PDA

View Full Version : 05, Plate mk5 golf gt tdi

dcrossin
13-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi, Guys

I have a mark 5 golf that has snapped two cambelt tensioner bolts clean of! one of the bolts snapped doine 85, I had that sorted by the garage and had the car back one hour and the car done the same thing again at 30 miles an hour. I am stumped guys so any help or advice would be welcomed, My macanic now saying it small end bearings with wear wich is why cambelt tensioner bolt snapping?????? Please help otherwise looks like a new engine..:confused::zx11::confused::zx11::mad::conf used::mad::confused:

zollaf
13-01-2010, 01:02 PM
first thing, small end bearings will not cause a tensioner bolt to snap. have you just had a new cambelt fitted before this happened.

dcrossin
13-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Yes two months ago

zollaf
13-01-2010, 02:07 PM
did they fit a cambelt kit including new tensioner that comes with new bolts, and did they torque the tensioner up to the specified torque. sounds like they probably didnt :mad:. it sounds to me like the bolts have been overtightened causing them to fail. do you have the old bolts? i ask because a metalurgist would be able to examine/test them and tell you exactly why they failed.

dcrossin
13-01-2010, 02:51 PM
From what the mechanic told me yes he used all new parts and done things too the right torque! I think he has rushed things and not done the job properly???. Like i,ve said he now telling me he thinks it small end bearings with play in them that is causeing the bolts too snap and rekons its cheaper to fit a new engine! VW have told me the same as you that the job wasnt done properly. My next step is too get someone else to do the work prperly and then they can invoice the mechanic that failed too do it properly. Oh yeah forgto too say the car has been re-mapped too 190bhp but that was over two years ago before cambelt done! would that make a difference???

Thanks

zollaf
13-01-2010, 03:23 PM
no, a remap wont make any difference to a cambelt. the only reason for a tensioner bolt to snap is if its been overtightened, or not replaced. the problem we now have though, is that i presume from what youve said, is that the belt has slipped. if it has, then the head will need to come off and be rebuilt, as valves will be bent. that sort of job is going to well over a grand, presuming the head is salvageable. i would advise that you talk to the garage concerned and you will need the damage independently assesed. it would be worth you getting legal advice on this one, unless you are happy to dip into your own pocket, rather a long way.

dcrossin
13-01-2010, 03:48 PM
out of good faith the mechanic has already done the head vales and rocker cover the first time the bolt snapped. Thanks for all your advice i will seek legal help..

zollaf
13-01-2010, 04:40 PM
first port of call really is to go back to your mechanic and give him the opportunity to put it right, but tell him you know the little end bearings wont cause this. you may then need to get a second opinion, preferably from an independent engineer, as to why the bolt failed. its one of those really tricky situations, but keep us informed of what happens.

dcrossin
13-01-2010, 05:08 PM
ok will do! gonna phone him now and see what he says..

Thanks for your advice.

:D:D:D:D