PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Coil pack, Plugs or what???

FusionReload
14-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi,

I have a 2003 A4 2.0 FSI. About a month ago I had a misfire which with the aid of VAG-COM i diagnosed to be in cylinder 3. I promptly replaced the coil pack and all was well again.

Today however on driving to work I got a ESP and EPC warning lights and noticed that the car had started mis-firing.. When re-starting the car after work the ESP and EPC lights didnt come back on but the mis-fire seemed worse, at this point the engine management light started flashing.

I limped home and got the VAG-COM on it and it reported the following faults:

5 Faults Found:
16955 - Brake Switch (F): Implausible Signal
P0571 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16698 - Misfire(s) Detected: Single (unspecified) Cylinder
P0314 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
18047 - Accelerator Position Sensor 1/2 (G79/G185): Implausible Signal
P1639 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

I cleared the faults and went on another drive. The mis-fire was still present so re-connected the VAG-COM and now i have the following faults:

3 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16698 - Misfire(s) Detected: Single (unspecified) Cylinder
P0314 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

Would this just be a coil-pack issue? i cant remeber but i believe the last time the coil pack went I only had the one code. Reading this forum It appears it could be anything from coil packs to plugs etc etc.

Should I try replacing the plugs or moving the coil packs around? Or take it straight down the garage?

Any help greatly appreciated.....

benjie
14-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Just an idea, but a friend had the "Random/Multiple Misfire" and "Misfire on Cylinder 5" in her MkIV Golf V6 and it was spark plugs. (She tried everything else first and the cheapest and simplest was the answer!)

Martin F
14-01-2010, 11:51 PM
How long is it since the plugs have been replaced?

FusionReload
14-01-2010, 11:58 PM
How long is it since the plugs have been replaced?

I only bought the car about a month ago the service record shows it hasn't been offically serviced for a few years. Is this likely to be the plugs then? Wouldn't only one of the plugs go? Why would I be getting randomness misfire code?

I'll certainly change the plugs tomorrow I really hope it's only that!

FusionReload
15-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Cheers for the help guys...

Started to replace spark plugs today (which didnt seem that bad) when the problem became apparent when I went to remove cylinder 4s coil pack... half of it came away in my hand! the other half stayed in the hole!!!

After a while trying to prise it all it managed to replace with new coil pack and now runs like a dream!

RickT
15-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I was just going to suggest remove the "good" coil pack which was fitted recently from cylinder 3 and put into cylinder 4, then see if the misfires follows to cylinder 3 to prove a dodgy pack.

The first time a coil pack went down on me, i replaced just the one, then 2 weeks laters another went... then a month later another..

Now i just replace all 4 at the same time.

Cheers

Rick