PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Skoda Octavia 1999/V 1.8 20v non-turbo

minichaz
11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi all. I'm new to this so be gentle please. ;)

I've been looking at used Skoda Octavias and have come across a very low mileage 1999/V reg 1.8 20v non-turbo SLXi estate. It was owned by an old couple and has only covered 32k miles. The service stamps and old MOTs all verify the mileage and the documentation verifies the ownership. I'd be getting it from an independant dealer.

Parkers list it at £2205 and it was on the forecourt for £2995. The bloke's pushing for £2800 which I think is too much. Can anyone comment? The car would appear to be immaculate with only a 5 inch scratch on the front left bumper. Exerything appears to work and the car seems like a genuine, honest example.

If I were to buy it what should I worry about mechanically? The timing belt hasn't been done as far as I know and - while the mileage is low - I did read somewhere that it should be changed after 8 years regardless. Clutch seemed okay but I didn't do the fourth-gear-see-if-it-stalls thing. How long do they last? Body work seemed sound but what are Skodas of this age like for sill trouble?

Basically I think I would be happy if I could run it for 5 years (about ~8k a year) for as little cost as possible.

Very many thanks,
Charlie

zollaf
11-01-2010, 12:37 PM
sounds like a good car. obviously the price is slightly high, but reflects the low mileage. but, the cambelt needs changing before you drive it. the clutch should be good, but as always, it depends on how the previous owner drove it. i would try and get the belt change as part of the deal, and personally i wouldnt drive it till its changed, as the age of it will make it brittle and it is liable to go at any moment.

minichaz
13-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi Zollaf. Thanks very much for that. I've got him down to £2700 for it with a new cambelt kit, and waterpump fitted and a new MOT. It's £300 over the Parkers book price (which is £2400 by the way as it's the estate - I looked up the saloon before) but it is in really great condition. With the cambelt and pump done I'm hoping for several years of cheap trouble free motoring out of it!

paul b
13-01-2010, 07:02 PM
As a 2000 W reg Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI SLX (only 49k miles, been off road for at least 3 years of it's life!) hatchback owner, I'd have said £2,800 is far too much! Reason being is it's still V reg and is petrol... they can usually be bought for less than the more desirable diesels (because of fuel econony).

But getting it for £2,700 with all the timing belt + water pump work done isn't too bad... providing the work has definitely been done!

I should add I bought mine fo £620 with a broken turbo (also requiring a new exhaust from the middle pipe backwards). It's all up and running, roadworthy, with a few VRS mods... and it still hasn't cost me £1,500!

minichaz
14-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Which brings me to my next question... I've just asked for the old parts but is there a quick way to verify the work has been done?

zollaf
14-01-2010, 03:08 PM
you could remove the top cambelt cover and have a look at the belt. from memory this is only a quick job. its difficult though to confirm that the water pump has been changed. seeing the old parts is a good idea, but would you know that they came from your car. i think on this one its basically a matter of trust. either that or you have to turn up while they are doing the job. obviously this will come with a warranty for the new cambelt, of one year. the car may not have that length warranty, but i would insist on having it in writing that they guarantee the cambelt for a year. if theve done it properly, they shouldnt bat an eye at this request.