PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T 20V Cupra Re-map Question

tjkennero
13-01-2010, 10:08 PM
A strange question, perhaps, but how can I tell if my 2002 1.8T 20V Cupra has had its engine remapped by a previous owner? Is there any evidence (such as no obvious rev limiter) that can tell if that's the case? Or does it have to be taken to a remapping agent to reveal what it's current state is? It does seem more responsive than another Cupra I have driven, with virtually no turbo lag, and it is frighteningly quicker than my previous (non-turbo) 140bhp car which made me wonder whether a mere extra 40hp could make THAT much of a difference.

Any and all help appreciated.

TJK

STEWY L
13-01-2010, 10:09 PM
a rolling road would tell you i suppose,
regards,
stewy.

tjkennero
13-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks Stewy. Yet I was wondering if there any more direct clues (e.g. changes to the rev limiter) that could be detected without going to too much trouble. And not having much to compare it with (I only drove the other Cupra once on a brief test drive) I'm just curious to know--I still find it hard to think that a mere extra 40hp on my previous (lighter) car could make such a stark difference, hence the query.

TJ.

STEWY L
13-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks Stewy. Yet I was wondering if there any more direct clues (e.g. changes to the rev limiter) that could be detected without going to too much trouble. And not having much to compare it with (I only drove the other Cupra once on a brief test drive) I'm just curious to know--I still find it hard to think that a mere extra 40hp on my previous (lighter) car could make such a stark difference, hence the query.

TJ.
40 horsies is quite a lot really.
i have a 130 bora, and would expect it to be quite a bit better than a 90,
of course it's the extra torque that makes the difference,not so much the hp, couldn't help with limiter,sorry.
regards,
stewy.

tjkennero
13-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi Stewy,

I suspect you're right. The turbo seems to deliver so much extra torque at the mid-range, whereas my previous non-turbo didn't really get going until after 4000 revs.

Still, if anybody knows what the ordinary behaviour of the rev limiter on a Cupra is (when it cuts in, how severely etc), I'd be curious to compare it with my own.

With thanks and best wishes,

TJ

Avant4me
10-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Put simply, the 1.8t in standard form dies after about 4.5k. Assuming you have a 180 cupra like i did, you will notice that the power really backs off after 4.5k and just "revs to the redline @6200 but not really pulling" A remap will be obvious at this point in the rev range as it will continue to pull hard! If you have not changed the exhaust, then the turbo spinning up at less than 2k is also a big giveaway to a remap.

In short there is no obvious way to tell by looking under the bonnet or such. I would suggest doing a 0-62 test. Standard is supposed to be 8.5 ish. With the custom map on mine and full exhaust, it was doing under 7 seconds.

Let us know how you get on.

Matt

tjkennero
11-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks Matt. Based on what you said, I suspect the previous owner did do a remap. When given its head it will happily keep pulling well into the 7k rev range--there's no noticeable drop off whatsoever, and I have to watch the rev counter to time the gear-change rather than wait for the fall-off in power. (My previous car used to begin to choke around 5k and splutter by the time it reached 6k, but this Leon just keeps on ploughing through redline territory ...)

Also, only today I noticed what sounded like the whistle of the turbo (I normally have the radio on) when driving around in second gear at much less than 2k revs, so that also would square with your experience.

I haven't tried a 0-62 yet but suspect that it must be around the 7 second mark, so all those clues suggest it has been remapped. Will try a proper 0-62 sometime and let you know how it comes in.

Many thanks,

TJ

gbrad2x
12-02-2010, 11:29 AM
A whistle is normal, when it sounds like a police siren then Id start to worry. Dont give it beans until the engine oil warms up and provides good lubrication for the turbo. After a hard drive let the car idle before turning off . The 1.8t powerband at stock is not the greatest. Its best between 2.1rpm to 4500 . If it keeps pulling hard after 4500 then then its mapped. If it is not mapped then get it mapped as the fuel economy is poor and you may as well have bang for your buck. ;)