out until early April (I hope) when the part is expected at which point the carpets & underlay are being replaced when the repairs are made.

I changed my Polo for a Passat yesterday which is a bit nicer! They also offered a payment for "exceptional circumstances" of £200.

Fingers crossed that "the part" isn't delayed again - as originally I was told it was expected mid-February!

***Heavy sigh***...

onzarob
27-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow, that sounds like a right ordeal. I suppose you should have it back for the warmer weather.? Sounds like the dealer is looking after you, which is good.

Rob:D

platinum70
27-02-2009, 07:26 PM
My wife's car has been back again as another leak occured - this time into the rear footwells. Whole of the car stripped out - seats, everything. Underlay felt and carpet replaced, along with every seal possible. Took about a week to do.

Again VW at Guildford were superb and it seems to be o.k. Only trouble is my wife has fallen out of love (for want of a better word) with the car and I can see it going!

Poopedmummy
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Well...got my car back yesterday - so that's 12 weeks in all. Seals replaced were front screen, rear screen and upper boot - along with replacement carpet, underlay and mats.

Was feeling quite excited at the prospect of getting it back but having driven it - I dunno - I just don't feel the same about it anymore.

I'm hoping that I'll get the chance to have the roof down this pm - might help to change the way I feel :aargh4:

x

netherfield
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Know how you feel,my wife has fallen out of love with the car,just waiting for a Golf to replace it.

Poopedmummy
08-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Oh dear! Have you part exchanged or sold the Eos privately? Mine is an 07 plate - only had it for a year (and 1/4 of that time it was in the garage!!). I think I'll take a look and see what I'm likely to get for it.

I don't think I'll go for another VW - more likely BMW I think.

x

netherfield
08-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Current car is 18 months old,the trade in price would be quite frightening for that age,but as the car was exchanged after 12 months,all at VWs expense,that includes swapping plates and another 12 months road tax.

In effect to us the car is 30 months old so now the trade in price does not seem so bad.
,on top of which there are some reasonable discounts available and we got it ordered before the latest price increase.

We lost about £7000 over the period.

bobrocket
19-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I gave up! I fell out of love with my Eos. Continuous complaining to VW Uk and the dealership, resulted in me swapping it after nearly 2 years for a brand new tiguan 2.0Tdi se. I only had to pay £1500! Be pushy and be hard with VW! They are taking the mic! BIG TIME with this car! They just put my old car back on the forecourt for some other poor soul!

I have had the Tiguan for nearly a year, and ok, its not a cabriolet, but the sun doesn't get in my eyes as much, my boot doesn't leak (many of my possessions were ruined in the Eos!) and I am happy once again! A fabulous car!

Poopedmummy
20-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi there

All seems well with the car, so far. The paintwork on the boot lid was damaged whilst it was in the garage and they sent a paint specialist to my house on Friday to deal with it but he said he needed to go into the body shop for the whole boot lid to be resprayed due to the location of the chip. So, it's booked in for next week!

Fingers crossed that this will be an end to it!

x

kimp
24-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I got mine 2nd hand in March from a main dealer. It's fine normally but when wet I find water leaks just when I unlock the door. I've taken it back and been told that I need to lube the seals. Surely this should have been done as part of the pre-purchase?

Poopedmummy
31-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Now my boot is full of water! When will this ever end?

Fed up!!

x

netherfield
31-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Ring VW at Milton Kenyes and say you reject the car,it's the only way to get any sensible solution.

We are glad to see the back of ours to be honest.

alski
17-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Is there any update on the leaky roof question with the Eos. Am thinking of getting a used ('57 plate) one but am concerned about this. Obvioulsy I would do a pre purchase car wash test and of course would come with 12 month warranty.

