PDA

View Full Version : Beeping from rear of A4

mully
13-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Hello all, first post here.

I currently drive a 2004 Audi A4 2.5 TDI, 68k miles on the clock.

Please excuse my non-techie language, I'm not a car buff, really, and I've only had the Audi for a short time.

Recently it's started beeping from the rear of the car somewhere around the light cluster. When I open the car "remotely" with the key, there are two beeps as the indicator lights flash twice. When the car is cold and I indicate, there's a beep with each flash of the indicator, but it doesn't do this when the car is warmed up. It had a cambelt replacement just a few days ago (by Audi) and nothing untoward showed up in the diagnostics. I've done a search but can't find any reference to a similar problem. It's running like clockwork apart from this.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this beeping?

Thanks for any info

Stephen

fourringsrus
13-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Stephen ,does your car have a tow bar,or had one previously fitted?
Some vehicles fitted with tow set up are supposed to beep with the indicator but only when trailor is plugged in, to let you know that the trailor flashers are working
Just a thought, even if the system has been removed the loom may remain and working intermitantly,you never know who has been there before
You could also have vagcom read again.
Stuart

mully
13-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks very much, Stuart - yes, the car has a towbar, so your suggestion is a distinct possibility. It's nothing major, I reckon, so I'll have the Audi guys check it again at the next service in another 3000 miles or so.

Stephen

Cygnets1
13-01-2010, 11:22 PM
I would try giving the trailer lighting socket a good dose of WD40 which may help rectify this, and stop the car thinking it has trailer lighting active.

fourringsrus
13-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Ah ha maybe an earth problem or shorting in the socket due to damage or from corrosion due to salty water ingress
Had this before with tow kits being damaged or poorly fitted
Hope it turns out this way as it should a cheap/simple repair
Hit the rep button when it's cured,ha ha
STUART
PS: A good spray with wd40 into the tow socket could even sort it temporarily