Are there any owners out there without leaky roofs ?

hitachizx
17-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I gave up trying to get mine fixed a long time ago, bought it for the wife new christmas 2007 by the june of that year it was gone, changed for a Golf Edition 30, i am quiet close to the dealer and they finally admitted to me 6 months after i had got rid of it that early cars had problems, but this had been sorted with a modified seal. this spoilt an otherwise really great car. She is driving around in a new Scirocco 2.0 GT now and wont part with that for anything. I wouldnt be put of by these early issues go for it and enjoy the summer with the wind in your hair,

alski
17-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I gave up trying to get mine fixed a long time ago, bought it for the wife new christmas 2007 by the june of that year it was gone, changed for a Golf Edition 30, i am quiet close to the dealer and they finally admitted to me 6 months after i had got rid of it that early cars had problems, but this had been sorted with a modified seal. this spoilt an otherwise really great car. She is driving around in a new Scirocco 2.0 GT now and wont part with that for anything. I wouldnt be put of by these early issues go for it and enjoy the summer with the wind in your hair,

But how early are the 'early issues', and after what kind of build date should I be looking at ?

pjgraham86
18-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi,

I had two leaky Eos' - one was a very early (06) TDI and the replacement was a Jan 07 plate 2.0 TFSI. They both leaked in the same place (small ledge behind the driver's door). I got a full refund when I finally rejected the second one after 10 months of attempted fixes.

I am not in a position to say whether the later cars are sorted but I would certainly avoid 06 and 07 year models.

I now drive a Merc SLK 350 which is very nice but I still miss the Eos despite the leaks - great looking car and the DSG box in the 2.0 turbo was a beauty.

Happy Eos hunting !

P

WOT
27-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Dont buy an Eos. They will ALWAYS leak. The level of seal care that would be required to keep them dry would far outway the enjoyment.

Teflon
28-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Dont buy an Eos. They will ALWAYS leak. The level of seal care that would be required to keep them dry would far outway the enjoyment.
Clearly a well thought out and reasoned arguement. If only the wife's wasn't perfectly free of leaks after 3 years, you would of course be absolutely right. There are some obvious tips that I can offer:

Don't expect miracles if you are going to leave any convertable outside in the worst of the winter weather. Garage it at night when there is risk of snow or frost, otherwise you are asking for trouble eventually. If you don't have a garage, buy a Focus.

The change of seals happened sometime in 2007. The wife's May 2007 Eos has the new version and is okay, despite never seeing a drop of Krytox other than at service time.

It's not just about lubrication, make sure that when you wash the car you then drop the roof and wipe the seals and the mating surfaces down. Takes 2 minutes.

If you have ANY roof problems, don't expect your local dealer to fix them. Get in touch with VW head office in Milton Keynes, not the bozos at the call centre in Sheffield. Our problem was an annoying squeak, solved by VW UK after 6 visits to our hopeless local dealer. They just are not set up to deal with the folding roof properly.

jc_sharan
25-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Hello,

I own a 07 unit (top, tdi version, paprika red) and since then, never had a leak issue on it!!! My car "sleeps" in a garage but leaves it every day and it's used as my daily car. I had some rattles solved by me (Krytox and remove/ad shimms on the C-segment) but almost nothing more than this...I have already almost 90000kms on it and the only real problem I had was a "dead" Xenon light!!!

I love this car and I want to keep it with me!!!

Cheers!:beerchug:
JC

WOT
28-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Clearly a well thought out and reasoned arguement. If only the wife's wasn't perfectly free of leaks after 3 years, you would of course be absolutely right.

I base my argument on the fact that the final step in repairing an Eos after all the seals have been replaced and all fine adjustments made is to fit a drain valve in the spare wheel well. Then explain to the customer that water will run into the boot and past the side windows onto the SMS flaps and that it is to be expected. :tup:

harltech
01-03-2011, 09:46 PM
I am trained to work on the EOS roofs for my local dealer and have worked on them since they came out. Im affraid it seems to be luck of the draw with these cars. Some go out and come back with problem after problem and others you see them for there annual service and they have no issues.

Best way is to go test drive and listen for squeaks and ask the salesman to have the car water tested or washed while you sit in it and look for leaks.

I also find that 'saddle soap' works best on the seals, not the expensive stuff from VW.